Subwoofers

95mark8newyork

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Right now whats in my mark is stock from the factory JBL speakers and i guess a factory AMP aswell. It has a Pioneer Premiere headunit(discontinued)- you can still find Pioneer Premiere's online in stock but the one's you see for sale are the lower models, the one i have is the top model.
Sitting in the closet are Infinity speakers and tweeters to replace the stock ones and a Rockford Fosgate Prime Amp.
I don't know who on here specifically likes loud stereos and a lot of bass but that's what i'd like to have and if anyone can chime in it'd be greatly appreciated. I want something that'll hit hard but sound clean. I was looking to go with 2- 12'' subs closed not ported. If the type of music is a factor in which subs i get then this may help- i listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, some rock here and there but mostly the first two i listed. thanks

I like my JL 12W7 and JL 1000/1 amp for all kinds of music, but they're spendy.

I've had this setup since 2004...

its all about what you like.

i had 3 mtx 10's at 600W a piece on a 1500W autotek mono block in a ported box in my 95, it was outrageously tight in there and had to make minor adjusments, but it sounded amazing!

now when i get a 2nd gen ima put that setup back in but with a sealed box that way it fits.

I like my 10" JL's in a vented box, made specific for these three 10's

DSC02725.jpg

thats a nice setup you got, you have blue lighting in there too?

I used to have a GP with six 10 inch w6s in a custom box. I used to knock pictures off the wall at my house. I switched to 3 10 inch audiobahns. Don't remember which model they were, but I know it was spendy. Focal is what I love, but pricey as well. In the mark I have 2 12 inch polk momos with 2 c.500 mono block amp and 2 1.0 farad caps. Its been in there since 04 and I have never had one problem with any of it. You prolly can't buy any of it new anymore though.

I got 1 Memphis mojo 12 about to go into my Lincoln, when I finish the install I can let you hear it since you live close by. I had it in my old town car, and trust me the thing pounds.

Digital Design has got some really serious equipment if you like alot of bass.
But how much can you spend on it?
I'd also say, more money in a good amp instead of all the money in the speaker itself.
I'm currently using an amp worth 15 times more than the bass speaker itself (not kidding :D Cheapest bass on the market) and it's actually not too bad ;)

But when I'm done I'll have a DLS A6 powering a DLS Nordica 12. But that's all SQ stuff and you want alot of bass so I'd say look up Digital Design. And the JL 12W7 aint a bad choice either. I myself got an erection when I saw and heard two JL 8W7 ;)

As your first system I'd probably get some entry level equipment. My only suggestion is buy used from ebay or reputable members on car audio forum's. That way you'll get alot more for your money. If you have to buy new, then the obv choice would be ebay. Brick n' mortor stores will rape you, and bb is full of idiot's.

I'd start with a couple 10's or 12's and a 5-750rms mono amp. Even a single sub and 300rms would prob do the trick for you. The option's are endless.

Sounds good im gonna have to do a lotta looking. thanks for the input guys. If by bb you mean best buym i would never buy anything for my car from them lol. I'm most likely gonna buy new stuff. Thanks again!

Why new?
Used stuff are minimum as good as new.
I bought all of my stuff second hand but most of it was new. My 6.5kit and the 2 channel amp for that was used in EMMA (Europe's SQ mastership) and therefor never ever played loud.
Everything was just as new (one amp was even new) and I got it for almost 1/3 of the price of it all brand new.
I love buying things second hand.

But still, don't but the best subwoofer you can find and then be cheap on the amp by giving it only 300 watts or so. That's not enough.
Spend a little bit more on the amp than the sub. I'd say if you're planning on stuff around 1000 dollars I say pay double the price for the amp than the sub. And I wouldn't really think you need two. I think a single 12" can make your ears bleed if you do it right ;)

If the car audio bug bites you, used is the only way to go. Can't be buying new equipment every couple months.

