What did you do to your LS today?

They look like Triangle Tires i saw them on Amazon once
You are correct. They are Triangles TR968 and compared to those posts Michelin MXV4 Energy 225/50/17 I had, these stick like glue. I could hang with Porsche's and BMW with those and the traction sucked. Wet traction was terrible. The AdvanceTrac made up for them. These grip well enough to make the open differential leave 2 heavy black stripes of rubber. Treadwear is 380 Traction A Temp A plus they have the rim protector. Round shoulders too.

Last edited:
tire spin is not really a good indicator of traction though now is it?
That's what I am saying. The Michelin tires would just spin one or the other but these both hooked up with less spin and I was gone and little steering correction.

... showed us all the possible angles except any that would show the brand...

attachment.php

Be sure to ask Santa for a bigger and better monitor this year, we can all clearly make out the word "TRIANGLE" in both this pic and the first one he posted. :p

Got new tires ...

attachment.php

Pardon me Robot, and forgive me, I didn't bother researching your tires BUT why does it say M+S on the side wall?
Around here that stands for Mud+Snow, granted it would also have the flake symbol along side of it.

EDIT - - - - just had a look around for some reviews and Telco is correct, the word is these are absolutely lethal in the wet with no grip whatsoever, too hard of a compound, please be mindful of this in the rain around the bends. Reminds me of a set of Pirelli's on my old Ninja 600, slippery when wet.

Wow, sorry Robot, don't mean to rain on your parade but please have a look at all the negative comments related to slippery in the rain.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Triangle/TR968.htm ~ it's a UK review site, they'd know best about rain and driving in such. Terrible reviews with respect to noise and traction in wet condition.

~Sorry Bro! Careful with those, hate to hear you wrecked out, around a corner one late wet night in FL.

M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tire ~

The original definition of M+S tires is based on the geometry of the tread design. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby, bias ply tires intended for use on muddy and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tires used on early cars or trucks. Tires with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters "M" and "S" in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tire manufacturer.

Why o' why, you live in Florida! I don't get it.

I thought that was just called "being on a motorcycle"

True but I had the front end slide out a bit in the rain, enough for me to realize I had to take it easy with those, granted it happened first few days I had them installed but nonetheless, they were particularly more slippy in the wet then anything else I had on two wheels in my younger years. Doesn't make it a bad tire just not the right one for conditions.

Don't go by any of those reviews on the web. Talk to someone that has hands on experience with the tire. Go somewhere and feel the tread yourselves. Trust me, the rubber compound on these is much softer than the Michelins that came off. I did a one side wet one side dry takeoff last night. Usually that means the wet side would spin like crazy. Well, it didn't. I even did it the opposite way and same result. To the touch, the compound is softer and it is cold down here (48deg) last night.

About that m+s rating, I would think that's an artifact of using a common carcass. I have seen these listed as all-season UHP and summer both. I've also seen them listed as 95V and 99V in the same size. They might be mud rated but not snow. A lot of that has to do with the temperature.

Another thing. Why are y'all trying to CLOWN me Robert Lee Wicker, Jr? I'll have you know I come from a long line of slaves that harvested rubber trees going back generations! J/K

I did some searching on the m+s designation and it only refers to the design of the tread. I guess 25% of the tread has to have open voids and it has to have pathways from the center to the outer blocks. It is optional but a radical rain tire will have those properties. Still not all season though because of how the compound handles the lower temperatures. I can say though that these tires are much softer than the ones I took off. They do make some howling noise though..

Hmmmm so your LS has Possi tracksion both rear tires put down rubber ?
No it doesn't but I did put down rubber from both sides though. I had TC off also. I don't know why it does that. I do hold the brakes though.

Last edited:
Dang Robot, must be pretty bad cheap tires. You showed us all the possible angles except any that would show the brand. :D

On a more serious note, those do look like they are made of a harder rubber, so be careful the first few times you are in the rain. Harder rubber tires tend to not do well on wet roads and may slide when you try to turn or stop. Had a set like that once, and it made rainy days far more exciting than I liked. Wound up taking the tires back due to safety concerns. I don't remember the brand I had, as that was about 30 years ago.
I don't know Telco. I know for a fact these tires have much softer tread than the Michelins I took off. Those had Treadwear rating of 440 and these have 360. I will let you know how they do in the wet when it rains. I saw all of the bad reviews on these but I also took note of the type of vehicles they were on. I am driving a car with one of the best suspensions on the road. That and I do setup my own suspension. These tires do make noise but, that is to be expected with them being new and having the nice wide water channels. Honestly I think the noise they make is more from the wind hitting them than actual road noise because it's like a light howl. One thing for sure these tires are very light. I can feel it when I turn the wheel. I had to dial up the air pressures a bit though. I was feeling a bit insecure with the sidewall flex so now, I'm running them at 45psi cold and she feels nice and solid.

Out of all things, why cheap out on tires?
They aren't really cheap. They are just at a wholesale price. This company has a research facility in Akron, OH and also makes tires for heavy equipment and jumbo jets.

Replaced by DCCV, did some limited degreasing/cleaning of the engine bay and engine block, and replaced my rear brake pad (Autozone full ceramic).

