What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

not that uncommon for having obstructed view being an offense i don't think.
also, if it flies off your car and hits something, that would be bad.

ain't that hard to clean off your car. i use a push broom, 30 seconds tops with 6+ inches of snow.

It was frozen crap on the back window. Would have taken more time to sit and find a scraper to scrape it off then it was worth as far as I was concerned and it wasn't gonna fly off and hit anyone.

Plus I was able to parallel park as I have 2 side view mirrors. NJ inspection states if you have a rear tinted window you have two have to side view mirrors. You don't have to have a rear window like if you have a Van or solid cap on your truck.

I know he wanted to right me some BS ticket until I told him I have 2 side view mirrors as inspection stated I needed if I had tint on my window. After I stated that, he handed me my credentials back and said clean it off next time, then walked away :rolleyes:

Woulda taken my truck sept that has no license plate light and since it's dark I didn't wanna risk getting that BS ticket...cop was from other township too and followed me to my home almost before he pulled me over. He must really have needed to write something to make his day :shifty:

Gave up and finally ordered a new Blender Door actuator and Washer Fluid sensor from Rock Auto.

$43.32 total with shipping, now if it can just be warm and dry enough for when it arrives so I can install everything :shifty:

And of course it was the last coil I tested. :rolleyes: While everything was apart I tested all my spare cops to see which were good or bad.

No more misfires for this guy. :)

Also found out one of the hood struts was collapsed. Replaced that with a spare as well. Thank god for a garage full of parts. :wrench

I sold my gold 1996 today to a friend of mine. He will take good care of her, fix her issues, and give her a purple paint job. I was sure to tell him all of her quirks including exactly where to smack her on the rear when the blinker doesn't work. She's probably going to be an around town driver now instead of a cross country adventurer. She's been many places you would never expect to see a Mark VIII. I have slipped and slid out of a muddy back road in Arizona with her, and yelled a "cat" allegory to a bunch of guys in jeeps as they chained up to go in. Nothing like mud riding in a gold Lincoln to get to a gig while singing the theme to Indiana Jones... bahahaha.

As I was transferring tools and such from one car to another I found that my rear window break light bulbs appear to be cut out in my 98. Not just removed by the harness, but cut out by the wires. Are they the same on all Mark Viii's or do I have to find some for a gen II? I can only imagine the previous owner removed them to make room for whatever huge speakers, amps or whatever other equipment that he had hooked up back there.. as evidenced by the bundle of stereo wires and plugs that are routed into my trunk. One question though....anyone know what the two phone wires were for? They go from the driver's feet to the trunk. Dafuq? There's also another solitary blue wire I imagine was to an amp? I was also looking into why my rear neon only works sometimes....The ballast seems to not be glued in anymore and rattles around in there. Does it need to be mounted to metal or does it matter if I just glue it back in? Hum....

I also found that my blend door arm is broken from the metal arm. I think I may glue in a brace to stabilize it after I glue it back together.

I also found that my blend door arm is broken from the metal arm. I think I may glue in a brace to stabilize it after I glue it back together.
Here is a link to repairing your Blend door and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again hopefully. I ordered the assembly from Rock Auto for $32 or so dollars and am doing it for my 3rd time twice on my second '98. Was pretty sure I did the fix but I will soon know if I did or not :confused:

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33692-Blend-Door-Actuator-Removal-and-Repair-(Write-Up)

Be prepared for an all day ordeal while doing this.

Replaced the oil yesterday for the first time - went with Mobile 1 Advanced, oil filter wasn't actually that bad - especially since I used the foil suggestion to make the makeshift funnel.

Today will be spark plugs, and maybe a reinstall of the double din deck. I wasn't 100% happy with the fitment on the metra kit, so, I found a Scosche kit that I think is going to look just a tiny bit cleaner. Last thing will be to install the second 9006 hid bulb, as I finally made the second adapter last night, and hopefully polish up the lenses.

Also need to go pickup wiper blades, as the ones on the car are done/dry.

Continued working on my headlights today to finish up the adapters and new wiring.

Turns out - a lot of Fords / Lincolns happen to have the same connector the HID ballasts use to connect to power for the ABS sensors. Cost me a whole $12 at the local pick n pull for two factory speakers and the two plugs (to put into my tbird so those speakers can go to the Mark)

Little soldering, little split loom, and a little tape and I've got some nice looking wires for the new aftermarket HID ballasts.

4FEBAEAD-17A3-4A8B-AFAC-4D0D7E2E133E.jpg

One thing to note: if you attempt something similar, always check the wires with a multimeter! Turns out on the ones I used black=positive, tan=negative (I checked before soldering just to make sure!)

Weather broke so to speak so I finally did my oil change today. Went a lot faster than most times as the filter pretty much came right out without fumbling around with it. :wrench

Nice hint on the connector for the low beams, I want to build a relay harness and will have to remember that, I have the relays, relay connectors, 9006 ends, resistors (8ohm 50 watt), and would like to finish them without tearing what I already have out.

I can never remember the gyrations I need to go through for each of my 4.6 powered cars to get the filter out. The FN10/MN12 k member and that channel and the power steering hose to hold oil is annoying, my 89 Cougar doesn't have the drop lip in the middle like my 97(s) so it holds even more oil to leak when put level and drive.

