What did you do to your LS today?

arms folded, foot tapping, scowl on face. I hope we are including that one project we have been talking about for awhile now. :zgreenbou

waiting on Alax on that!

This was for the opposite end, (will new headlight ideas)...

Picked it up from the body shop.

2 weeks ago a nice lady backed up her rental Dodge Dart into the front driver side bumper. Cracked it, not too bad. I was home when it happened, but I park my cars in a parking lot across the street so I didn't see or hear it happen. I just happened to walk by a window and saw the lady standing outside her car writing a note and my stomach immediately turned because I knew what she was doing. So I went outside and she gave me all her info (Erie Insurance). Erie actually called me ASAP, before I had a chance to call them and said everything checks out and gave me a list of places I could take it. One place was a mom and pop body shop from the area I went to high school. I picked that one. I didn't have any direct concerns but in the back of my mind I kept thinking, man what am I going to do when I go to pick it up and it has Gen I bumper on it.

Took it to them last Thursday for an inspection, took them about 20-30 minutes. Dropped it off for repairs Monday morning and they called me Tuesday evening to say it was done. It was super dirty when I dropped it off because they have been on a rampage recently cleaning up the neighborhood and have demolished 3 houses and built a parking lot. I don't drive the LS a lot so it's been covered in dust and dirt from the construction. I went to pick it up today and it had been washed and given a new inspection sticker, they just took it upon themselves.

Looks perfect too, couldn't be happier. It's rare enough someone does minor damage to a car in a parking lot and actually has the moral fortitude to leave their information, then to have a completely painless repair process with a shop that goes the extra mile. Too good to be true, had to share.

Cheers, fellas.

View attachment 828474602
View attachment 828474603

What did the bill look like for this work? If you don't mind me asking.

Took it back to the dealer and got my money back. Bought the car 3 weeks ago and have only had it in my possession for the first 36 hours. A serious electrical problem kept the car from starting. It would crank over twice and the anti-theft would go off. So they sent it to the local Lincoln service center were they fiddled around with it for 3 weeks and said it has a bad transmission and they couldn't find the cause of the electrical problem. So I'm fed up. Got my money back and looking at a better deal on a newer LS in better condition.

Took it back to the dealer and got my money back. Bought the car 3 weeks ago and have only had it in my possession for the first 36 hours. A serious electrical problem kept the car from starting. It would crank over twice and the anti-theft would go off. So they sent it to the local Lincoln service center were they fiddled around with it for 3 weeks and said it has a bad transmission and they couldn't find the cause of the electrical problem. So I'm fed up. Got my money back and looking at a better deal on a newer LS in better condition.

Be patience, I looked and waited for 7 months for a 06 Navi with 48k miles, at a $teal.
( I admitt I still had to fix a few things tho, its a LS.)

Brought it home.

Got my money back from the dealer who sold me the 2000 with a bad transmission and electrical issues, drove 60 miles and traded my '88 XR-7 and $2000 for a black on black 2001 LS V8 It does seem to have a misfire when you get on it at higher speeds but I think a new set of MSD coil packs, some e3 spark plugs and a new fuel filter will liven it up.

Brought it home.

Got my money back from the dealer who sold me the 2000 with a bad transmission and electrical issues, drove 60 miles and traded my '88 XR-7 and $2000 for a black on black 2001 LS V8 It does seem to have a misfire when you get on it at higher speeds but I think a new set of MSD coil packs, some e3 spark plugs and a new fuel filter will liven it up.

The LS uses COPs (Coil-On-Plug), not coil packs. You would be better off to get Motorcraft coils. I strongly recommend against e3 plugs.

Changed the radiator on my 04. It was cracked in the same place as the 06 a few weeks ago.

Changed the oil after returning from a round trip to Indianapolis.

BTW, with the cruise set at 72 MPH and got 23.5 MPG into a strong headwind on the way down. On the return trip got 27.5 MPG with that same strong breeze as tail wind. Still, 25.5 MPG average at 72 MPH is not too shabby.

Ok. I had heard the e3s were pretty good. Any specific recommendation? Platinum?

Platinum NGK (OEM)

Economy * May not meet OE Standards *

NGK 7090 BKR5EGP G-Power Plug
SKU: #BKR5EGP
ITEM : # NGK7090
BRAND : NGK // http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9309

or ... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9763

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9311

Be sure to use di-electric grease inside the coil boots and gap the plugs to 1.0mm
Ensure the coil connectors seat properly by means of clicking shut firmly.

EDIT: - - - - Some one please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm about to go get some Monday morning for my 04 LSE

They want $21 CDN for the Iridium's around here, which is nuts! I'm calling around to check prices, may have to settle for Platinum

Also, these may be a good option,

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/154549-spark-plug-5464-ngk-ix-iridium-5464.html

Spark Plug 5464 - NGK IX Iridium (5464)

Alternate Part Number: BKR5EIX-11

NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are designed specifically for the performance enthusiast.
Iridium IX spark plugs offer extreme ignitibility, improved throttle response and superior anti-fouling.

* I'm also going to call the local dealers about their Motorcraft Platinum's which supposedly are NGK's <shrugs>

Changed the oil after returning from a round trip to Indianapolis.

