subs and amp

Just gettin home from work so first input since last night. id love to run 3 10s it would be awesome. How are the alpine pdx 1000.1? ive really been lookin into them for a while now. ive never heard boston acoustic in person but have heard spectacular things about them. the spg555 really caught my attention and greater majority of people (i read up on) swear by them and only run one everyone says theres no need for 2. And i found the g5's online but on the main site they go from g3 to spg. if i were to run 3 tens id think the type r's would be great and can grabbem cheap. but i kno they require significant power. g5's would be interesting

So as far as the box setup, the best way to go is rear firing subs and upward facing ports?

Neither, side fireing is the best but if you want to go under the deck then rear fireing is the second best choice. Dont get the Type R, you will be sorry. I posted a link for the G5 10" at $168 each shipped and two will STOMP 4 Type R 10" subs!
If you get three then you need a mono block that is optomized for a 1 ohm load (they will be 1.33) and if you get two you will need an amp optimized for a 2 ohm load. Thats IF you get the single voice coil versions. If you go DVC then its a different story. For 3- SVC subs I would get the Rockford Power 1000.1, for 2 I would get the Alpine or the JL Audio. If you went DVC then for two I would get the Rockford and for three I would get the Alpine or the JL Amp.

If you get 3 SVC G5 10" subs and the Rockford Power 1000.1 then you are looking at $898 shipped and it will be insainly loud but very clean too. I would also get the remote eq knob for the amp so its easier to adjust for different kinds of music.

I would see about having a slot loaded ported box made where the port fires into the cabin through the rear deck for the most boom. If you want it to be really really tight and play deep then a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box is all thats needed. Its also a bit cheaper and much smaller to have a sealed box.

And with the class D amp you dont really need a cap for it. Used to be for 1000 watts the amp would pull almost 200 amps. Now with class D they dont even pull 100 amps at full tilt.
I would reccomend a 2 awg wire kit though. 1/0 gauge if its gonna feed a fuse block that feeds a main amp as well.

i didnt read the thread. but i did see ONE person with a good answer. if you want the best sound. the best bass and the best spl. dont fall for the over marketed l7 by kicker. or the over estimated crap jl audio pushes on people with the w7 speakers. all you need to do is look up FI CAR AUDIO . im promise you will not look back at any other speaker again.

Has anyone watched the newer episodes of UNIQUE WHIPS? They seem to be using the JBL subs now as to where they used to always install the JL's. Also on Overhaulin, they always go with the Bostons. All I can say is that it was 1999 when I bought my JL W0's and the only thing I have had to do with them was replace the foam surround and that made them nice and tight just like new again. Other than that, I would say that JL is very reliable or has been for me.

I'm not knocking any of the others mentioned because I haven't had any first hand experience with any of them. Like I mentioned before, I have pretty much outgrown the booming days since owning the W0's for the past 10 years.

slick, if you really want it to pound hard, have a wall built in the back that comes off the rear deck level and then take a 90 degree turn straight down to the floor and put in 4 12's. I have been inside a Cutlass once that had this setup and it was unreal how it would beat the breath out of you and all of his components were crystal clear. He won many comps with his system and it was all done at Custom Audio back in the day. I have thought about doing this just for looks because my backseat is never used for anything. I just have no need for anything louder than what I have now.

If my son is in the car with me and wants to hear it, I always turn the sub volume down to around 3 and then it sounds like I have 2 low powered 10's.

I agree with Laser about the 1000.1 Fosgate amp. It has a lot of power and it is extremely clear pounding also. I still like the JL 1000/1 because it has more settings built in and it too has much clean power. Good luck slick on whatever your choice may be. If I wasn't working on getting my exhaust parts built up to what I want, I would be getting those 3 10-W3's so that I would know I have something to handle the old school Kicker amp I have on the W0's. The exhaust is my priority right now and I almost have everything I need for it to be complete.

Link is finally working again. Yes, I have some wires showing and yes, I could do more to hide them but I really just got tired of messing with it and I don't use my trunk for carrying things except a few bags of groceries here and there.

