What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Spray a tiny bit of Window Cleaner on the BELT only while running.. If the squeek shuts up.. Replace the belt

haha, yeah, Bill on the Enthusiast Facebook page suggested the exact same thing. Sure enough, it stopped.

Can anyone confirm the GoodYear Gatorback part number for our Mark (93)? Is it 4060980? Just wondering because it says so on Summit Racing but on eBay it says not compatible with my car. Just want to double check.

Put some chrome accents in my 93.

Chrome multi-function switch

Chrome fuel button. Never got why the trunk button was chrome and the fuel button wasn't.

Cleaned it slightly

The Dreaded Oil Filter Adapter Gasket

Hey Mark viii brothers and sisters, I was able to get my 97 up in the air and replace the dreaded "oil filer adapter" gasket yesterday. It had been puking oil everytime the temp. dropped to single digits. An unpleasant job, but one that needed to be done and done with intention and care. I started noticing the smell of burning oil after driving it, carried it back to the quickie oil shop (hate it but sad truth, they're fast not always good), they said it was a rear main leaking . Thanks to this site and others like it, I compared notes and read posts that helped me find the problem and fix it. So, if your Mark is puking oil during cold starts, this may be your problem kids. I have 3 marks, 93, 94 and 97. Thanks, its aggravating but be patient you'll perserveer. Found a hair line crack in a very tired - hardened gasket! I love this forum and the other one. Thanks, its like being in a car club or something!

Hey Mark viii brothers and sisters, I was able to get my 97 up in the air and replace the dreaded "oil filer adapter" gasket yesterday. It had been puking oil everytime the temp. dropped to single digits. An unpleasant job, but one that needed to be done and done with intention and care. I started noticing the smell of burning oil after driving it, carried it back to the quickie oil shop (hate it but sad truth, they're fast not always good), they said it was a rear main leaking . Thanks to this site and others like it, I compared notes and read posts that helped me find the problem and fix it. So, if your Mark is puking oil during cold starts, this may be your problem kids. I have 3 marks, 93, 94 and 97. Thanks, its aggravating but be patient you'll perserveer. Found a hair line crack in a very tired - hardened gasket! I love this forum and the other one. Thanks, its like being in a car club or something!

I agree, I wouldn't have guessed oil filter adapter gasket, because I have 600,000 miles on other mod motor cars and never had the issue. I guess it is because of the aluminum block that it happens more on the Mark VIII? It isn't a common post on TCCoA or Crownvic.net, but very common on Mark VIII boards. I had slight oil dripping then all of the sudden it was a quart+ on the ground.

My gasket was completely flattened on both sides, oil ports only. The coolant one there was still a ridge when I removed it.

I've done oil filter gaskets on my 2 town cars, Thunderbird and 2 mark viii's. Plus a few others that weren't mine.
I think its just a 4.6 thing in general.

replaced airbag and still had leak. replaced solenoid and stays up! the dread oil filter adapter needs changed.

Look what I found under my console when I was cleaning out my car yesterday :eek:
IMG_20140202_165956.jpg
After cleanup:
IMG_20140202_173143.jpg
Put it all back together and now the car doesn't smell like an ashtray anymore. That was awful!

IMG_20140202_173143.jpg

IMG_20140202_165956.jpg

Didn't you say the trans is on its way out? Maybe it's slipping?

Definitely a possibility. Temp and humidity probably played a role too. I always use the same stretch of country back road. It's straight and level and barely travelled. So it's a good spot to do some playing around. I know the GPS app is pretty much spot on. I've tested it against my speedo, the Cougar's, my dad's '05 F-150, and mom's '11 Expedition and '00 Mountaineer. It is accurate in every vehicle. So I am confident it's giving me an accurate time with each run.

Look what I found under my console when I was cleaning out my car yesterday :eek:
View attachment 828465208
After cleanup:
View attachment 828465207
Put it all back together and now the car doesn't smell like an ashtray anymore. That was awful!

How nasty and careless. I used to smoke but was neat, clean and respectful when I did it. Some people just don't give a crap.

You did a great job cleaning it up though.

How nasty and careless. I used to smoke but was neat, clean and respectful when I did it. Some people just don't give a crap.

