Turbo kit thread

Yeah it's a lot of money, but you guys don’t have to buy it, just look at me enjoy mine :D. Everyone wanted a supercharger kit, if only it was available the forum says, now that Quik made that happen, no one has jumped on it.
People now want a turbo kit, if only it was available the forum says, now that there will be one, well we don’t know the outcome yet....

Yeah like you said, this will probably end up in a similar boat as Quik's, but the good thing here is that you don’t need to wait for 4 others to save up for it, you can buy when you're ready.

I have put more money into my LS than what it's worth, but do I regret it, hell no :D. I love my LS and have enjoyed dumping money into it to make it unique and a great looking car over all.
It does sound like a lot of money and most are going to think it's not worth it. I'm just glad I was able to help and be a part of this build, never thought I shop would come to me asking to borrow my car to test parts out, it's great :cool:

I was also talking to Brett about this, why he decided to make a turbo kit for the LS when it wasn't in production anymore and was only in it for 6 years. He said he likes making turbo kits and wanted a challenge. He also said he saw how his old v6 build was still being passed around and drooled about so he decided to give us some aftermarket since there wasn't much for us. He wasn't trying to land on a gold mine, he knows what kind sales numbers are up ahead, he just did it more to help us, like I'm sure Quik did as well. It’s great to see guys out there willing to help more than what the cash rewards will yield.

To each his own, I know what I'll be enjoying soon :cool:

The price does not scare me away. I would first want your candid feedback after 90 days of use and tweaking any issues which may arise. Only then would I be inclined to seriously consider it. Living in Ohio and him in Cali makes me wanna see any bugs out of it first. But if it makes the power I think it is going to, it is gonna be hard not to come out of my pocket.

I was thinking the same thing in terms of issues/bugs. Basically it's like waiting for the gen2. All the improvements with patience.

Is that the turbo Artisan in the pics?

It's a Garrett turbo.

The price does not scare me away. I would first want your candid feedback after 90 days of use and tweaking any issues which may arise. Only then would I be inclined to seriously consider it. Living in Ohio and him in Cali makes me wanna see any bugs out of it first. But if it makes the power I think it is going to, it is gonna be hard not to come out of my pocket.

Yeah, I'll report back at certain intervals. I'll do like a 30, 60, 90 day report.

Good stuff man, really. You're gonna have one of the most unique cars on Earth, well at least to me (us). Hope you enjoy it.

Alax, is he aware of the basic differences in Gen 1 vs Gen 2? Would hate for him not to be aware of it and a $6500 oops occurs. LOL.

It's a Garrett turbo.

Good Turbo.
Ford's had Garrett's on the diesel since 1994 till they came out with the 6.4L and went to a Borg-Warner. Now the new 6.7L they went back to a Garrett, thank god. It has Honeywell printed on it but same company, different names.

Alax, is he aware of the basic differences in Gen 1 vs Gen 2? Would hate for him not to be aware of it and a $6500 oops occurs. LOL.

Yeah he's aware of the differences, we dont want any 6500 oops, especially me.lol.

LoL, I meant the guy in the photos, Is that Brett? :p

Oh, I knew that. No, that's the tuner Barry, he also tuned the last V6 did.

Hi Strength Internals

...$5k in forged internals. it the inability to get those parts that make me think its not worth it.

Please read, or re-read the relevant parts of 'Land Speed LS'. It's been established that sbc rods will fit, custom pistons for MY build are illustrated in the thread, and could be easily ordered to use with the sbc rods instead of my GRP aluminium ones, and if you choose, a billet crank is readily available from Moldex. All that, including Cometic gaskets and other incidentals would cost less than 5K.

What parts are you unable to get?;)

KS

sorry the last time i went through that thread, i though you had to have every part custom made for the motor as there was nothing pre made, i'll be going back through it i guess.

You could undoubtedly use off-the-shelf aftermarket sbc rods. Most aftermarket piston companies would be capable of producing pistons within a several-week time frame.

My own experience is that main bearings are very hard to come by. I discovered, though, that there seem to be a few independent auto-parts concerns around the country that deal direct with England and can supply MBs if you give them measurements. RSR has simply re-sized their bearing saddles in their race block, and spec cranks so as to use SBF main shells.

About everything else is available with no more problems than one would ordinarily have with acquiring race parts.

KS

How is it coming Alax? Back on the road yet? If so, final pics please.

Not yet. Brett is splitting time with a shop using their lift so there were some delays last week but I think they are done with all the hardware and will be tunning it next week.

This is not a bad price for a turbo on the ls. Hennessey charges 5k for a pcm update and some custom decals and head rest for the mks and that one already has twin turbo but it does boost the hp to 435hp. So this price foe the turbo is good. The labor is going to cost more.

This is not a bad price for a turbo on the ls. Hennessey charges 5k for a pcm update and some custom decals and head rest for the mks and that one already has twin turbo but it does boost the hp to 435hp. So this price foe the turbo is good. The labor is going to cost more.

:confused: The MKS upgrade from Hennessey is $3500, and has intake, intercooler, exhaust parts along with the tune and "pretty" stuff:
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/ma.html

That is already factory boosted, though, so it is not really a fair comparison for a 100% custom setup for a decade-old platform. :cool:

Great job on his car. I love seeing people step outside the box and doing big things. I have no interest in the kit as I already have a high hp turbo car but I would love to see it sometime. Maybe we should set up a CA meet however I'm in Sacramento myself.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the first gen V8 guys but I actually looked into doing the turbo on my LS and unless you do a one-off intake manifold which = BIG $$$ it's not happening. The first gen's use an air-assisted fuel injection system which doesn't bode well with forced induction. Basically the problem is that with the way it is designed you will have air coming back out of the intake. The second gens did away with the air-assisted injector and Quik's S/C set up uses a totally different manifold which of course is a one off as well.

Intake Manifolds---Interchangeability

The intake manifold on the AJ engine is symmetrical. Therefore, although the manifold on my four litre Jag engine is designed so as to have the opening for the TB at the back, I'll be using it with the opening at the front. It's been suggested that anything beyond moderate boost is likely to challenge the integrity of the 'plastic' manifold. If that prooves to be the case, the fall-back is the aluminium manifold from the Aston Martin.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back