What did you do to your LS today?

... Pic with wheel on?

I will, just need some time to have the wheels off and out for tire removal, one rim for curb damage repair (bought it like that), repaint wheels and calipers.

The 04 LSE is going up on all four next week, got many things I need to get done on it. Bumper coming off and out for repair/paint. Cleaning up the wheel wells and such. Some underbody clean up also. (plug a couple of holes) doing the AC compressor gasket while I got the drivers wheel and splash off. Finish off some cosmetics all around. Hood grille teeth painting with matching lower grille.

The trunk "lights" aren't lights; they're reflectors.

Yes, trying to transplant 2nd gen trunk lights would require the lights, trunk lid, license plate surround and bumper... At least.

I've seen someone skip the bumper. Didn't look bad. One of those things only we would notice

...but didn't realize that the Gen II had the smoked clear turn signals (or at least the Sort models?) while the Gen I were all red.

Dumb question - wouldn't it be easier to swap to the Gen II truck lid and then just use the Gen II tail lights than to try and track down the Gen I Euro tail lights?

[factory] all Gen 1s: all red
04/05 LSEs: all red
All other Gen 2s (including 06): two tone

They're not really smoked, just clear. Gen 1s are deceiving because the backing is flat chrome, so the inner tail lights light up stupidly bright when behind them, whereas other areas lose the light in reflector bowls.

As far as availability, yes a Gen 2 conversion is much easier. However, some people will much prefer the Gen 1 look and there is much less physical labor and cost involved.

And some people won't sell the outers they are sitting on doing nothing with huh Frank?

ABS and Advance Trac lights

OK, I found some info in the workshop manual. The L/Rear sensor seems easy enough to change, But the Yaw rate sensor means removing the console which I've never done. Got parts down to $65 for motorcraft ABS sensor and $375 for Yaw sensor, from list. It say that the ABS module must be configured and calibrated, Can I do that, or is it a dealer task ?

Lamarque estimate 6112016.jpg

As far as availability, yes a Gen 2 conversion is much easier. However, some people will much prefer the Gen 1 look and there is much less physical labor and cost involved.

Funny, I love the Gen II look vs. the Gen I look - reminds me of another one of my favorite sedans, the E38 BMW 7-Series.

If the Gen I and Gen II outer tail lamps (the ones in the quarter panels) are the same other than the color of the lenses, then yes I would use the Gen I inner Euro with the Gen II outer. They would most likely match up about the same as the Gen II inner and outer units, which is to say not perfectly.

OK, I found some info in the workshop manual. The L/Rear sensor seems easy enough to change, But the Yaw rate sensor means removing the console which I've never done. Got parts down to $65 for motorcraft ABS sensor and $375 for Yaw sensor, from list. It say that the ABS module must be configured and calibrated, Can I do that, or is it a dealer task ?

Center console is easy to remove.
You can do the calibration yourself if you have a scan tool that can initiate the procedure.

Well, finally got time to put the 03 V8 up on the lift and check the suspension THOROUGHLY. Spent a good hour checking all bolts,ball joints,control arm bushings and stabilizer bar bushings and links.
I did this because of that pic the guy posted of a snapped ball joint stud...........got me worried.
But after all this I could not find anything loose,all checked good.
It is a rattling on bumpy streets that I thought might be loose bolts or parts. My wife has been driving the other LS until I checked this one. I told her we'll trust this one now,as I feel it is nothing serious. Probably those stabilizer bar links that look like tiny tie rod ends.
If one snaps,I'll replace them.
Checked wheels,brake calipers,bearings and everything. Checked exhaust for loose hangers too. don-ohio :)^)

And some people won't sell the outers they are sitting on doing nothing with huh Frank?

1. I at least cut them open
2. I am not supporting your addiction

If the Gen I and Gen II outer tail lamps (the ones in the quarter panels) are the same other than the color of the lenses, then yes I would use the Gen I inner Euro with the Gen II outer. They would most likely match up about the same as the Gen II inner and outer units, which is to say not perfectly.

The only physical difference is that Gen 1s have ridges sunken into the lenses. If you mix lights, the peaks of those ridges will be in the same plane as the outers, but the valleys will be noticeable.

1. I at least cut them open

Huh? What you into on this, mod? You cut open a 1st GEN Euro two tone outer lens? Why?

2. I am not supporting your addiction

LOL, com'on ... I only have 7 complete sets and couple of single, it's not that bad.
Just think of it this way, when the time comes, I'll be the leading seller of LS tail lamps on fleebay.

Observed some new banging in and out of Park to Reverse on the 04 LSE yesterday. Doesn't do it every time. Fun fun fun.

