What did you do to your LS today?

Tore into the valve covers on the new engine to find both tensioners were metal (but with red plastic slides, like my old one) and seemingly fresh gaskets (or at least not the OEM gray gaskets), meaning the whole job was a waste of time. I replaced the gaskets anyway for reassurance since I got the FelPros on wholesaler closeout on Rock Auto for $17 and the covers were off.

Then I got a CEL. P0401 Insufficient EGR. I quickly found a disconnected vac line on the EGR valve and that should be it.

Not to figure out a faint blowoff valve-resembling whistle... and damn, my rear rotors warped again. Only like 200 miles on them, but the car sat for 5 months. Might just throw new bearings at it

...and look into StR 320mm discs (or 330, or 300, whatever the stock LS fronts are)

One day... I'm probably not gonna get a LSD 3.58 before this winter comes. I'd like to hear how the difference feels

Front end work

Trying to get LS ready for the upcoming winter driving season so tackled some front end work this weekend. Last year on really cold days the steering squeaked like crazy. Looks like it was mostly a grease free, boot torn lower balljoint so as long as I was going to have it apart I replaced; both lower balljoints, both upper control arms (Motorcraft part number but with Jaguar casting) both Tie Rod ends and both Sway Bar links. Other than the upper control arms I bought all moog that I had hoped would all have grease fittings but the lower control arms seemed to have non removable caps in the plates. I'm not sure if it is a clearance problem with front wheel bearing or because I ordered private party packaging Moogs on clearance at RockAuto and really didn't get moogs at all.

All went together pretty easily, one of the front wheel bearings was a bit hard to separate from knuckle but other than that it was all smooth. This is the first car I've worked on that the balljoints did not pressfit into the other components, sort of nice not to have a ball joint separator but not completely sure they work as well as the old fashioned ones, I guess time will tell. I had a local shop press in the replacement balljoints, they said it was a bear because of the shape of the knuckle but I already sort of knew that which is why I opted to pay for that bit of labor.

Now just an alignment and it will be set I hope until spring

My LS is a bit different. I bought it with a bad engine that will be swapped out for 4.8 LS engine . . . So I don't have a baseline of going from 3.07 to 3.58. I really wanted a 4.10, but I'm building this "mostly" on a budget.

My LS is a bit different. I bought it with a bad engine that will be swapped out for 4.8 LS engine . . . So I don't have a baseline of going from 3.07 to 3.58. I really wanted a 4.10, but I'm building this "mostly" on a budget.

Was the price of an LS 3.58 that much cheaper than a Mark VIII assembly + 4.10 gears? Could probably even find one already built with an LSD

IRS diffs at the local pick n pull are $85 OTD.

MN12 ratio run from 2.73 to 3.27.

To go MN12 8.8:

1. Diff = $85
  2. Gears = ~$160
  3. LSD = ~$170 rebuilt
  4. Installation =~$???
  5. Front diff support bracket =~$80
  6. Installation = $???

3.58:

1. Diff = $85
  2. LSD = ~$170 rebuilt

The 3.58 would be suitable for my use based on the gear calculations I've done. I could run a 235-45-17 tire if needed. This 4.8 is currently built for ~280whp. If I add a SC later, the 3.58 would be a good ratio.

If I do a 8.8 in the future, it would be an iron diff to put some weight in the back to offest the iron block 4.8.

Not what I did to my LS but associated with it.

Bought one of these online ...

BASSK5SSB.jpg

1 clear back sticker also ... for added HP, cuz I'm silly like that.

BASSK5SSB.jpg

^ yeah but while wearing said t-shirt it promises top performance sticker HP increase.
No matter, they Fn canceled my order after the fact anyhow, doesn't ship to Canada, this is why I actually got Hite Performance to forward ship me my Bassani mufflers. (couple years back)

Picked up the 00-02 plastic front shock bolt covers at a salvage yard this morning for $5. Used some Meguiars trim polish & slapped 'em on. I think the driver side looks a little goofy, so I'm gonna see if I can get a second passenger side & make it fit on the driver side.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

Picked up the 00-02 plastic front shock bolt covers at a salvage yard this morning for $5. Used some Meguiars trim polish & slapped 'em on. I think the driver side looks a little goofy, so I'm gonna see if I can get a second passenger side & make it fit on the driver side.

View attachment 828474086

I think they look fine,but,,hey,,,where your engine cover ??

Had to put the battery pack on the 03 this morning, wife comes back in telling me it won't start. WONDERFUL !!!

Even though I jumped it, it didn't sound like it was the battery, it was slow to turn over as if it was cold and frozen or something, it was only -2C overnight here, enough to put a layer of frost on the whole car but that's not good when we get to -30C'ish overnights. This comes at a great time as I'm about to head out for work myself soon. I'll have to check to see if it needs thinner oil, block heater and/or new battery. Don't have time for this. Car needs to start every morning for her when I'm not around.

began getting her home ready for the winter!!!

Electric ran, holes fixed, getting paint tonight.

20151024_155402_zps851lg8gy.jpg

Cabinets go up sometime this week, (between my Royals winning this series)

still need to order a countertop, pickup new tool box, and order led lighting.

I'll grab some pics all week!

Had to put the battery pack on the 03 this morning, wife comes back in telling me it won't start. WONDERFUL !!!

Even though I jumped it, it didn't sound like it was the battery, it was slow to turn over as if it was cold and frozen or something, it was only -2C overnight here, enough to put a layer of frost on the whole car but that's not good when we get to -30C'ish overnights. This comes at a great time as I'm about to head out for work myself soon. I'll have to check to see if it needs thinner oil, block heater and/or new battery. Don't have time for this. Car needs to start every morning for her when I'm not around.
Sounds like it's time to try that 0w20 Extended Performance juice friend. I used to have my FM go out and fire my 1st Gen up every couple of days when I was out on the road.

A late night idle might help too.

Got crank kit, head set, oil pan gasket, head bolt x2 and connecting rod.

Next check getting engine stand, coolant, oil and filter then start pulling 3.0 to rebuild after spinning a rod bearing.... Fun times.

Man, I feel like I started a trend with spun bearings... there's a bunch of them on the Facebook page

Just leave her yours to drive when you are gone. :shifty:

Members online

No members online now.
Back