What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Well, the Mark is down for a minute. Had to drive the Mountaineer today. I think something may have come loose underneath. I have a severely horrible grinding noise coming from under the car. It does it taking off and when I take my foot off the gas. Under load it's quiet. And in reverse it's really loud. I'll be putting it on the ramps this afternoon and checking everything out. I think it has something to do with the exhaust but I don't know what it could be. I hope it sounds worse than it is :(

Also, having a wierd issue with the car. After I park it and it sits for about 30 minutes, the keypad stops working and the interior lights won't come on when I open the door. But if I push the unlock button on the remote everything comes on like it should :confused: Never seen that happen before.

Do you have the 'door ajar' message?

You guys up north need to look out for us guys down here in the south and shut the dam door. We don't want that cold weather. Yesterday it was in the 80's and tonight wind chills in the twenties. Keep that cold stuff up there. We don't like our winters to be more than 6 or 7 days long. LOL

Be safe up there. That weather is brutal. I used to haul potatos from North Dakota and Northern Maine. That is why I now live in Florida.

She started up no problem, didn't even make all those lovely noises it likes to make when it's <5 degrees. Car said it was -16.

Thaywood, it's the door switch that's in the latch'. Not the one that causes the door ajar message, but it looks just like it. Needs to be removed and cleaned and relubed. Kind of a pain in the ass. It's not telling the car the door is shut so after 20 mins or so it kills the power to everything.

Do you have the 'door ajar' message?
Nope. It did have it a couple of months ago but I lubed the P/S door latch and it went away.
Thaywood, it's the door switch that's in the latch'. Not the one that causes the door ajar message, but it looks just like it. Needs to be removed and cleaned and relubed. Kind of a pain in the ass. It's not telling the car the door is shut so after 20 mins or so it kills the power to everything.
Ah. That makes sense. I've got to go into the D/S door panel soon anyway to replace the outer door handle when it finally lets go. So I'll check that one then.

Thanks!!! :)

Between yesterday and today, I picked up a 96 LSC parts car. Switched all my seats out and front and rear bumper.

Still have to do all the working electrical door mechanics, drivers door handle, body trim, dash and console and headliner/quarter panels.

So much to do, not enough hours in the day to do it!!

went to use the mark too take 2 rims from the trailblazer to have tires mounted and shes frozen to the ground unable to brakes the wheels loose then i put it in gear and the throttle is frozen shut also noticed the heater fan aint turning on i wonder why

I installed the sunroof I found at the junkyard today. The old sunroof was indeed aftermarket, and I identified it as an ASC 840. I scoured every car in the relatively small junkyard with a measuring tape so I could exchange the one I had already bought from them. I found one in a 2009 Trailblazer. It was in near perfect condition except one piece that had a broken screw hole, though I was able to drill and set a new screw in at a nearby location. Something to note when dealing with these sunroofs: ASC was bought out and their name then changed to ASI. The newer units use the exact same specs and bolted in perfectly without having to change the mounting bracket. The control buttons also fit in the same overhead slot but look a lot nicer than the old ASC 4 button. Easy wiring job with only 3 wires: constant 12v, ground, acc +.

I installed the sunroof I found at the junkyard today. The old sunroof was indeed aftermarket, and I identified it as an ASC 840. I scoured every car in the relatively small junkyard with a measuring tape so I could exchange the one I had already bought from them. I found one in a 2009 Trailblazer. It was in near perfect condition except one piece that had a broken screw hole, though I was able to drill and set a new screw in at a nearby location. Something to note when dealing with these sunroofs: ASC was bought out and their name then changed to ASI. The newer units use the exact same specs and bolted in perfectly without having to change the mounting bracket. The control buttons also fit in the same overhead slot but look a lot nicer than the old ASC 4 button. Easy wiring job with only 3 wires: constant 12v, ground, acc +.

Mine is an aftermarket but not labeled, I suspect it to be an ASC. Good to know about the name change for when I need to service it. Thanks!!

Well, still driving the Mountaineer. Haven't been able to work on the Mark due to the weather. It's frakkin' COLD!!! It was 9 degrees yesterday morning and barely made it into the twenties all day. It was 14 this morning and should be in the 40's for a high. And it's supposed to be in the 70's this weekend, but rainy. Anyhoo, I've got another wierd issue. The remote for the '95 Mark won't work anymore. I put new batteries in it and it still won't work. However, the remote for the '97 Cougar will work for both the "95 Mark and the Cougar. But since Mom's driving the Cougar now I had to give her the remote back :( So now I guess I need to reprogram my remote for the Mark? How do you do that on a GEN1? And why did it stop working in the first place? And how the heck did the Cougar's remote spontaneously start working the Lincoln too? :confused:

Spree/Dan, here is a video of the heat and cool technique. It seems to work well for larger, non creased dents like yours. I've never tried it but it looks safe and makes a lot of sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0UAUBE-Hmg

Interesting videos Ocho! I watched a few of them. When the weather warms up I'll have my son video me trying some of these Technics. I can't make it any worse!

So now I guess I need to reprogram my remote for the Mark? How do you do that on a GEN1?

Programming the Keyless Entry Remote Transmitter:

Empty your glove box (Trust us... It's entertaining!)

With the glove box open all of the way, pull the tabs at the back towards the center of the glove box so that the box will open past its factory stopping point. On mine, the one at the top left is clearly visible, and the one on the right is actually located in the middle of the side.

