What did you do to your LS today?

Had the LS towed from the yard to my buddies shop.

IMG_3206.JPG

I picked up my calipers and carriers from being blasted, and then painted them. Worked on the rear right suspension some, finished installing UCA, toe link, and shock/spring assembly. Getting this car ready to be my DD for when I start my new job, which is a lot of work. Wife is starting to get very pissed off at the amount of time I have been spending in the garage -- although she hates it when I work on cars. You would think I was golfing with strippers.

Man that sucks. Years back, a buddy of mine finished restoring a '68 bug, only to plow into a BIG buck with it a week later. Worst part was that he was pissed and decided to kick the buck, who got up and chased after him.

What do you plan to do with the car?
Stripping starts Monday. I will start a thread for parts for sale. Custom parts, OEM parts, etc....

Sold It..

It was a good run on here fellas. Thanks for all the info and good times!

R1 Concepts for the win!

looks good.

@Waltzy ~ good deal, all the best. I got one I want to sell next summer also.

This is a week late because I couldn't get on Tapatalk. Last week, I tackled brake pads and nearly died. For a long time I had virtually no brakes because front pads were cooked. I chose semi metallic vs ceramic this time. What a difference! I don't brake heavy often but, when I do, I will cook those ceramics in this Florida heat.

Next I was going to do the rears but, I ran out of energy trying to reset the pistons. However, in the process, I fixed my cold rr brake problem. Now both rear brakes work like a charm and I have far less nose dive. I don't know what I did. That's been bothering me for the last couple of years. I still haven't changed the rear pads yet but, they are in great shape actually. They are ceramic. Amazing what the brakes mean to the handling of this car.

Wrong photo! This was from my old lady's brake job the week before.

DSC_0381.JPG

Last edited:
When I did the Jaguar S-type Sport 320mm front upgrade, I switched from ceramic to semi-metallic pads. I also like the improved initial bite. The dusting has not been as bad as I feared it might be, but that is dependent on the brand/material of the semi-metallic pads that you select - I chose Porterfield RS4. When I later replaced the rear brakes (also with the RS4 pads) the excellent balance was restored.

When I did the Jaguar S-type Sport 320mm front upgrade, I switched from ceramic to semi-metallic pads. I also like the improved initial bite. The dusting has not been as bad as I feared it might be, but that is dependent on the brand/material of the semi-metallic pads that you select - I chose Porterfield RS4. When I later replaced the rear brakes (also with the RS4 pads) the excellent balance was restored.
Yeah, my front ceramic pads had big cracks in them and were totally glazed. I'm sure that happened when I bedded them in. I won't do that again with ceramics. My new semi metallic pads don't even have the split.

Didn't stay at a Holiday Inn today but I did have to change my 04 LSE's battery out with a spare one that was on a trickle charger ready to go (wife's back up). Started without stalling and continued running. Original battery (near new) up to room temperature and on charger overnight.

04 LSE sits too much, not enough WOT.
Have to dig it out of the snow and ice all the time.

Fn thing! :mad:

^ salvage the PCM john, always good for a hundred or so. Control Arms ?

After the dead battery and swap yesterday, the '04 LSE sported DTC's P2196 & P2198
A little rich coming into the CAT's ... air/fuel ratio as read by the PCM is too rich,

No big deal ... all good .... slight glitch in the LS Matrix. May be from attempted restarts.
Clear codes ... spin into town and back on the highway and she's all good again.

Potentially clean the MAF in the spring if needed.

Sprayed it down and rinsed the dirt off at the coin wash.

Runs great!

Three days of stripping the LS. Not much left.

Man it sucks to see such a nice LS go! :(

Changed my EGR yesterday. Clock spring and complete cooling system to come, if I can ever find the time, been working WAY to much!

Had the tires removed from the 04 LSE FX Wheels.
One to be curb rash repaired, all checked for straightness then painted up.

rims.jpg

Drove mine to work Monday, loved the smooth, quiet ride, handling with performance radials, and the super easy manual transmission shifting, thanks to the Getrag 221 using ATF for its oil. (FTW) My normal winter beater is a 2007 WRX and its transmission is such a beast to shift when cold, I could really get used to the LS in a hurry! It was only the first time I drove it to work since it dropped a coil and a plug back in who knows when, October? Early November? It spends the winter up on the lift now, and I park my daily driver under it in the winter. I'm trying to keep the thing intact by not driving it in salted road conditions to try to preserve the rocker panel / pinch seam area, which is pretty awful. Hey Rollin, are your rocker panels in decent shape? That would be a project, but this car has a lot of life left in it outside of that problem.

Pulled off both tail lamps and applied silicone around the edges to keep the rain out. Hid my 2nd FOB to keep the wife out.

Hid my 2nd FOB to keep the wife out.
LOL my wife won't go anywhere near mine ever since I took her along for a speed test...

Used 3M marine polish to buff out stains on the center console plastic. Tried Maguires and Flitz and several others, but the 3M stuff worked the best. Still requires quite a bit of elbow grease though. In the pics the left side is the before and the right side is the after.

20170226_164348.jpg

20170226_164449.jpg

20170226_164855.jpg

Last edited:
Needed to stock up on E-juice and it was way too far of a ride with the 'pig on fuel' Chevyrado.

Took the 04 LSE out for a good run instead, some TKO2000 and all topped up with Premium Shell, soft cloth car wash and off to the races we went. Some dude in an Audi thought he was going to keep up but he must have been either short on balls or points on his license. Object in mirrors appears to ... be losing! See ya!

Drives nice ... worthy of cut springs with new shocks. o_O
Still don't like the interior colors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back