Supercharging 98 Mark VIII LSC

No I am refering to a Thunderbird Super Coupe, and Ford obviously didn't think paint would be an issue, it came painted from the factory.

So its made to cool a tiny Eaton and a 3.8L engine. I also see no pipes that attach to it from looking at your pics.

No piping as I would think it was supposed to be custom mounted from the guy I purchased the kit from. I might just go another intercooler route when it's all said and done.

Lol... yep, mobile-1 did it.
I've had several motors let go, only one under normal driving conditions. Poor little 351w with a 150k on it going through the mountains threw a rod; the rest were my fault.
I use pennzoil so I can't blame mobile-1

I spun a rod bearing in a stock N.O.S. '94 Mark VIII engine at 3,401 miles back in '07...the crappy stock bearings and the Kenne Bell sitting on top could have had a little to do with that though. I certainly would not call that "grenading a block" though. I only do that with 5.0L pushrods. ;)

trophy3.jpg

windowedblock.jpg

I wouldn't use Pennzoil either.
I've blown up a few engines in my life, my dad always swore by Mobil-1, and every motor I've blown had Mobil-1 in it. Been using Castrol GTX for the last couple years

Quick question. Would I be able to use my stock intake or would I need to get a cobra intake? Also is the sct x3 the tuner I should get?

Quick question. Would I be able to use my stock intake or would I need to get a cobra intake? Also is the sct x3 the tuner I should get?

Parts will need to be tweeked here and there. 98 mk8 intake and throttle body is pretty close to the cobra location and can be used no problem.

You can get a tune from a sct dealer to load into the hand held tuner. Lonnie at BOC would be a choice but you can call around.
You can schedule dyno time and get a tune, you will still need a switch chip or hand held to load the tunes in many cases.
You can buy the pro racer package from sct and a hand held to do your own tuning, this has a steep learning curve but a lot of material to help you along.

So what should I do about a tune or chip? Can I get the sct x3 and take it a dyno tune shop and have them tune my mark or is there a better route. Sorry for all the questions

You have a lot of tuners out in the "Left Coast" so you should have a few well recognized ones to choose from. I would suggest you work directly with them, rather than buying something you may not need. They can take and re-burn your current chip, once they have made a copy of it. They should be able to get you at least to a point where you can drive the car to their shop so that they can hook it all up on a chassis dyno to finesse the tune for the car and also adjust any drivability issues. Trying to play tuner on your own can be disaster. Too much advance, too little fuel = KABOOOOOM!

I find it hard to believe Mobile 1 was your problem. I and many I know have been beating the snot out of cars for almost 40 years on Mobile 1 with no oil related failures ?? But recently I switched to Royal Purple in the supercharged Mark VIII.

Okay after doing some research I have settled on using the vortech 8n301-390 air to air intercooler. Also I am trying to figure out what piping kit would work best with the least amount of cutting. Any tips or tricks that would make this easier are all welcomed. Thanks.

i picked up a few parts this week. i grabbed a intercooler and a piping kit for the intercooler. now i just need to get the parts for my blow thru mass air flow sensor setup. i may do a pulley shaft seal replacement on the supercharger also since there is a little bit of oil build up around the pulley area on the supercharger.

20140412_223156.jpg

20140412_223114.jpg

I finally had some time to wash my car and took a few photos. It looks a lot better clean :)

20140417_194005.jpg

20140417_194121.jpg

20140417_194154.jpg

2014-04-18 14.08.21.jpg

2014-04-18 14.09.14.jpg

20140417_193850.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back