Oh man I know it! I used to smoke in my car(s) until one day I flicked a butt out the window in my '88 Town Car and it came back in the back window and burned a dime-sized hole in my perfect blue velour back seat :eek: That was the last time I smoked in a vehicle. I also don't smoke in my house and I'm not allowed to smoke at work. So I'm down to about 2 packs a week. But I'm glad I finally got a good 60 degree day to do all that. The ashtray smell was getting to me. And that was the last place I had to clean. So that did it. Interior smells pretty good now.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this shifter will work in a GEN1 Mark VIII. It's a '99 Continental shifter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-LINCOLN-...ies&hash=item27cf01bb69&vxp=mtr#ht_3593wt_998
$(KGrHqJ,!o4FDOHHfh6qBQ-,ju!CBw~~60_3.jpg$(KGrHqR,!roFDkJELBt1BQ-,jyq(6w~~60_3.jpg$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwywnsBQ-,jwR35Q~~60_3.jpg$T2eC16J,!)0E9s37F,2HBQ-,j1Fjtg~~60_3.jpg
I think a chrome shifter would look nice in a Mark VIII. Could this work with some modification?

$T2eC16J,!)0E9s37F,2HBQ-,j1Fjtg~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!o4FDOHHfh6qBQ-,ju!CBw~~60_3.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!roFDkJELBt1BQ-,jyq(6w~~60_3.jpg

$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwywnsBQ-,jwR35Q~~60_3.jpg

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this shifter will work in a GEN1 Mark VIII. It's a '99 Continental shifter.

Don't know about Mark VIII's but I've seen some people put those in their panthers. I added chrome door locks and a chrome button for the trunk on mine. any more and it starts to get to flashy. I like to keep it simple.

All that crap and no pocket change. Clean is better

With all the cars I have parted, I think I'm up $7.86 . I think I have found more Skittles then anything else.

Don't know about Mark VIII's but I've seen some people put those in their panthers. I added chrome door locks and a chrome button for the trunk on mine. any more and it starts to get to flashy. I like to keep it simple.

If it'll fit a Panther, it should fit a Mark VIII with a little modification. It looks a little like the shifter they used in the Marauders. I'm planning on trying to get some extra chrome stuff for my car too. Turn signal stalk, fuel door button, inner door handles, shifter and bezel, memory seat buttons, among other things. I just think the GEN1's are just a little too bland on the inside.

With all the cars I have parted, I think I'm up $7.86 . I think I have found more Skittles then anything else.

I did find some sticky, crusty, dirty, nasty nickels and a bunch of pennies under there. But they were too nasty to keep. :lol:

I just think the GEN1's are just a little too bland on the inside.

That's why mines a gen II inside :D

I did find some sticky, crusty, dirty, nasty nickels and a bunch of pennies under there. But they were too nasty to keep. :lol:

Pour some Coke a on them, I know pennys are worthless but it's bad ju ju to throw money out.

That's why mines a gen II inside :D

Mine's going to be kind of a hybrid. It already has the GEN2 back seat and it will have GEN2 front seat cushions and upholstery soon. I have already sold most of the trim off the door panels so I can't use them. But I am going to use the chrome door handles. When I'm done, it will be pretty cool. It's going to take me a while to get everything the way I want it though.

since I'm driving much less now, I switched my tune back to 93 and filled up with premium again. Stunned at how much difference there is....she's purring again

I was smoking almost 2 packs a day until 2 weeks ago. I got an E-cig, now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. It may not be totally "healthy" but Butterscotch sure tastes better than Tar

Other than Chinese juice containing antifreeze, what is the health hazard with E-cigs?

Congrats on quiting smoking!

I was smoking almost 2 packs a day until 2 weeks ago. I got an E-cig, now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. It may not be totally "healthy" but Butterscotch sure tastes better than Tar

It'll be one year June 1st for me. I've been slowly lowering the strength. @ 12mg now, hope to be between 6-8mg by xmas. Just wish I didn't wait so long.

Other than Chinese juice containing antifreeze, what is the health hazard with E-cigs?

Congrats on quiting smoking!

Don't believe everything you read on Yahoo News. Hangsen and Dekang are the leaders in eliquid the last time I checked. The antifreeze thing started when one particular prefilled carto or liquid tested positive for trace amounts of diethylene glycol.

Edit:

http://vaperanks.com/do-e-cigarettes-really-contain-antifreeze/

http://www.digitaljournal.com/artic...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

I'm going on 1 year smoke free as well. I tried the e-cig thing, didn't work for me. I started smoking the American Spirit natural tobacco cigarettes, suppose to be non addictive. Smoked about 4 packs of those, cutting down big time in the process, then just stopped one day. Haven't wanted one since, even working with guys who almost all smoke and constantly ask me if I want one.

E-Cigs are vaporized nicotine by the way. When you breath it in, it super heats and vaporizes the liquid nicotine. Nothing really bad about it besides the fact that you're still getting doses of nicotine. It's great if you use it as a method of quitting rather then as a replacement for smoking cigarettes. You're not really breaking the addiction then.

you guys need to straighten up and keep on smoking; esp you Snapper. Smoking is a major contributor to arterial disease which is how I make a living. Snapper- I challenge you to make it THREE packs per day! man up!

Members online

No members online now.
Back