What did you do to your LS today?

Had the Transmission, transmission mount, motor mounts, steering rack, and steering pump all replaced. All purchased through Rock Auto using the 5% discount. I think the Transmission Authority deal is strong at $1425 -$71 discount = $1,354 plus the $600 core for which I received $455 back after deduction for return shipping - So approx $1500 all in w/ warranty - not bad! Car is running great!

Re-mounted trans cooler (P.O. wasn't a big fan of bolts and screws apparently), mounted new front license plate bracket, re-wired trunk convenience light, replaced backup lamps, installed 31 trim fasteners of various sorts where they were missing and finally put her up on the ramps to take an intrepid look at the suspension components...not as bad as I was expecting.

Transmission was lagging 4-5 seconds shifting into drive or reverse, and occasionally slipping, and engine stalling when coming to a stop. This site suggested low transmission fluid. The filter and 5 qts were replaced a week before the problems began. Jacked it up and added a quart using a pump suggested here. Works normal now, thanks. Starting to be happy with the old car. It does drive well, very solid. Have to do the sway bar bushings and then I can be happy.

While I was in the process of removing my bumper I needed to turn the wheels to get at the last bolt on the driver's side and before I turned the car on I checked my trunk to see if my power terminal was clamped on and I found this beauty of a fuck up. Probably should have put that trunk lid seal before the snowfall Haha

GOPR1628.JPG

GOPR1629.JPG

Holy fuck! :eek: I've got a bit of water coming in on my 04 LSE but not a swimming pool like that. <runs and double checks>

ps: vented battery?!?!

Finally got my base bumper off and test fitting the 06 after a few cosmetic repairs, now I'm about to spray it with my 1k primer then going to spray the base and clear tomorrow if its dry out.

GOPR1633.JPG

Flex agent
I bought the paint from Sherwin Williams and it says right on the can of primer that it has the flex additive and hes generally used on flexible plastic parts. The Ebony color matched paint I bought (1gallon) also has the additive in the paint right from the store I just need to shake my gallon up but ill use a pvc paddle and my drill to mix up the paint because it has been sitting for about a month now in my shed.

Installed Weathertech window deflectors....

Booooh!!!!

Sherwin Williams sells automotive paint? Didn't know that.

Neither did I and we haul a lot of their household paints, picks up out of Fredericksburg, PA, comes into Canada then we move it to other provinces. Often I have several skids on heading West with it.

Was not aware of any automotive division but very posible.

Sherwin Williams has manufactured automotive paint for decades. We painted my sister's Mustang with a SW red back in 81. Held up well for about 5 years until someone smashed into it and totaled it.

Window reflectors are not popular on this forum but work moved us to a new building with very limited shade opportunities in the parking lot. With the deflectors, I can leave the windows cracked without risk of water or bird stuff getting in. At least they are easily removed.

Took her in for a transmission service and now it looks like I'm facing a full rebuild. Servo bosses bored and everything. $2900.

Took her in for a transmission service and now it looks like I'm facing a full rebuild. Servo bosses bored and everything. $2900.

Good to get a second opinion especially if a chain tranny joint (AAMCO etc). Learned that myself. 3 grand ended up really being 1 in my case, only way you should need 3 grand is if they show you your tranny pan as they pull it full of broken bits and/or metal.

And of course the possibility of pulling a used Trans out of a scrapper and crossing fingers for 500$

Good to get a second opinion especially if a chain tranny joint (AAMCO etc). Learned that myself. 3 grand ended up really being 1 in my case, only way you should need 3 grand is if they show you your tranny pan as they pull it full of broken bits and/or metal.

It is a locally owned and well respected shop so I trust what they are quoting, but getting a second opinion seems like sound advice. I told them to button it back up and I'll pay the R&R fee so I can have a little time to noodle on it and explore my options. Maybe take a look at RigsLS "scrap yard and pray" option, or buy a rebuilt and swap it out myself.

I think you would want to buy a fully re-manufactured unit, not just a rebuilt unit. Make sure they have done the correct servo bore fix as well - machined out the bores and pressed in new bronze bushings.

I think you would want to buy a fully re-manufactured unit, not just a rebuilt unit. Make sure they have done the correct servo bore fix as well - machined out the bores and pressed in new bronze bushings.

Thanks for the heads up. The shop I took it to did explain that they do the bores/bronze bushings. I see the earlier post in this thread about Transmission Authority and $1500 and that's about what I figured I'd pay for a re-man unit, so I'm really starting to wonder if the hassle of doing it myself is worth the $1400 savings. Plus the shop I took it to gives a 3 yr/36000 mile warranty...I'd probably feel a little more easy about it if I wasn't staring down the barrel of a tax bill April 15th. Oh well, think I'll go sit on the porch and down some adult beverages. That always seems to bring some clarity.

Sleeve

Members online

Back