What did you do to your Mark VIII today?

Got a new sound coming from the front of the car now. It doesn't sound good at all. Every time I hit a hard bump like when the pavement gets a little higher when you cross a bridge or a small but abrupt dip in the road, I get a loud knock like something is hitting the floorboard. It sounds like it's coming from the left front fenderwell. I've had the front wheels off and nothing appears loose. It's a scary noise. But it only does it on very abrupt bumps or when the suspension bottoms out (easy to do with the mushy Arnott shocks and slightly lowered front end). I know I need sway bar end links, but this sounds like a hammer hitting the inner fenderwell. It's horrible...:(

It could very well be those Arnotts...they get noisy. It took me a whole year to figure that out on my 97.

Sounds like the upper control arm to me.

+1, or the Shock inside the Strut is shot.

You should consider not driving the car until its fixed.. ball joints failing at speed is a great way to total a Mark

Kfan - shipping will be $250 to your address..once your MO arrives for the total balance they'll be shipped

Thanks Terry, I want to get it cleaner in there. I've got all the boots on order

jacked it up, fixed the fuel hose leak, then washed it...it was still 55 degrees at 9:30 pm here in NW Georgia!

Got a new sound coming from the front of the car now. It doesn't sound good at all. Every time I hit a hard bump like when the pavement gets a little higher when you cross a bridge or a small but abrupt dip in the road, I get a loud knock like something is hitting the floorboard. It sounds like it's coming from the left front fenderwell. I've had the front wheels off and nothing appears loose. It's a scary noise. But it only does it on very abrupt bumps or when the suspension bottoms out (easy to do with the mushy Arnott shocks and slightly lowered front end). I know I need sway bar end links, but this sounds like a hammer hitting the inner fenderwell. It's horrible...:(

Is that the only car you have? When mine made noise, I didn't drive it.... until I figured out the problem. If nothing's loose, it sound's like it the strut's maybe (if it's coming from the front!)( I don't know about the Arnott crap!).... I mean the (air spring's)!! I replaced mine with OEM! They were expensive but were worth every penny of it! (I know some will disagree!)
Mine also made noise because of the....
upper control arm's
front stabilizer bar end links
rear upper shock mount's
rear shocks
All of these sounded like it was coming from the front!
I'm not sure about the lower control arm's and strut rod bushing's (mine are worn out but not making any noise yet!)
Or it's very possible I don't know what the heck I talking about and this car has lasted this long just by chance!!

Is that the only car you have? When mine made noise, I didn't drive it.... until I figured out the problem. If nothing's loose, it sound's like it the strut's maybe (if it's coming from the front!)( I don't know about the Arnott crap!).... I mean the (air spring's)!! I replaced mine with OEM! They were expensive but were worth every penny of it! (I know some will disagree!)

I wouldn't disagree. :) Still lovin mine and should for 15 years to come. The one thing I do disagree about is that they aren't struts Spree. :p

(Air Shock Assembly) or (Air Shock) for short. Arnott, no good! 1 - 4 year tops and then those things are just history, bolted to the car. I'm glad to see when someone on here has purchased a new set of OEM air shocks. There just isn't a better way to go, if you want to stay on air. Ok, that's my input of $0.02 :shifty:

Sounds like the upper control arm to me.

Could be. But those UCA's are practically brand new TRW's that I installed a couple of years ago.

It could very well be those Arnotts...they get noisy. It took me a whole year to figure that out on my 97.

That's a possibility too. I really hope not. They still ride relatively smooth and don't make any noise when I push down on the front end. And I've had a set of Arnott's crap out on my '96 and they didn't sound like that.

Mine also made noise because of the....
upper control arm's
front stabilizer bar end links
rear upper shock mount's
rear shocks
All of these sounded like it was coming from the front!
I'm not sure about the lower control arm's and strut rod bushing's (mine are worn out but not making any noise yet!)
Or it's very possible I don't know what the heck I talking about and this car has lasted this long just by chance!!

I've also got the Cougar that I can drive if I have to but I just filled the Mark up and the Cougie has 1/2 a tank. I can't afford to waste the gas. I've got to get back under it again this weekend and check everything out. It is definitely coming from the front left.

I wouldn't disagree. :) Still lovin mine and should for 15 years to come. The one thing I do disagree about is that they aren't struts Spree. :p

(Air Shock Assembly) or (Air Shock) for short. Arnott, no good! 1 - 4 year tops and then those things are just history, bolted to the car. I'm glad to see when someone on here has purchased a new set of OEM air shocks. There just isn't a better way to go, if you want to stay on air. Ok, that's my input of $0.02 :shifty:

I'd love nothing more than to get some OEM air shocks but it's just not in the cards. And if it makes the sound again today on the way home from work, I'll definitely park it until I can figure out what's going on.

It'll be ok caprice, don't be sad.

Yes Kirk, it's real life and serious too. I would say what's on my mind about what they're all talking about up there but I never had any dealings because I have seen what happened to one member on here a few years back.

Annnd, I waxed my car early this morning a second time because it was cool in the garage and the wheels and tires are sparkling.

2013-02-27225611_zps90602e53.jpg

2013-02-27225636_zps7401b024.jpg

2013-02-27225706_zps90c0f43d.jpg

2013-02-27230311_zps90801d97.jpg

2013-02-27230146_zps349b0042.jpg

2013-02-27230210_zpse6eea6d5.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. Didn't realize they were like that till now.

I don't know what he's trying to buy from you, but good luck getting any money from him...

I think you know that though.

As many times as he's sent me PMs regarding my wheels.. he better be serious... or Ban!

My brain has been turned off for the day. With the exception of this response, all of my comments from here on out will be either smilies, pictures or gifs.

Going to be paying close attention to your relies/ comments, all day. :shifty: Wait, you said "from here on out"

I don't think you can make it through the weekend. ;)

Members online

Back