Put the key in the ignition and rotate it to the on position. You do not have to start the car.

Behind where the glove box was, you should see all kinds of control boxes with oodles of wire going here and there. You should also see a white or gray Molex plug that is not connected to anything. In mine it is located at the bottom left. With the key still in the on position, short the two pins in this connector with a piece of wire. It only takes a second, and when you remove the wire, the locks should cycle one time to acknowledge that you are in the setup mode.

Press the lock button on the remote that you want to be associated with Number One mirror and seat settings. The locks should cycle one time.

Press the lock button on the remote that you want to be associated with Number Two mirror and seat settings. The locks should again cycle one time.

Press the lock button on the remote that you want to be Number Three. The locks should cycle once more. The third and subsequent remotes will not be associated with seat and mirror settings.

Turn off the key, return the glove box to its rightful place and develop a better filing system for your glove box junk. The key fobs should now be programmed.

Mine is an aftermarket but not labeled, I suspect it to be an ASC. Good to know about the name change for when I need to service it. Thanks!!

You can figure out the brand and model by measuring the size of the glass, and cross referencing on a parts site like www.sunroofdoctor.com. No models or brands have exactly the same size glass. Very helpful guy at that business. I called him while standing in the junkyard for the ASC/ASI information and compatibility. He was spot on.

As for the dent puller on small dents: The two suction cups that came with my puller are a little too big for something that small, unfortunately, but I'm tracking down small cups that would fit on mine. Several places sell pneumatic dent pullers, and if I had to buy one again I would go for one that comes with as small of a cup as you can find, not just the two big ones.

If you try the dry ice for fixing dents, I theorize that you should only touch the center of the dent with dry ice and not the rim. I watched a number of videos myself, but the ones where it didn't work, they either didn't heat it up first, and/or they touched the rim with the dry ice (or even just stupidly placed a large block on the area and wondered why nothing happened). In order for the metal contraction to effect a dent a severe heat differential must occur between the dent and the undented areas. Thus, it would be extremely difficult to use this method on a very small dent.

IMG-20140107-00062.jpg

-5 degress... However the roads were clear and I had a night out planned. Had to take out my car. First time I drove it for at least 2 weeks. It was -22 the day before. It started fine and the air ride never deflated. It's winter driving will be short lived as there is more snow/ice/sleet in for forecast Friday.

IMG-20140107-00062.jpg

found the source of my creaking and squeaking front pass side...only 26k miles on this
----
P1090866.JPG

P1090866.JPG

This weekend I plan on using some spare coils to figure out which side has the misfire, then narrow it down from there. Seems every winter or two she develops one. I think the cold snap caused something, It was not happy with those cold starts.

Spree/Dan, here is a video of the heat and cool technique. It seems to work well for larger, non creased dents like yours. I've never tried it but it looks safe and makes a lot of sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0UAUBE-Hmg
Looks like a good thing for me to try on a door ding I have right behind my Drivers door but I also have some hail damage on my hood. Kinda doubting it would work on the Aluminum hood :(

Been sitting for a mouth or so because of the weather. Rear was sitting about 4" lower then normal. Started it and it aired up without any problems. First chance I had to check out the damage to the quarter a little closer. Looks like no door jam, wheel well or interior damage.
May have to start looking for some more rear bags for the future...anybody want to donate a set to my save the Mark VIII foundation? :)

Been sitting for a mouth or so because of the weather. Rear was sitting about 4" lower then normal. Started it and it aired up without any problems. First chance I had to check out the damage to the quarter a little closer. Looks like no door jam, wheel well or interior damage.
May have to start looking for some more rear bags for the future...anybody want to donate a set to my save the Mark VIII foundation? :)

Not right now but I will donate to the Spree "Send my son to Military School" campaign. :D

Finally went to the junk yard and pulled the black 96 LSC rear seats. They're in slightly better condition than my current base seats without the perforations. In addition, I get a center arm rest. Both seats fit inside the car if you put the passengers seat back down as far as it will go. I'm going to clean and rejuvenate with some leather cleaner/conditioner for a week or so and then install them.

Just went to pick up some Brick Oven Pizza for Friday night dinner with my Father and Nephew. Pull off highway and 1 turn to my road and a cop puts on the lights behind me and pulls me over for guess what :confused:

Pulled me over cause I had some snow still on my back window :eek2: Told him I have 2 side view mirrors so it's not like I can't see behind me :shifty:

Just went to pick up some Brick Oven Pizza for Friday night dinner with my Father and Nephew. Pull off highway and 1 turn to my road and a cop puts on the lights behind me and pulls me over for guess what :confused:

Pulled me over cause I had some snow still on my back window :eek2: Told him I have 2 side view mirrors so it's not like I can't see behind me :shifty:
Your not allowed to have snow on your back window? What kind of a state is that?
Here you don't even have to have windows, fenders, doors or even an exhaust. You can go to a jy and pick out the worst drive-able car and it would be fine.

Your not allowed to have snow on your back window? What kind of a state is that?
Here you don't even have to have windows, fenders, doors or even an exhaust. You can go to a jy and pick out the worst drive-able car and it would be fine.
I do believe we are the worst state behind California for Motor vehicle BS laws :(

not that uncommon for having obstructed view being an offense i don't think.
also, if it flies off your car and hits something, that would be bad.

ain't that hard to clean off your car. i use a push broom, 30 seconds tops with 6+ inches of snow.

Members online

No members online now.
Back