Cleaned%20Up%20001.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20002.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20003.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20001.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20002.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20003.jpg

Not really sure what it was you were wanting to see but that's just a few pics that I have of the trunk area. In the daylight pic up top, the red thing you see on the right hand side is a bag that holds jumper cables. I just slid it up there on the side, out of the way.

Link is finally working again. Yes, I have some wires showing and yes, I could do more to hide them but I really just got tired of messing with it and I don't use my trunk for carrying things except a few bags of groceries here and there.

Cleaned%20Up%20001.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20002.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20003.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20001.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20002.jpg

Cleaned%20Up%20Night%20Shots%20003.jpg

Not really sure what it was you were wanting to see but that's just a few pics that I have of the trunk area. In the daylight pic up top, the red thing you see on the right hand side is a bag that holds jumper cables. I just slid it up there on the side, out of the way.

thats a clean install did you do it yourself ?

Nolimit, thats a verynice install.

I remember back in the day at compititians when 80% of the field had the first gen W6 subs in a tripple configuration in a spare tire well or box like that. They were the hottest subs you could get and did everything well. Thats when the W6 looked identical to your W0s. Always will like the W6s and lower but I dont care for the W7 so much.
Those the old Kicker Impulse amps? They look like the first gens. If so they use Zapco boards and design. Remember first time I had to fix one and as soon as I pulled the board I knew what it was and sat it next to a Zapco amp and sure enough, except for the etching, they were identical.
Kicker made some good amps far a while then they went down hill. :(

As to why the TV shows use them its because they are paid to. At First Overhaulin used the Foose series Arc Audio (very nice amp) amps and Foose series.... I forget what speaker company was making the Foose speakers but they had to buy them. Boston became a sponsor and supplies the equipment. Speakes got better cause they use the SL and SX series that are really nice but they always use the G5 or the oval sub and their highend amps. Boston amps are nothing special, they are on par with JLs lower series.

Unique sold only JL and Rockford for years but when they got popular they switched to JBL cause they got sponsored. Thats why you hear Will always say "Put in the JBL components and subs". Thats all they have anyway but he is advertizing them and has to drop their name a couple times each episode. JBLs top couple amps are killer. Like their 6000 watt mono block is un real and if you hald the speaker wires when it was cranked up it could kill you. And their top sub with the silver cap really pounds and sounds nice but its so freaking ugly.

Its all about teh dollar yo!

I feel so inadequate with my tiny system now. :lol:
IMGP0061.gif

i love the idea of 3 g5s im damn sure it would sound amazing, but how do you think the spg555 would compare to 3 g5s? i kno its more surface area (prolly answered it there) but im really steering toward boston. ive always wanted to try fi or dd but way outta my range (like to have top model or runner up of brand) So rear firing sub with upward (deck) facing port/side firing port for optimum volume. am i on the right track with these amps?

http://caraudio.pgpartner.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=64582602/st=product/sv=title

http://caraudio.pgpartner.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=18659786/st=product/sv=title

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/bxi2008d.aspx

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/Txi1508D.aspx

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14783_MTX+Audio+XThunder+X1000D.html

:)
why did you pick those ?

Not really any good examples,but i like these little subs.

has anyone cut the back dash up and mount subs there.I have seen some clean install's in other cars.I wounder if has the same hatch affect as i did with my camaro's.

3 G5s will out pound 1 spg555 but two spg555 will be louder then three G5s.
Also stay away from the MYX or HiFonics amp. Also dont get a regular Rockford series. Once I know which sub and how many you are getting then I can reccomend the best amp to use.

thats a clean install did you do it yourself ?

