What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Got a nice clean wrap this time. A couple of air bubbles came up after being in the car for 4 hours at 150 degrees, but they came out poking them and going over it again with a squeegee.
14567598472_9e462a095b_b.jpg

14565043181_bde2981cba_b.jpg

looks decent Thaywood. Posting for his father eh? Anyone wanna take guesses on the mileage with me? I'll go first. 87,567

Fixed the popping noise when shifting into reverse and downshifting (loose bolts on the drive shaft to rear diff).

Also, modified my exhaust a bit..... >:)

IMAG0206.jpg

It's temporary until get get my exhaust welded. Sounds pretty...loud haha.

IMAG0206.jpg

Front sway bar end links changed today. Also greased lower control arms and upper control arms.

Baby needed new shoes. The well worn out ones finally wouldn't hold air for more than a few hours. I had 255/45/17 in the rear, and 245/45/17 in the front. They were on my Cougar when someone did a left turn in front of me when I was doing 45. I slid the tires for quite awhile, long enough to wear through the steel belts (first 2 inches on the inside of the tread and about 8 inches long). I drove like that for 7k miles, but the steering wheel shimmy finally made me swap one of them out.

So knowing it wasn't going to get totalled, and having saved 1750 of the insurance companies money by doing my own work (well, I am only 80% complete), I decided they could spring for some reasonable tires. Only had a few more days fro the 70 reward card for buying 4, that brings the price down to better than I thought I could do. I think the rest of the insurance money is going towards a scooter.

I looked for an asymmetrical UHP or MP tire, but only asymmetrical ones I could find were all seasons, and not really something I wanted for my driving style. So I ended up with the BFG G-Force Sport Comp2 in 255/45/17 all around. Plenty of space with the spindle up front and at full lock, already know what 255 in the rear is like (load up 3 people, and have 200 pounds in the trunk, the tires can hit the top of the fender if hitting a big bump at speed). At least without the stagger I can rotate front to back.

14604314391_3d63af60e2_b.jpg

14605547834_85d7fb814e_b.jpg

14420989499_9967fbedac_b.jpg

14604321971_dae34705c0_b.jpg

14627614933_32a9e3856e_b.jpg

14584566606_9b5abdb8f9_b.jpg

14420973578_0b2e32777c_b.jpg

Once I get time to toss on the bumper/headlight/header panel and wash it, then some better shots will be had, not in the shade with a filthy car.

Not yet. It says it needs wirk and there's no pictures of the front end. But it is an LSC but I don't think the seller realizes that. :D

Dammit! It's sold.

I had emailed the guy about that car a few hours after he posted it. Said it had 315,000 on it, needed U joints, a battery, had a tranny leak, needed a headliner and the front seats were worn. Way too many miles and too many problems for $1800. I wonder how much he ended up getting for it

the LSC is all back together.
new:
strut rod bushings
inner tie rods
outer tie rods
upper control arms
lower control arms
rear eccentric bushing

car is gonna be awesome.

Just started again with my beast today - belt tensioner assembly, and idler pulley as well.. fresh trans lines installed that are longer to run up to an aftermarket trans cooler; very messy!

I started replacing ALL of the vacuum lines on top of the engine - EGR and all related lines, and including the little vacuum line tree that is near the power booster. That thing was glued shut, but had a big hole along with other lines. I am assuming my car will probably run a LOT better and cooler once I eliminate the rest of all these vacuum leaks! Also changed the rubber exhaust pipe mounts near the trans since mine were almost disintegrated. I still dont know for sure if I am going to have the stomach to keep this Mark and restore it all the way - I kind of do want that experience, but I was torn on that decision because I had an idea of getting a newer LSC with 80k or less miles (my 94 has easily 250k now). Tomorrow I install a good used condenser, receiver dryer, new seals, and if I have enough time left Ill be able to finally install this excellent crossover pipe as well, and new coolant reservoir. I wont be able to drive the car until next week, which is when I get a smog and hopefully pass with no issues after working on the vacuum hoses (my Mark has always passed in the past according to paperwork). My bushings, ball joints, and everything else except the air bags themselves are trashed, and the car is all over the road and cant be aligned yet. I dont drive my Mark much right now (its been easily 8 months since I regularly drove it last) so I am going to put off the suspension until later. I have pics that I am taking during this work, so everyone can see the before and after, and Im taking a video of the motor so people can chime in and tell me if my motor sounds like its going to blow.

When I got my Mark, when you got the car on the lift and looked at the bottom of the motor, you couldnt see the lines, or oil pan or anything.. there was the big pile of sludge up to 3" deep in some places on the bottom of the motor, all the lines are leaking including the seal, oil filter adapter, PS lines, trans. I felt stupid for buying the car in that condition, but I got it so cheap, and it was much faster just about all the other Marks I've driven, including the newer LSC's. In fact Motor Trend said the same thing, when they test drove a 96 Mark, saying that a 93 they tested in the past felt much stronger and had a slightly better 0-60 time.

I have an old collection of Motor trends - one issue is from 96 titled "Americas Most Powerful." The Mark VIII was on the list with 9 other cars. I also found another motor trend that showed a Mark VIII convertible concept. I am going to scan these tonight, and create a new post to show the articles off if anyone is interested.

Took the 94 for a ride to the dealer, looking for ball joint dust covers, no luck, but NAPA down the street had them. While at the dealer (FORD), I caught a big shot taking pictures of the 94. He was taking them for one of the owners that really likes Mark VIII's. In August their having the wounded warrior car show, and I don't know which car to take, 94, or CE. It wont matter, the girls from the Tilted Kilt will be selling raffle tickets. OH Boy!!!

NICE!

Hey Tony, by the way, I have those chrome brows ready whenever you are!
Send them. I almost forgot about that project. Let me know how much, and where to send some $$$. I've been busy getting my new 94, and playing with her. I like this car. Going have 2 for sale soon.

Since I had the header panel, headlights, bumper cover off, decided to install the relay harness with resistors to...see if fixes my SCIL from dying when turn on the headlights 5% of the time, restore being able to use autolamp.

So far, so good. If I let the headlights fire before starting then it is good, no flicker no error no drop out. I think I get in a state where I have to remove the key if I try to start when they are firing. The relay harness isn't all that great, the wires are pretty pitiful, and I need to remove about 3 feet of wire from the harness to the passenger side ballast, but the car has also sat for awhile and possible the battery wasn't up to it yet. But it was pretty cheap and even the components and connectors and 75% of the wiring is fine, but I might need to up the feed to the relay from the battery.

Need to start looking for some rear air springs. 20 years and 212k miles I think there getting ready to give up.
What do you guy's think of the ones from rockauto? Anyone try these? $207 shipped for a pair.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5618109&cc=1188525

Get the ones from advance auto parts. Add the promo code "TRT30" at the shopping cart for 30% off. It comes out to like $90 right now. Or wait till they offer $50 off $100 to get the spring for $80 a piece if you are not in a hurry. Whats better about these is that they have lifetime warranty.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...pring-a-2108/10017476-P?searchTerm=air+spring

Members online

No members online now.
Back