Turbo kit thread

I will upload a vid this weekend of my old dyno tune run along with the sound clip before my recent exhaust change. Better late than never. I will also apologize in advance for the crappy video, need some help to shoot something decent but oh well. Stay tuned

Wideband installed last night
Wideband on the left, boost gauge/controller on the right.

uploadfromtaptalk1452836456491.jpg

well for that car, it should be around 25-26ish PSI, not that really crazy or anything, there are a lot of imports running with that much boost (however not on 427 cubic inches... lol)

14 roughly doubles your engines power and anything above that I would consider that high boost. but in the 20s and 30s is definitely mad boost(at least gas motors).

well for that car, it should be around 25-26ish PSI, not that really crazy or anything, there are a lot of imports running with that much boost (however not on 427 cubic inches... lol)

14 roughly doubles your engines power and anything above that I would consider that high boost. but in the 20s and 30s is definitely mad boost(at least gas motors).
Don't ya mean 238 cubic inches?

Don't ya mean 238 cubic inches?

no, the venom (the car I was talking about) has a 7.0L small block push rod LSX V8 with a fairly large pair of snails for an exhaust system...

7,0L roughly equals 427 cubic inches.

a Hennessy Venom F5
the levels of boost that car makes
other imports like EVO's and GTR's
the size of the motor in the car being talked about at the very beginning of that sentence.

no, the venom (the car I was talking about) has a 7.0L small block push rod LSX V8 with a fairly large pair of snails for an exhaust system...

7,0L roughly equals 427 cubic inches.

a Hennessy Venom F5
the levels of boost that car makes
other imports like EVO's and GTR's
the size of the motor in the car being talked about at the very beginning of that sentence.

Ah, that explains a lot. Sorry, "view first unread" took me past the post about the Venom :)

Bad news, won't be able to do 12psi just yet. The tuners didn't think the trans would hold up, the most they would do with the stock trans was 7psi to play it safe. Good news, I'll be under boost soon. Now I'll just have to find someone to build the trans to get to 12, maybe 15psi.

uploadfromtaptalk1454099829119.jpg

Screw it. Find a salvage tranny to get started on beefing up. Meanwhile, crank it to 12 and let it shatter if it is going to break.

One of the most important factors in making a trans live is line pressure. You can jack up the line pressure with an SCT tuner.

KS

Wideband installed last night
Wideband on the left, boost gauge/controller on the right.

Looks good with that set up (including your radar detector under the speedometer). I think your build will also show how the axles hold up under higher HP. That could be interesting.

Looks good with that set up (including your radar detector under the speedometer). I think your build will also show how the axles hold up under higher HP. That could be interesting.
Thanks. The radar detector was a "prototype" to test fit and practice on. I have the second attempt finished, just need to swap them out.

Whatever breaks I'll beef up, I'll be the guinea pig to test the limits

Screw it. Find a salvage tranny to get started on beefing up. Meanwhile, crank it to 12 and let it shatter if it is going to break.
Thats exactly what I will do. I'll find a shop that can do the work first, then order the trans and have it shipped to them.

Why do they think that? age/mileage or needs to be beefier?
Needs to be beefier. The power they thought it would make would take its toll on it. I just didn't want it to break while tuning so I didn't mined not going to 12.

And the bad news continues.....
Tuning session was 90% failure. First can't do 12psi, bummed about that but alright I'll take 7psi. Next issue, we never even got a chance to crank up the boost to 7 because we couldn't even get to 5 lbs before the throttle body would close and not allow the engine to redline. The tuner said it was some kind of failsafe code, the pcm probably detected some issue through some sensor and to prevent damage it would restricted the throttle body from opening 100%. It would rev up to about 3500rmp and then plateau and not climb anymore. Whatever the issue was, it had to be fixed before it can eve be fully tuned. He tuned ir for drivability so at least I won't damage the engine being lean until I can fix it but until I fix that issue, we can't even baseline at 5psi. I was very very bummed about this part. So a set back indeed but oh well, at least I can drive it around safely.

Anybody have any insight on this? I'll post the dyno run sheet so you guys can see this run plateau vs the 5psi from a while ago.

One of the most important factors in making a trans live is line pressure. You can jack up the line pressure with an SCT tuner.

KS

after that, you will want to make sure it stays cool (higher pressure with less slip will help this) but you may want a bigger trans cooler. even after being built up, heat is the trans biggest enemy.

honestly, building this trans shouldn't be too hard, I would start looking for shops that builds big power mustangs, I would think that their experience with a variant of this trans would be a good head start.

after that, you will want to make sure it stays cool (higher pressure with less slip will help this) but you may want a bigger trans cooler. even after being built up, heat is the trans biggest enemy.

honestly, building this trans shouldn't be too hard, I would start looking for shops that builds big power mustangs, I would think that their experience with a variant of this trans would be a good head start.
Great. Thanks, I'll start there

Anybody have any insight on this? I'll post the dyno run sheet so you guys can see this run plateau vs the 5psi from a while ago.

