Turbo kit thread

Its easy to lose track, I'll have to move this back to the top of my list. She's been a garage queen since I fixed the first leak but couldn't find the second leak. I turner her on two days ago and moved her out of the garage to work on my sister's car, man I miss driving her.

Hahaha ouch. Alright that does it, I was going to work today but I'm not going, I'm just going to go work on my corolla instead.

I narrowed down where the leak was. Going to slowly tear into her to get to it.

^ take your time Alex! No rush! <June 22nd, 2011>

oh BigRig,..dont you realize this is the longest, biggest troll of LVC history... can't believe you've all fallen for this!!! (I saw it a mile away, with all those PS turbo pics..puh! who cuts up their bumper!!! thats just dumb)

Oh and I also ordered the boost controller. I'll get that video today too for you corolla lovers.

:p

oh BigRig,..dont you realize this is the longest, biggest troll of LVC history... can't believe you've all fallen for this!!! (I saw it a mile away, with all those PS turbo pics..puh! who cuts up their bumper!!! thats just dumb)

Not at all..... I've seen his car....

It does resemble a Crayolla :bowrofl::bowrofl:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! It is real!!

To boost or not, that is the question.

bf888287d42301f8f673837e7bc1ddb9cf237ed046fa1ed092d5190b078c69b3.jpg

Well guys, she's back!!!! The leak issue was the hose below the intake manifold. Also had a new Degas installed. I was waiting to have time to do it myself, but with my new job I really had no time, so I dropped it off two weeks ago and they fix her up in a day or so and I just picked her up Saturday. She use to purr like a kitty, but now she roars like a tiger. It's actually a little too loud now, I might have to tone it down. I have x pipe to aeroturbine resonators out through some bassani mufflers, but I ordered some 24 inch Magnaflow resonators to replace the small AeroTurbines.

I drove around for a good hour around the streets Saturday night, checking to make sure there were no leaks. All seemed well so last night I took her up on a 300 mile road trip back to my new job location. There is a pretty steep and long incline on the way out of the LA area, but she performed flawlessly and all without boost. I'm breaking the new engine in so I'm trying to hold off of the boost until after the first oil change. How many miles do you guys think is good? I have read 500 - 1000 for the first oil change to get rid of all the metal shavings, does that sound good or is that overkill or way under?

I have been driving a 96 GMC Sierra that is so heavy off the line, going from that to a v8 Lincoln LS is a huge improvement, then going under boost will be an even bigger improvement, then 12+ pounds of boost will top it all. I was so excited to be driving her finally and it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to go under boost again, not that I took the turbo off, I'm just not gunning it to go under boost.

I have the boost controller waiting to be installed and I have to figure out this gen2 "PCV" system before I have it tuned up to 12+ psi. I don't know if I'm going to leave as is, under engine vacuum the fumes get sucked in by the manifold and under pressure a one way valve closes and the Turbo sucks the hopefully cleaner fumes out through a catch can. It was left vented to the atmosphere by the shop 3 years ago but I didnt like the fumes that were visible when I would stop at a light, plus the smell drew attention. I have also read people attached it to the exhaust so that vacuum sucks it out since it's always under vacuum and never under boost. Any suggestions on this? Typing from my phone on my lunch break so forgive me if there are any typos, dang auto correct.

Well guys, she's back!!!! The leak issue was the hose below the intake manifold. Also had a new Degas installed. I was waiting to have time to do it myself, but with my new job I really had no time, so I dropped it off two weeks ago and they fix her up in a day or so and I just picked her up Saturday. She use to purr like a kitty, but now she roars like a tiger. It's actually a little too loud now, I might have to tone it down. I have x pipe to aeroturbine resonators out through some Bassani mufflers, but I ordered some 24 inch Magnaflow resonators to replace the small AeroTurbines.

I drove around for a good hour around the streets Saturday night, checking to make sure there were no leaks. All seemed well so last night I took her up on a 300 mile road trip back to my new job location. There is a pretty steep and long incline on the way out of the LA area, but she performed flawlessly and all without boost. I'm breaking the new engine in so I'm trying to hold off of the boost until after the first oil change. How many miles do you guys think is good? I have read 500 - 1000 for the first oil change to get rid of all the metal shavings, does that sound good or is that overkill or way under?