Observed Driver side rear brake running hot since brake refresh on the 04 LSE yesterday. Probably needs a Caliper or might try and free it up a bit. Will keep an eye on it as brakes are still very new and may just need to break in properly. Seems only hot and stinky on first little drive, further on the way home ... with plenty of hard braking seemed to return to normal. Arrived in driveway with no heat or stink on RR. <shrugs> While fueling up with go-juice on the way home it was very noticeable.

Observed some new banging in and out of Park to Reverse on the 04 LSE yesterday. Doesn't do it every time. Fun fun fun.

Observed Driver side rear brake running hot since brake refresh on the 04 LSE yesterday. Probably needs a Caliper or might try and free it up a bit. Will keep an eye on it as brakes are still very new and may just need to break in properly. Seems only hot and stinky on first little drive, further on the way home ... with plenty of hard braking seemed to return to normal. Arrived in driveway with no heat or stink on RR. <shrugs> While fueling up with go-juice on the way home it was very noticeable.

It may just be a dry caliper slider pin. Mine did the same thing due to a ripped bellows boot seal. Caught it in time before the pin became corroded and permanently damaged it and the caliper mounting bracket. Cleaned it up as well as the bore in the caliper mounting bracket, repacked it with fresh dielectric grease and install the new bellows boot seal. It has works perfectly since.

^ Yeah, I actually did clean up the sliders and greased them well. I will most likely revisit this work and redo. I failed to put fresh rubbers on despite having a complete kit. I use my buddy's after hours hoist and I had forgotten the kit at home. I did clean everything up and ran the sliders and brackets on the bench brush wheel. Hoping a second go at it will loosen it up, both calipers turned in fine so I'm actually surprised it's sticking a bit.

Does seem to loosen up and stops heating up, it's when it's been sitting in our yard at work for the week and I get in it. Noticed the same thing previous week. Also when I went to go put more fuel in.

Wife borrowed it when I took hers to get the exhaust tips welded on, checked it when she pulled into the driveway, not overheating. Had also asked her to take notice of that wheel when she got to work with it, to see if it had excessive heat plus a stink coming from it, she said it did not.

Seems like when it sits for the week for me ... on initial drive but then loosens up by the time I get all the way home.

I had stopped a couple of times on the way home and had already stopped. Was only heating up after first start to gas station near my work.

Like you said, the slider may be the issue. I'll revisit soon as possible.

Thanks!

So I got some metal enamel and some primer.. This piece is just one coat of the enamel paint with no sanding and no primer and it looks amazing already. I am going to lightly sand the second piece with 600 grit and prime it then paint it to see what one turns out better. Then I will use the preferred process on my front two trim pieces. IMG_0342.jpgIMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

replaced the fuel filter and rotated the tires...then realized I am in need a suspension pieces pretty quickly....

I need to do this to my rear spoiler, it's looking pretty rough

turned out like **** with just 1 coat no prep other than cleaning... 2nd coat orange peeled... light sanded down the other trim pieces and uses krylon metal primer and about to throw my first coat on lightly

Joe, If I change the ABS sensor and hold off on the yaw, do I still need to configure and calibrate the ABS module ? or, only after the yaw sensor is installed? Thanks.

There is no recalibration when replacing wheel speed sensors.

AutoEnginuity is one of several tools that can initiate the AdvanceTrac calibration. I think that maybe Forscan can do it now too. I'm not sure, so check with them about it.

Well, i just changed out the L/R ABS sensor and the ABS light is now off, and the Advance trac light, as well ! Leading me to believe the error codes are related and or the Ford scanner is misleading. Glad I didn't shell out the $375 for the Yaw sensor.

Huh? What you into on this, mod? You cut open a 1st GEN Euro two tone outer lens? Why?

LOL, com'on ... I only have 7 complete sets and couple of single, it's not that bad.
Just think of it this way, when the time comes, I'll be the leading seller of LS tail lamps on fleebay.

Misunderstood. I guess you were referencing someone else? I don't have a Euro set. I have a full G1 set on the car, spare G1 inners, a full set of G2s, and a right inner Euro. I cut open the G2 outers and G1 inners to pimp them out. But then I also opened a set of headlights, clear markers, G2 fogs, and a dash to make for multiple Works In Progress with little emphasis on Progress due to the amount of time given and exhaustion received from Work

Hmmm and here I thought I was going to hit you up for one 1st GEN euro outer.

Someone on LVC must have some 1st GEN outer two tone euro's .... they'd want to part with for good money!

Members online

No members online now.
Back