Crazy all the hoses you need to remove to get to the DCCV. Car cools interior as it should now. For the last 2 weeks, the heat has been on (since the DCCV was stuck open (?)). AT least teh outside weather was cooler so having the heat on was not too bad.

It is odd how little I generally have bled the cooling system after this work. Same when I did my degas bottle last year. I must be getting very lucky and am not getting too much air in the system and it is bleeding out the air easily. No overheating or fan running loud. Fan is working properly.

Replaced by DCCV, did some limited degreasing/cleaning of the engine bay and engine block, and replaced my rear brake pad (Autozone full ceramic).

Crazy all the hoses you need to remove to get to the DCCV. Car cools interior as it should now. For the last 2 weeks, the heat has been on (since the DCCV was stuck open (?)). AT least teh outside weather was cooler so having the heat on was not too bad.

It is odd how little I generally have bled the cooling system after this work. Same when I did my degas bottle last year. I must be getting very lucky and am not getting too much air in the system and it is bleeding out the air easily. No overheating or fan running loud. Fan is working properly.
Getting the air out of the system is actually quite easy. It's just some people make things harder than they should be. That's not knocking anyone's technique. I'm just saying you can make it easy on yourself by thinking back to the old basic ways of doing things.

I don't know Telco. I know for a fact these tires have much softer tread than the Michelins I took off. Those had Treadwear rating of 440 and these have 360. I will let you know how they do in the wet when it rains. I saw all of the bad reviews on these but I also took note of the type of vehicles they were on. I am driving a car with one of the best suspensions on the road. That and I do setup my own suspension. These tires do make noise but, that is to be expected with them being new and having the nice wide water channels. Honestly I think the noise they make is more from the wind hitting them than actual road noise because it's like a light howl. One thing for sure these tires are very light. I can feel it when I turn the wheel. I had to dial up the air pressures a bit though. I was feeling a bit insecure with the sidewall flex so now, I'm running them at 45psi cold and she feels nice and solid.

All tires feel the same to me, over the internet, which is why I made the caution. They have a kind of plastic look on the screen, and other tires I've had with that look didn't grip well when wet. I'd much rather make an incorrect comment on the net than not say anything, and hear that someone wiped out a week later.

I wouldn't count on the suspension saving you from substandard tires either. The best suspension in the world (and I am not one who counts the LS amongst this group, but that's me) can't counteract tires with no traction at speed. All that suspension will do is feel tight and comfortable as you spin off the road. If these tires work well in the rain that's fine, but I'd just like to see you take it easy the first time it rains until you know how they handle wet roads. I really don't want to see you post up here that you crashed on a wet road, or worse yet slid off that really high ramp that takes you from I-40 East to I-85 North. That one would make national news.

All tires feel the same to me, over the internet, which is why I made the caution. They have a kind of plastic look on the screen, and other tires I've had with that look didn't grip well when wet. I'd much rather make an incorrect comment on the net than not say anything, and hear that someone wiped out a week later.

I wouldn't count on the suspension saving you from substandard tires either. The best suspension in the world (and I am not one who counts the LS amongst this group, but that's me) can't counteract tires with no traction at speed. All that suspension will do is feel tight and comfortable as you spin off the road. If these tires work well in the rain that's fine, but I'd just like to see you take it easy the first time it rains until you know how they handle wet roads. I really don't want to see you post up here that you crashed on a wet road, or worse yet slid off that really high ramp that takes you from I-40 East to I-85 North. That one would make national news.

I don't know why they put that stuff on the tires to make them look like that. I've seen some look like wax fruit.

I really appreciate your suggestions about being careful on the tires at first though. I don't understand why you don't consider the LS suspension one of the finest but, you are entitled to your opinion that's cool. I don't push mine really hard a lot because I usually don't have to. When I do push it, it is on a section of road that I'm extremely familiar with and have more than likely walked. I don't like to slide my tires and when I do, I'm going against something exotic.

I've done some testing with the tires. I've found a few puddles to get one side wet and do some acceleration from a stop. I got very good results. It's been in the 40s and 50s here at night and the rubber still feels soft. However, since these are rated as a summer compound, I wouldn't want to push them below 40 degrees until I'd been running for at least 10-20 miles or so.

Once again, I do appreciate your suggestion of not pushing them until I get a feel for how they are going to handle in the wet. My main concern is resistance to aquaplaning which is the main reason I went with this tread design. I will let you know the first time I get to run them in heavy rain. The Michelin Energy Mxv4 tires I had on before really sucked even when they newer but, once I got up to above a certain speed with them, the car was stable because of the AdvanceTrac. Once the tread got down since low though, 60mph was treacherous because they were almost down to the wear bars and they had also gotten hard and the grip was suspect even in the dry.

FYI, I considered getting the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 for a few dollars extra but, BFG is owned by Michelin and French tires are not going on my car and these have the rim protector and seemed like a good alternative 5 ply tire. Besides these are almost 6lbs lighter per tire.

I don't understand why you don't consider the LS suspension one of the finest but, you are entitled to your opinion that's cool.

Feels squirrelly to me. Parts wear out too quickly.

Incidentally, if the Triangles wind up not working out, consider Continentals. They are German-owned, and are doing pretty well on my car. So far they've done far better on the car than the Hankook Ventus tires that were on it. They helped the car not feel as squirrelly.

Members online

No members online now.
Back