BTW, with the cruise set at 72 MPH and got 23.5 MPG into a strong headwind on the way down. On the return trip got 27.5 MPG with that same strong breeze as tail wind. Still, 25.5 MPG average at 72 MPH is not too shabby.

Won't tell you what I got coming back from PHX fighting a headwind so strong the Honda Element my daughter's friend was driving could barely do 70 downhill!! The wind had to be 45+ kts with gusts much, much higher!!!!

OK, yes I will :p. Oh, with the cruise around 70 (slower when I had to for the Element) I got over 30.5 mpg. That's also loaded down with a trunk and back seat full of my daughter's belongings. We stopped for gas for my daughter (2000 V6 LS) and hr friend. After ~350 miles my daughter had just under a quarter tank, the "Element girl" had a half (this was her second gas stop; the first after only ~120 miles pushing the wind and that was also about a half). Michelle asked me if I was getting gas and I said "No, i still had about a third of a tank. That was Sat. and I probably won't need gas until Tue or Wed. Said it before; more power and better MPG than my LS..... Win-win!!!

Completed my flip key. WOOHOO! no more separate key and fob.

I had to modify the inside to get the fob guts and the chip to sit appropriately. Other than that it was smooth sailing. I got the keys cut at Lowes for free. They didn't charge me anything. I first tried Homedepot and Ace. Neither would even touch the keys because they don't cut customer keys. Here you go:

flip.1.jpgflip.2.jpgflip.3.jpgflip.4.jpg

flip.1.jpg

flip.2.jpg

flip.3.jpg

flip.4.jpg

Took the Coil Covers off from the 04 LSE V8 with full intentions of swapping out all 8 coils and all 8 plugs.

So far found bottom most rear bolts not installed on either side since dealership work, (missing) included with that, a ton of gasket sealer applied on the top side of the covers in an attempt keep something out.

Going after #4 coil first, the one that is suspect and known to radiate EM interference towards the PCM (which is hiding directly behind the firewall nearby).

I see no evidence on Bank 1, that neither of coils #1-2-3-4 are upgrades, all seem original and have XXXXX-BE revision.

I do take notice of the newer looking coils on Bank 2, #5-6-8, 7 remains original.

Although the replacement coils end with an -BB revision, which indicate a lower revision from the original factory installed -BE. Not sure about that one <shrugs> I guess it's all what lays around on the shelves in the stock rooms I suppose.

I don't even bother pulling the plugs just yet .... I remove coil #4, I talk to it a bit, I talk to myself a bit and came up with a test solution.

From when I changed all coils and plugs in my 01 LS V8, I threw #3 in the garbage as it was the culprit back then and kept the remaining 7 known good coils.

I grabbed one of those, went with the shiniest, prettiest one I could find and seated it in coil well #4.
bolted it down and clicked the connector in place.

I touch nothing else!!! no other coils or even it's connectors were touched.

Clear the tools, started it up!

GUESS WHAT?

Idles perfectly, no miss during idle. Cleared the already stored p2107 and p2110 codes, faulty throttle body and position sensor.

Start Stop Restart a couple of times, up to temp, no new codes, still idles nicely.

Closed the hood, took it for a spin around the neighbor hood with no tags, disabled TC and beat on it for a bit.

Returned to the driveway, still no ETC fail safe mode codes and still running smooth.

Therefor,
ETC Engine Fail Safe mode + P2107 and P2110 codes = Bad coil on #4 causing EM interference to the PCM.

I did note the brand new shinny throttle body and position sensor compliments of the PO and the stealership he took it to.

Didn't resolve the issue and was not needed but it is indeed appreciated.

Moral of the story ::
You too can buy an 04 LSE with 82K mi for 1300 cash and put a single used coil in #4 and resell it for a generous profit.

I'm saving my brand new Visteon's. I'm going to move some of the coils around and put the new NKG plugs in but that's all for now.
Any further misfires, I got a whole box full of known-to-be-good working LS coils.

That idea might change but for now the Visteon's stay on the shelf, if anything they'll go in my 01 and I'd share those relative new Motorcraft OEM coils with the 04.

Pics to follow.

Looking for the PO phone number to see if he want's to buy it back for hmmmm.... $3800-4000 ?!?!? Makes for a great winter beater! LOL

Platinum NGK (OEM)

I am having good luck so far with the Autolite Iridium fine wire XP3924 spark plugs.

... (meets OE Standards)

NGK 6569 FR5AP-11E Laser Platinum Plug
SKU: #FR5AP-11E
ITEM: # NGK6569
BRAND: NGK // http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9763

or ... (exceeds OE Standards)

NGK 5464 BKR5EIX-11 IX Iridium Plug
SKU: #BKR5EIX-11
ITEM: # NGK5464
BRAND: NGK // http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9311

Also, these may be a good option,

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/154549-spark-plug-5464-ngk-ix-iridium-5464.html

Spark Plug 5464 - NGK IX Iridium (5464)

Alternate Part Number: BKR5EIX-11

NGK Iridium IX spark plugs are designed specifically for the performance enthusiast.
Iridium IX spark plugs offer extreme ignitibility, improved throttle response and superior anti-fouling.
* I'm also going to call the local dealers about their Motorcraft Platinum's which supposedly are NGK's <shrugs>

Thanks for the input, guys. :gr_hail:

Members online

No members online now.
Back