Taking orders for gen1 heatshields

Changed my mind. Went with low gloss Plasti Kote high heat enamel. Busy as sh** today and tomorrowso I will primer and shoot it Monday and post some pics Tuesday after it fully cures.

Well when I painted over the Rustoleum Satin Black, after letting it sit over night, and sprayed it the next day with Kyrlon Ultra Flat... it bubbled up in places. Sanded it down some and painted it again, same bubbling. Guess those two don't mix well! Had to let it sit another day and sand it all down. Just sprayed it with VHT Hi-Temp Black Wrinkle paint for engine parts, valve covers etc... looking good now. It's a slow dry paint needing 48 hours before reassembly it says (option is to bake it at 200 degrees, which I might consider... just don't want the oven to smell like paint). Might let it sit until Tuesday... it's hard to wait though.

LDM, prepping question. Did u wipe down the heatshield with alcohol before painting? I did and noticed it cleaned off a bit of a greasy coat from the heatshield. May have contributed to the bubbling. Primered mine about an hour and a half ago. Letting it set up til tomorrow before painting.

Heatshield.jpg

No I didn't use alcohol before hand, that could be why. It's been sanded now though, so it should be ok (it didn't bubble with the first coat of Rustoleum, only after the 2nd coat with Krylon).

It's been in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees after painting with VHT hi-heat black wrinkle, and the black wrinkle looks perfect now!

Got to love the smell of heatshield paint in the morning!

DSC_0086 (Medium).jpg

DSC_0085 (Medium).jpg

No I didn't use alcohol before hand, that could be why. It's been sanded now though, so it should be ok (it didn't bubble with the first coat of Rustoleum, only after the 2nd coat with Krylon).

It's been in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees after painting with VHT hi-heat black wrinkle, and the black wrinkle looks perfect now!

Got to love the smell of heatshield paint in the morning!

Looks very good. I have a feeling we are going to see many different, but yet tasteful paint jobs, on these heatshields. :D

That looks great LDM. You got your intake tube first but I beat you to the install...lol. Unfortunately my K&N filter didnt fit. It's pretty long so I bought a $25 spectre for now. I'm going to ask for a new K&N from santa.
100_1716.jpg

100_1727-1.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1734.jpg

Hite337 & 01GLS, both of your heatshield installs look great! Looks like it's meant to be there. The unpainted heatshield blends in good with the new intake. I am also liking that black rubber painted heatshield install look. Just kind of disappears and blends in there. Good job guys!

lookin good boys. FYI... i dremel'd the front cover a little to make the seal fit a little better.

Install pics look great. For those of us who purchased a heatshield, we need to all remember Hite when he needs a favor or a price break from any of us and not be greedy. He really looked out for us and could have charged a lot more.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys...I was a little worried at first and had several people PM asking about selling them a heatshield. So this is my way of giving back to a community that has helped me quite a bit the last few years. Like I said before...I'm not getting rich by selling heatshields for Lincoln LS's...lol. I'm glad you guys are happy with them.

LDM...The install looks great....the IAC hose kinda stands out tho. I think any type of rubber hose the right OD would work for a coupling. Im going to the parts store tomorrow to find something for mine.

LDM...The install looks great....the IAC hose kinda stands out tho. I think any type of rubber hose the right OD would work for a coupling. Im going to the parts store tomorrow to find something for mine.

I don't like that hose either. Went to Home Depot for one tonight, nothing there. It will get replaced with a black one eventually. Just had to get it installed and running, it's a temp fix for now... (I see ASMI has sent me that white hose coupler, got an eBay shipment email update).

Edit: I ordered a black coupler off eBay for $1 (new, high temp rated, high pressure)... $3.95 total with expedited shipping. 8 available now, if anyone wants one here's the link (Sale - everything must go):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230600779934

LDM that looks straight up OEM.
Thanks! I think it turned out great! (I used this VHT hi-temp wrinkle for paint, then 1 hour in the oven at 200 degrees to dry/bake).

1121112109 (Small).jpg

Slow progress is better than no progress(And I see the small run to the bottom left of the pic but not that pressed about it since it will never be seen once on the LS because it will be covered with heat barrier anyway). LOL.

Step 2 complete...Step 3, heat barrier application to the inner walls of the heatshield is next. Just need some time to sit down and trim it nice and neatly. Summit got it here in one day with regular UPS shipping. Kudos to them. Good thing about living in Ohio. :)

Heatshield 2.jpg

IAC hose fixed (details in ASMI intake thread). Thanks again Hite337 for making the Heatshields!
Hite337, I'll send you one of these hoses for free if you want one...

DSC_0106 (Medium).jpg

Looks good. I thought of applying a layer of something similar but thicker to just the engine side of the heatshield

Funny you mention that. I hedged back and forth before committing to the inside walls. Once I started, there was NO turning back. LOL. The adhesive on that Thermotec is stout!!! :D

Almost done....

That looks really good Marcredd! Good job. I like that idea! Everyone's got unique and quality looking heatshield installs.

I added another gasket on the MAF adapter side, and cut and trimmed both gaskets on each side to fit the MAF and MAF adapter.

That looks really good Marcredd! Good job. I like that idea! Everyone's got unique and quality looking heatshield installs.

Thx LDM. It truly is going to be interesting to see the results of everyone's efforts into these. Hite has us addicted. LOL.

Something was said in LDM's AMSI intake tube thread that made me think...If you drive your LS when it is cold outside you may benefit from removing the heatshield when its cold outside. I know that condensation can form with as little as an 18 degree difference in temperature in certain conditions. So if it was say 20 degrees outside (air entering the filter) and the air around the engine bay is say 100-150 degrees-ish (area where the intake tube has to travel thru) could there be condensation form on the outside of the intake tube? Just food for thought for eveyone who has purchased a heatshield from me.

These are all looking good and unique. There's alot more people who bought one so hopefully there will be more pics posted here.....

Members online

Back