That's strictly a programming issue, and the bad news is that may not be something that can be dealt with. Without seeing the program log, my guess would be the turbo is boosting the manifold pressure too high. The MAP sensor detects this, the computer decides it's too high and shuts it down. In the GM world boosters will use a 3-BAR or even a 4-BAR MAP sensor, and use a program like EFI Live to program it. I think SCT offers a similar tuning package, you might contact them and see if their tuner will allow you to convert to a 3-BAR MAP. If the programming can be made to accept the new MAP, then you won't have any problems.

Now if this is something that can't be dealt with because the programming can't be made to allow it, there are a couple of other possibilities. You might be able to put a cheater between the MAP and the computer that cuts the signal by half. Unfortunately, exactly how such a device can be built is beyond my abilities so I can't offer any direction along these lines. If one can be built, your tuner would then have the equivalent of a 2-BAR MAP, and can tune the computer to work correctly with the altered signal. Doing this MAY also require a 2-BAR MAP sensor to work. I don't mind telling you that I'm not a fan of altering inputs, but in this case since the change would be a set, linear change to a single signal path I don't see it being an issue. Voltage parameters would also need to be altered by the programmer so that a failure can still be detected. In any case, locating a turbo-centric forum is where I would start investigating this. They may not have Lincoln-specific information, but MAP sensors work the same no matter the make.

If the MAP signal just can't be dealt with, you can look at just tossing the Lincoln PCM altogether and install a Megasquirt computer system. A Megasquirt will let you run 100PSI or more if you can get the engine to hold together, and can accommodate almost anything you can come up with. If you go this way you'll need to look at what inputs are needed to keep the Lincoln PCM happy so the auxiliary systems will work correctly, like the air conditioner and whatnot. For this, it would just be a matter of piggy-backing the Lincoln PCM feeds onto the Megasquirt system, or just running dual sensors. The Lincoln PCM will also need to have its error codes dealt with so as to not flip out when it discovers that it is no longer actually controlling anything.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 5psi tune dyno run

scan0001.jpg

Current dyno run with throttle issue

scan0001_zpscvujcx9c.jpg

that is definitely very odd, I would suspect that someone would need to see all the engine data to figure out what and why the car is doing that...

I wouldn't think that it could be a overloaded sensor since the last time tuning the car, it had no problem at the same power level. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a bad sensor or damaged wiring, but the sensors were working fine for the last session.

that is definitely very odd, I would suspect that someone would need to see all the engine data to figure out what and why the car is doing that...

I wouldn't think that it could be a overloaded sensor since the last time tuning the car, it had no problem at the same power level. I'm not saying that it couldn't be a bad sensor or damaged wiring, but the sensors were working fine for the last session.

No, it is almost certainly an overloaded sensor, and it would be the MAP sensor because the turbo, when turned up, is boosting pressure in the intake manifold. He's trying to tune for power now, which means turning up the boost, and that he's only able to get to 5PSI before the computer says no more almost certainly means the MAP is going out of range and the computer is going into a safe mode. I could be wrong, of course, as I'm no turbo master but I just can't see how it can be anything else.

If nothing else, I'd suggest uploading the tune and the scan parameters to whatever forum the tuning software company has to see what might need to be changed to fix the issue. While I may not be a Lincoln fan, I'm always up to see what can be wrought from any car. I'll tell you all a secret, I even occasionally think, what if I were to just make my LS a project and put a suitable engine in? What if I just put it in the upcoming garage and corrected all the GLARING ENGINEERING FAILURES on the car and made it the car it should have been? But then I think, why not put that same power into a nice little Fiero? Or maybe a late 60s Volvo P1800? Or even that 70 model Pontiac Apollo for sale in the next town over? Or hey, how about that Datsun 280Z 4+4 I passed yesterday? Or even, dream of dreams, I pick up another 1972 Buick Skylark, which was my first car? My actual first car has been beer cans for decades now, but I could always find another...

He's trying to tune for power now, which means turning up the boost, and that he's only able to get to 5PSI before the computer says no more almost certainly means the MAP is going out of range and the computer is going into a safe mode.

Next issue, we never even got a chance to crank up the boost to 7 because we couldn't even get to 5 lbs before the throttle body would close and not allow the engine to redline.

just saying... it wont even get to the point where it was before... if he was at least getting to the point he was at before, and it wasn't allowing them to turn it up farther then I could see that being the case, but he is still 70 hp away from where it was at running fine...

Members online

No members online now.
Back