What did you do to your LS today?

Upper intake gaskets came today so I figured i would get crackin on the valve cover gaskets.. should be driving by dinner time tomorrow WIN_20160617_21_25_16_Pro.jpgWIN_20160617_21_27_27_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160617_21_25_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20160617_21_27_27_Pro.jpg

Just finished up the tune up.. It wasnt even close as bad as everyone said it was going to be... valve cover gaskets,plugs, coils, pcv, crank case vent hose etc... oil change blah blah blah lol... IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Grindy, buzzy noise front of engine, not very loud

Today I replaced both upper tensioners with the new updated ones thinking it would stop the noise. It didn't. Happens intermittently at lower RPM's. Almost sounds like a bad water pump bearing of old but comes and goes according to rev's. between 900 and 1500. I did take of belt and check all items spun by it and they are all smooth feeling. Could it be cooling fan pump? I can induce the noise by having car in gear and turning steering wheel. I can also hear it when going slow up my driveway but it disappears when get up to speed some.

Detailed the ol' LS. Buffed and waxed the car using Turtle Wax's Black car wax...I think it worked really well :)

20160619_204648.jpg

20160619_204653.jpg

20160619_204859.jpg

Bought an '09 black Silverado Z71 4X4 to park beside all the LS'es.

Z71.JPG

'97 Maxima is being gifted to my friend's kid who just got his license.

Z71.JPG

This evening I was able replaced the driver's rear LCA and eliminated that absolutely nasty squeaking/screeching noises. The grease zerk trick only worked for about 500 mile on the driver side LCA outer bushing since apparently the bushing must have been too far damaged before the modification. The grease zerk trick is still working on the passenger side LCA, even though that one also had damaged seals, but the passenger side LCA outer bushing never started squeaking. Just need to buy some new Moog grease-able rear sway bar link ends and schedule the time to change out the passenger side LCA as well. Then I will need to take the car to get it re-aligned.

BTW, from what I was able to find, right now Apple Ford Parts seems to have the best price on the Gen II rear LCA p/n's; 6W4Z-5A649-AA and 6W4Z-5A649-AB, bought the pair for $485 plus shipping. Company info:

Apple Ford Parts,
7200 150th Street West
Apple Valley, Minnesota, 55124
USA
844-847-8715
parts@appleautosparts.com

Nice, thanks for the apple tip. BTW, I tried to do a thank you on your description of changing sway bar bushings but it didn't take so I'll say here:

Thanks you for the great writeup.

You probably know that I followed your procedure (mostly). I did use the dremel under there and it was as scary as I had feared but thank goodness it didn't slip and cut a hose or my hand or something.

I do have a question - did your front end quiet right down after you changed these bushings? Cause mine didn't and I'm now swapping lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and shocks to try to eliminate more noise.

Nice, thanks for the apple tip. BTW, I tried to do a thank you on your description of changing sway bar bushings but it didn't take so I'll say here:

Thanks you for the great writeup.

You probably know that I followed your procedure (mostly). I did use the dremel under there and it was as scary as I had feared but thank goodness it didn't slip and cut a hose or my hand or something.

I do have a question - did your front end quiet right down after you changed these bushings? Cause mine didn't and I'm now swapping lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and shocks to try to eliminate more noise.

Yes it did - no additional front end noises, but the car only has 52K miles on it, so I am sure there will be more coming that will need to be fixed $$$

got both VCs done left side is a pain only had a drop of oil in one spark plug well. the oil dip stick tube came out. getting it back in was a pain just finding the opening sucked. but when i was under the car i noticed the sway bar links didnt look to good. the rubber was shot and grease was gone. ordered them from rock auto. i have all the parts for the cooling system. waiting for a cool cloudy day to do it 2002 ls v8 31,700miles. it will be 15 years old dec 13 runs like the day i got it.

Thanks ! i am going to look for the red cross hair and use acetone or paint thinner to remove part of the paint color on the emblem so i can fit in a tiny led to illuminate it when i turn the car on

Thanks ! i am going to look for the red cross hair and use acetone or paint thinner to remove part of the paint color on the emblem so i can fit in a tiny led to illuminate it when i turn the car on

That will be slick! Hope to see pix of that.

