Turbo kit thread

where is the oil cooler located on gen1 sport?

Thanks 1LoudLS, I thought it would look like a radiator. thought I didn't have a sport for a min lol

So theres no small radiator??

as far as i know, its just another part of the main cooling loop, if it had its own radiator, then it would need its own reservoir and pump for the coolant.

i personally would like to see a true oil cooler where the oil itself is pumped through a radiator in the front of the car, where even the hottest 100*+ air temps would be much cooler than the hot ass coolant running through the motor. but i would immagine that would put a lot more stress on the oil pump, or the thickness due to really cold weather.

now correct me if im wrong, but isnt the trans cooler actually pumping the fluid through a heat exchanger in the front of the car?

as far as i know, its just another part of the main cooling loop, if it had its own radiator, then it would need its own reservoir and pump for the coolant.

i personally would like to see a true oil cooler where the oil itself is pumped through a radiator in the front of the car, where even the hottest 100*+ air temps would be much cooler than the hot ass coolant running through the motor. but i would immagine that would put a lot more stress on the oil pump, or the thickness due to really cold weather.

now correct me if im wrong, but isnt the trans cooler actually pumping the fluid through a heat exchanger in the front of the car?

You actually want oil quite warm. Cold oil is bad and collects contaminants (notably, water). Using engine coolant keeps the oil around 220(ish) which is a good mark.

Same kind of thing for tranny fluid, although it is actually a terrible lube until it's warm. Quite a few cars have the trans cooler in the loop BEFORE the radiator exchanger so the radiator warms the fluid back up. In the case of the LS, the tranny actually limits the fluid flow through the cooler.

I think I deleted the turbo album in my photobucket, most of the pictures from the turbo were on there. :slam

But I did receive some updated pictures from yesterday.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

photo_6.jpg

photo_10.jpg

photo_11.jpg

photo_13.jpg

photo_15.jpg

photo_16.jpg

photo_17.jpg

photo_18.jpg

photo_19.jpg

photo_20.jpg

Looking good. Your bumper looks like mine on the bottom with the scrapes. Also I wish they made those intercoolers in black for a "stealth" look.

Yeah, it was mainly my dad not going slow enough when I first installed the eibachs. Well I also took out a big chunk of the bumper cause I reversed with a cinder block under neath the car when I lifted it to install the 19's, I was pissed but it wasn't noticeable unless you were under the car.

Agree on the stealth look, black looks pretty sweet. I have read of people painting them with regular paint but on most forums I read, they would say to just get it anodized instead of painting.

WOW, it's coming together nicely man. I am sure you can't wait to get behind the wheel of that car.

BTW, it seems like the front wheel is touching the piping in one of the pictures. It won't be a problem at a full lock?

I haven't driven it yet, I think they did over the weekend though.

Tires wont hit the pipes at full lock.

Specs will be posted once I get them, very soon guys.

I want to eventually do work on the tranny, but I need time for my wallet to heal from this turbo.

Not yet. I dont know how much room I have to work with so I'm limited as to what I can do or look at getting. I will come up with a soluton though, for sure.

Wow that is sexy. I agree paint the intercooler black. Needs to stay stealth.

Unless you wantot show it off, then cut out the lower insert supports.

Na, I wouldn't cut the lower grille out. I like the stock look. I might get it anodized in black later on.

Holy Major Piping Reroute, Batman! :eek:

Curious to see how that ties in with the rest of the exhaust/piping. That looks like it was an ungodly amount of custom work.

I'm impressed with the precision of the work shown. Why was it that you didn't go remote. There's plenty of room in the rear, and the piping is significantly simplified.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back