I only like to buy new, just a personal preference. i'm not getting a 2000 dollar system or anything like that, just something nice to bump too. Might get 1- 12'' sub or 2-10s idk yet. Once i get everything together and decide what im gonna do i'll be set. And whatever gets put in will stay in lol, i'm not going to change anything out. thanks again

You do know though that an 8" can go deeper than a 12" and a 12" can be quicker than an 8"? It all depends on the quality of the subwoofer and the amp :)
But I think a single with a good amp is better than two subs with decent amp.
Because if you have a single with good amp, that single sub will get all of what the amp can give. With two subs and a decent amp the amp will not be as good as the other one and also each sub will only get half each.

I've never actually thought about it like that. Definately hooking it up with a good amp, no doubt about that. If i'm gonna go the single route, most likely I'll get a single 10'' sub and a kickass amp. Whats your opinion though if i get a single 10'' subs, should i get a sealed enclosure or ported? I've heard a single 10'' JL sub (sealed) in a friends car and it hits hard but super clean- you would honestly think there was more than 1 sub in the trunk and definately not a 10 lol. I think sub wise i'll be going with JL, i gotta look around to see whats good for AMPS.

ive always bought kicker subs. solobarics , competition, right now 2 12" cvr's. you get the best performance from a good sealed enclosure.ported and bandpass boxes are great IF you want to tune to a particular frequency which hurts sound quality elsewhere. they like small enclosures(cvr) less than 1cu ft. they have dual voice coils to swallow up power and put proper impedence loads for whatever your setup needs. i currently have a gothic 1600w amp thats rms (continuous) peaks at 2000w and has remote gain control, built in crossover,etc. it hits HARD. bought both speakers and amp for under 400, plus 50 for install stuff wires,rca jacks etc. and have full access to spare tire well. been doing stereos since i was 15.know alot of trade secrets need me holla ill help.
2011-09-24165627.jpg

You do know though that an 8" can go deeper than a 12" and a 12" can be quicker than an 8"? It all depends on the quality of the subwoofer and the amp :)
But I think a single with a good amp is better than two subs with decent amp.
Because if you have a single with good amp, that single sub will get all of what the amp can give. With two subs and a decent amp the amp will not be as good as the other one and also each sub will only get half each.

actually an 8" cant go deeper (which really means lower in frequency) due to the excursion depth of the speaker, BUT, you are correct that a quality speaker will sound better than a cheap one giving the appearance of deeper sound.remember the speaker is the last part of the stereo system and should always be of the highest quality, you can skin on a lesser headunit, amplifiers as long as the thd (total harmonic distortion)doesnt go lower than 5%. jl audio speakers are great, but with any brand entry level speaker wont perform as well or even close to the top of the line w7's. they gobble up anything you can throw at em. whatever you decide, get good speakers. and every time you double your speakers 2, 4, 8 you add 10decibles and spl
pick speaker and ill find you the right box
sorry sweed that amp comment is inaccurate

Yes smaller subs do not hit deeper....larger subs do.

Lots of the subs in here are ok but there is much better out there. Look at Audioque, Digital Designs, RE, Fi.

My system is a single 10" that hits pretty hard for only 500rms. I like running single sub setups because bass is a mono frequency, hence no left and right so no need for multiple subs.

A single sub pushing lots of rms will suffice. Sealed is more efficent but ported is louder. For crisp clean bass youll want an sq sub in a sealed enclosure. To rattle your brain, youll want an spl sub in a ported & tuned enclosure.

Make sure you are using the right gauge of wire. I personally recommend at a minimum 4 gauge but 2 or 0 is best. Also run directly off the battery and make sure its fused correctly. Also you should do the big 3 upgrade.

My question is where the hell do you guys find boxes that fit in these retarded trunks!? I don't want to build one.

Theres 15"~ from the trunk floor to the rear deck, so pretty much any normal/prefab 10 or 12" sealed(some ported) box's will fit. Iirc theres 36"~ width to work with aswell.

Members online

No members online now.
Back