This evening I was able replaced the driver's rear LCA and eliminated that absolutely nasty squeaking/screeching noises. The grease zerk trick only worked for about 500 mile on the driver side LCA outer bushing since apparently the bushing must have been too far damaged before the modification. The grease zerk trick is still working on the passenger side LCA, even though that one also had damaged seals, but the passenger side LCA outer bushing never started squeaking. Just need to buy some new Moog grease-able rear sway bar link ends and schedule the time to change out the passenger side LCA as well. Then I will need to take the car to get it re-aligned.

BTW, from what I was able to find, right now Apple Ford Parts seems to have the best price on the Gen II rear LCA p/n's; 6W4Z-5A649-AA and 6W4Z-5A649-AB, bought the pair for $485 plus shipping. Company info:

Apple Ford Parts,
7200 150th Street West
Apple Valley, Minnesota, 55124
USA
844-847-8715
parts@appleautosparts.com

Okay since posts without pictures followup are always frowned upon...

I replaced the passenger side LCA and both rear sway bar link ends while I was in there with Moog HD greaseable units. Yes I know the factory Sport shock housings look rusty, but they still dampen just fine and are not leaking. Plus after replacing the LCA, I now have to save up for the Bilstein B4 struts/shocks.

passenger rear.jpg

driver rear.jpg

driver rear.jpg

passenger rear.jpg

just finished 3.0 motor swap, replaced intake gaskets, plugs, 2 COP, oil pan gasket, changed all fluids out, Now dealing with crappy hydraulic fan issues.

Last edited:
Okay since posts without pictures followup are always frowned upon...

I replaced the passenger side LCA and both rear sway bar link ends while I was in there with Moog HD greaseable units. Yes I know the factory Sport shock housings look rusty, but they still dampen just fine and are not leaking. Plus after replacing the LCA, I now have to save up for the Bilstein B4 struts/shocks.

View attachment 828476190

View attachment 828476189

Wow, that is one rusty underside. Sorry for noticing. Where do u live? Where has that car been stored? Just curious.

Now about those Bilstiens: after reading posts by you and others, I was sold on getting some of those (Jaguar parts?) for my sport 2001 LS. Then, I looked at the prices on FCP Euro and even with a 5% discount and free shipping they're in the high $300 apiece. Maybe since they include the spring and are Bilstiens they might be worth it but certainly saving up will be necessary here as well.

PO had the car rust proofed when new and never drove it in the winter, but the car is now my daily driver so it has to deal with mid west winters (three now). The sub frame has some very light corrosion in spots, but the uni-body is still clean. Do not ask me why the struts/shock look like they are 25 years old with 200K miles on them. They are the factory originals with only 52K miles.

Now about those Bilstiens: after reading posts by you and others, I was sold on getting some of those (Jaguar parts?) for my sport 2001 LS. Then, I looked at the prices on FCP Euro and even with a 5% discount and free shipping they're in the high $300 apiece. Maybe since they include the spring and are Bilstiens they might be worth it but certainly saving up will be necessary here as well.

Not sure where you are at but here in the States, a full set of 2000-02 Jaguar S-type Bilstein B4 shocks and shock (non electronic adjustable suspension) can be had for about $400-425 total. The required 2000-02 Jaguar S-type 4.0L V8 front springs (non electronic adjustable suspension) are about $200 for the pair.

Not sure where you are at but here in the States, a full set of 2000-02 Jaguar S-type Bilstein B4 shocks and shock (non electronic adjustable suspension) can be had for about $400-425 total. The required 2000-02 Jaguar S-type 4.0L V8 front springs (non electronic adjustable suspension) are about $200 for the pair.

Good prices. I'm in the states, fought for the states, never left the states. As long as California is still considered one of the states. Sometimes, to me, it seems like it's a foreign country of its own.

So where can I find those prices, Deacon?

Members online

No members online now.
Back