I have been driving a 96 GMC Sierra that is so heavy off the line, going from that to a v8 Lincoln LS is a huge improvement, then going under boost will be an even bigger improvement, then 12+ pounds of boost will top it all. I was so excited to be driving her finally and it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to go under boost again, not that I took the turbo off, I'm just not gunning it to go under boost.

I have the boost controller waiting to be installed and I have to figure out this gen2 "PCV" system before I have it tuned up to 12+ psi. I don't know if I'm going to leave as is, under engine vacuum the fumes get sucked in by the manifold and under pressure a one way valve closes and the Turbo sucks the hopefully cleaner fumes out through a catch can. It was left vented to the atmosphere by the shop 3 years ago but I didn't like the fumes that were visible when I would stop at a light, plus the smell drew attention. I have also read people attached it to the exhaust so that vacuum sucks it out since it's always under vacuum and never under boost. Any suggestions on this? Typing from my phone on my lunch break so forgive me if there are any typos, dang auto correct.

'Bout time!!!!!! :biggrin: Good to see you back!!

My last new car I changed the oil at 500, 1000 and 2000 miles than went to a 10K-15K interval with Mobil1. That was on my old 2000 V6 (daughter has it with just over 190K miles) and my wife's '06 with just over 72K.

Where's the new job? CONGRATS on that!!

VERY VERY glad to hear from you once more. I'm waiting while holding my breath (sorta) to hear about your new experiences.

KS

I usually change the oil at 30 minutes after initial startup, then 500 to 1000 miles, then normal oil change intervals from there. Keep in mind on the interval that turbos are hard on oil because the oil is also the turbo's coolant, so you're going to want to change more often than on a non-turbo engine. IMO, it's also not a bad idea to have an aux oil cooler between the turbo and the oil pan as well as a timed oil pump to keep oil circulating through the turbo after the engine is shut down.

I usually change the oil at 30 minutes after initial startup, then 500 to 1000 miles, then normal oil change intervals from there. Keep in mind on the interval that turbos are hard on oil because the oil is also the turbo's coolant, so you're going to want to change more often than on a non-turbo engine. IMO, it's also not a bad idea to have an aux oil cooler between the turbo and the oil pan as well as a timed oil pump to keep oil circulating through the turbo after the engine is shut down.

yeah, if ever driven hard and put away wet, a turbo timer is very critical.

also 500 miles is usually the minimum amount most people consider a good break in period for a fresh engine.

interesting enough, there seems to be a lot of people (not really sure I am a fan of this ideal) now saying that there isn't a need for a "break in period" and after running for an hour or so to make sure there are not any problems right away, they say to immediately start running the engine hard as it will wear in everything a lot faster... and is (in theory) better since everything is not taking as long to wear in. my concern with that is that if there is a problem, then its probably going to destroy something (or a lot of somethings). their argument is that if it was put together wrong, then it would show right away and would still cause damage and would need to be torn apart to be repaired anyways..

my best advise would be to follow the directions of the shop that built the engine, it would be hard to argue that they didn't know what was best.

One other thing.... Let the oil temp get to operating temp before getting on it....

I have a timed oil pump, stays on for 5-10 minutes, don't remember what I set it to, after the car turns off.

Well I'm way past the change after the 30 minute mark but I think 500-1000 miles will do and is right around the corner.

G-RELL thats a great picture, just wish mine looked that good and I have 3 rolls of tape waiting to go on as well.

Ls4me- its up by San Jose/Salinas area.

Thanks for the tips guys. Next time I'm back home I'll get that oil changed, new hi-flow cat installed as well as the resonators. I'll have to get a clip of the exhaust before and after but I find my camera picking up wind noise instead of just the exhaust sound. Then its getting the new catch can installed and the new boost controller/boost gauge. 12psi coming soon....

I would think the shop would have done the first 30 min break in oil change. I cant imagine a shop just throwing together an engine with custome one off parts and not running it for a while and just giving it back to you.

One note on the exhaust PCV hoses: I've heard varying viewpoints on those from the drag guys (10s and faster). The main concern is the tap to the exhaust has to be in just the right place and at just the right angle to actually create a usable amount of vacuum to clear out the engine. If your concern is idle, there's not much exhaust flow so you won't get vacuum pulling gasses out. The gasses will dump out the exhaust, so at least the smell is out the back!

Members online

No members online now.
Back