To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before

I love my door panels, There is a little difference in texture, but no one has ever commented on it. It is very slight. The only thing that doesn't work is the drivers mirror. I did have it working with the original mirror, but when that one went bad, I've had a h#!! of a time trying to get the new mirror working right. If you get a chance to do it, go for it! Back when I did this, I was told that it couldn't be done, by one very respected member. In fact, I think it was the only time he has been mistaken.:gr_hail: So, to anyone that wants to try something out of the box, GO FOR IT ALWAYS! You never know.

I don't want to get off of your point. I know this is probably a dumb question, but besides OBD1 & OBD2 What is the most significant difference between the 2 Gen's? Obviously with the exception of the outside appearance? Also, what is the biggest advantage of OBD2 over OBD1. I should know this stuff, but I can't say I'm 100% on the facts.

i3990.jpg

i3991.jpg

i1947.jpg

i4693.jpg

HIDS 4 sale_car_interior-48 (Medium).jpg

nelson photos car-25 [800x600].jpg

Man, that's awesome! I can't say I'm lovin' that paint job, but to each his own. But the interior is fantastic! I love that body color accented dash, console, and door panels. I need to do that to mine. It would look so good.

I changed the seat covers in my 1st. gen and it was not very hard at all. I didn't do the doors as I didn't want the hassle. The seats are quite different as the wiring is different and don't just plug in. The seat frames are different as the 1st. gen use air for the lumbar seat adjustment and the gen 2 uses adjustable springs. The rear seats are no problem as they drop in perfectly. If you choose to use the complete front seats you will be in for a bunch of work the other way you would just remove the seat covers with the foam and swap them from one frame to the other.
Good luck with your project.

I have to say the pictures do not benefit the paint by any measure. I've had a few people see the pics and say the same thing. Then when they see it in person, it's a whole different cow. I think most of the guys here in KC will agree. At least I tried something different!

This weekend starts the project of swapping interior over. Tomorrow after work I will start removing everything. It should go pretty quickly, because I've done this before. ;) today I took off the wheels with the brand new Michelins. I'm going to miss this car.
100_3216.jpg

Have you decided how you are going to do it with the engine/trans harness stuff to make the cluster work? How about the ignition switch? Good luck man!

where is the computer that controls the message center?

i know there is a different layout and the menus are setup a bit different

OK, I'm into pulling everything out, now I need to figure out how to move the seats. Does anyone know how I can move the seats?

without power dude good luck!! when i cant get a track to move i have to disassemble the seat in the car to get down to the dam nuts!

I started pulling everything out of my 98. I started by removing the steering wheel, got that out of the way. Then I started on the shifter, and realized I had to get under the car to release the cable from the MLP. The care was so low, that I had to get the jack on the edge and lift up one side just under the door far enough to get jack stands under it. Then it started raining, so I had to stop.
img_0927.jpg

img_0926.jpg

img_0923.jpg

img_0925.jpg

I started pulling everything out of my 98. I started by removing the steering wheel, got that out of the way. Then I started on the shifter, and realized I had to get under the car to release the cable from the MLP. The care was so low, that I had to get the jack on the edge and lift up one side just under the door far enough to get jack stands under it. Then it started raining, so I had to stop.
img_0926.jpg

img_0927.jpg

img_0923.jpg

img_0925.jpg

I got the dash out, and I think I am in for it with this project. :eek: I am really going to have to study the wiring diagrams from both the 93 and the 98. All those wires sure look scarry. :eek:
img_0930.jpg

img_0932.jpg

img_0932.jpg

Yep, you will be doing some splicing man, but not very much. Get your soldering iron ready. Do you have the diagrams on both vehicles?

I have Mitchell Online. I am going to try to use the entire harness. What I really need to find out is how different the harness are. I can tell you now, that the dash will fit right in no problem. The difference in the ignition. I noticed that this was an assembly that the harness plugs into. The color codes on the ignition wires should be the same. The harness goes into the firewall and connects to the fusebox under the hood. All that crap is burnt up and melted. I need to find out if there is some kind of quick disconnect at the firewall. If there isn't, then I think it will be game over for me. Then I will have to go to plan B, and Frankenstein some :q:q:q:q.

How ya gonna feed the cluster again? You switching everything over to OBDII?

If I can successfully get this wire harness integrated, then yes, it will essentially be ODBII. If the wire harness proves to be a bit too much, then no.

why dont you just feed the gen 1 dash harness into the back of the gen 2 dash, then you can have the gen 2 dash in the car, and put the gen 1 cluster back in, the housings of the gauge clusters are the same, so the gen 1 cluster will screw right back into the gen 2 cluster hole. at least it would make it a little easier on you not having to mess around with getting the digital gen 2 cluster to work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back