97 Mark VIII I think I have to flip it, lift it up, then out towards the wheel, drop tapered end, and pull it past the sway bar.
97 Cougar I have to drop tapered end down, pull it towards center of car, pull down, then flip sideways to get it out.
00 Grand Marquis turn steering wheel fully to one side, and it is pretty easy, but I don't like doing that on ramps.

New Richmond shock mounts

Last Wednesday I drove to Columbia, SC and visited Jay Richmond (......) who helped me put in new Monroe Sensatrac shocks and his shock mounts. I was surprised at how easy it was in comparison to some of the other suspension work we have done. Jay showed me his lathe and some new tools and his new home with garage. The ride down and back was great averaged, 28 mpg. It was time for new shocks. I don't notice as much of the "clunk" noise I have been experiencing so that was an added bonus! Great help and advice from folks on the forum! If any one out there knows of some decent Gen II front seats I would be interested in them as I would like to replace the Gen I seats I currently have. Thanks!

0108141542.jpg
0108141543.jpg
0108141543a.jpg

0108141543a.jpg

0108141542.jpg

0108141543.jpg

Last Wednesday I drove to Columbia, SC and visited Jay Richmond (......) who helped me put in new Monroe Sensatrac shocks and his shock mounts. I was surprised at how easy it was in comparison to some of the other suspension work we have done. Jay showed me his lathe and some new tools and his new home with garage. The ride down and back was great averaged, 28 mpg. It was time for new shocks. I don't notice as much of the "clunk" noise I have been experiencing so that was an added bonus! Great help and advice from folks on the forum! If any one out there knows of some decent Gen II front seats I would be interested in them as I would like to replace the Gen I seats I currently have. Thanks!

It was cool having you over again. I always enjoy working on a Mark VIII. The car really looks great with that new paint job!

We'll have to come up with some more things to do to it once I get a lift in there. lol.

multifunctional switch

Yesterday I bought a mark viii, today I washed and scrubbed it, and repaired the multifunction switch (I had no right turn signal)

I have been having a wiper switch problem for a while will not work intemittently. I am wondering if this could be the problem? I clicked on link and at quick glance did not see anything Lincoln specific. Are these special ( like most things ) to Mark 8 s ? Is it a bitch to replace?

Got the ol' girl back on the road again yesterday! Turns out the grinding noise I was getting was from the exhaust flange at the H-Pipe rubbing the driveshaft. Why? I have no idea. I was going to take the rear half of the exhaust down at the H-pipe and try to bend it to get it away from the driveshaft, but when I started loosening the nuts at the flange, it moved into the proper position by itself :confused: It must have been in a bind for some reason and when I loosened the nuts, it corrected itself. Now it's good to go. Also changed the oil for the first time since I got it. The old oil came out like black water. Hmmmmm...

I have been having a wiper switch problem for a while will not work intemittently. I am wondering if this could be the problem? I clicked on link and at quick glance did not see anything Lincoln specific. Are these special ( like most things ) to Mark 8 s ? Is it a bitch to replace?

It could be, mine was for the turn signal itself - I didn't divulge into the wiper portion of the switch.

As far as replacing goes - I didn't think it was to bad, but, I'm pretty willing to dive into things. You simply remove the airbag, steering wheel, clock spring.

Next on the rattle can backwoods paintjob ticket.... the mirrors, front bumper and headlight trims.

1517652_10152207539753760_1037978145_n.jpg
1601394_10152207478978760_116110674_n.jpg

1601394_10152207478978760_116110674_n.jpg

1517652_10152207539753760_1037978145_n.jpg

Over the last three days, I put 9 hours into "restoring" a set of HID headlight housings I got when I bought my parts car. They were REALLY bad when I got them. I still have to wet sand and and buff the outside lenses, I'm just waiting for the seal to dry before I do it. They're not perfect but overall, I can't complain.

BEFORE RESTORE
CAM00324.jpg
CAM00352.jpg
CAM00353.jpg

AFTER RESTORATION -NO FLASH
CAM00374.jpg

AFTER RESTORATION -WITH FLASH
CAM00373.jpg

CAM00324.jpg

CAM00352.jpg

CAM00353.jpg

CAM00374.jpg

CAM00373.jpg

Wow, Dreamy, That looks real good! I have to do the same thing on my Black 97's Trunk lid, bumpers, headlight trim too. What product spray did you use?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I worked really hard on these.

Yeah, it's Chrome Brite tape. Hard to find in Advanced Auto Parts now. Its a discontinued item, got it off their clearances rack.

I just ordered 5 rolls from Auto Barn, 4.99 per roll. Same price at O'Rilley but shipping was much more. I sand and polish the outside of the lense before I take them apart. Easier to polish when I put it the vise, just need a touch up when put back together.

[video=youtube;xig5mt3Ssxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xig5mt3Ssxg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVH_5vEzMNCR-jO2XKbi0HA[/video]
Just a little video of the '95 with the cherry bomb dual exhaust from the '97 LSC. That's my son Tommy holding the camera. :)

Members online

Back