Yes Trippen, I have changed things a few times and rewired everything when I bought the last Excelon and installed it. Ran all new wiring for the amps in the trunk and added 1.5 caps. Didn't need 2 caps but in my mind, things have to be even on both sides or I can't sleep right. I think I have about 10 hours in all of it with breaks of course. Main power and ground are ran down the drivers side and the RCA cables are all ran down the passenger side. No wires are seen anywhere except for what you see there in the trunk. Some call it clean but I know I could get back there and do better. I have always built my own walls and boxes in my cars except for that box. I tried to build a vented box once and unless you get the port just right, the tune will be off. I heard the same built box in the back of an Explorer with 3 W0's and I had to have it. I got the owner of the shop that I had known for many years to build me that same box and all he asked was for me to buy the wood. He built it for me late night at the shop while I watched and even put the carpet on for me. I might have $30 in that box and that's it. He took his time with it and glued all sides and used 2" cabinet screws all over it instead of the normal little nail gun that he usually used.

Nolimit, thats a verynice install.

I remember back in the day at compititians when 80% of the field had the first gen W6 subs in a tripple configuration in a spare tire well or box like that. They were the hottest subs you could get and did everything well. Thats when the W6 looked identical to your W0s. Always will like the W6s and lower but I dont care for the W7 so much.
Those the old Kicker Impulse amps? They look like the first gens. If so they use Zapco boards and design. Remember first time I had to fix one and as soon as I pulled the board I knew what it was and sat it next to a Zapco amp and sure enough, except for the etching, they were identical.
Kicker made some good amps far a while then they went down hill. :(

As to why the TV shows use them its because they are paid to. At First Overhaulin used the Foose series Arc Audio (very nice amp) amps and Foose series.... I forget what speaker company was making the Foose speakers but they had to buy them. Boston became a sponsor and supplies the equipment. Speakes got better cause they use the SL and SX series that are really nice but they always use the G5 or the oval sub and their highend amps. Boston amps are nothing special, they are on par with JLs lower series.

Unique sold only JL and Rockford for years but when they got popular they switched to JBL cause they got sponsored. Thats why you hear Will always say "Put in the JBL components and subs". Thats all they have anyway but he is advertizing them and has to drop their name a couple times each episode. JBLs top couple amps are killer. Like their 6000 watt mono block is un real and if you hald the speaker wires when it was cranked up it could kill you. And their top sub with the silver cap really pounds and sounds nice but its so freaking ugly.

Its all about teh dollar yo!

I'm also not into the W7 either. W6 is even too much for me. If I was 16 again, I would be all over them but I have always had a boomin car since 16 and I have had 10's 12's 15's and one time I had 4-12's and 2'10's Orion XTR's with Orion amps and I completely beat the windshield out of that car. It was a 77 Cutlass Salon and I had built a wall so really it was a two seater but it was a 2 door anyway. State trooper pulled me over once and told me the wall had to come down and plus my windows were 5% all the way around with 20% on the windshield but at the time, tint was legal at any percentage. I asked how he saw it and he said he didn't, he heard it when I was 3 cars behind him on HWY 31 between Hartselle, AL. and Decatur , AL. but he didn't write me a ticket and he said he appreciated the work I had invested in all of it but it had to come down because of an obstruction of vision. It was a top to bottom wall but boxed in on the back side. He gave me 72 hours to bring it to the station and show that I had removed it so since I had his warning in hand, I pounded the :q:q:q:q out of that thing for 2 days and blew the windshield out from it's seal. It then shattered and really the only thing holding it in place was the built in film and the window tint. Anyway, I took it all out and sold the 12's but kept the 10's because 10's are better suited for a car IMO. You can get high pitch bass and low pitch bass depending on the box you have and of course power.

Yes, the amps you see are the Kicker Impulse series. Came out around 98 and the 2252xi I have running the 10's ran around $1000 new and the 654xi 4 channel that runs my inside speakers went for around $700 new. I have never had one minutes trouble from either of them and I still have a 1252xi and a 356xi for sale. Both are in like new condition. The 356xi is still in it's original box and would make someone a damn good amp for a Mark if they were just going with 4 inner speakers and maybe 2 mild subs. I have pictures of it in the sale section on here. The Impulse series subs SUCK! Please don't ask how I know this.

And yes, I have actually heard Will say "we put the JBL components in" but it seems like the type of show he has and the quality of their work, someone better would pay more to sponsor the show. How come Boston won't step in? Kicker, as well know as they are seems like they would man up and pay the price to get in there. I think it may be the company with the lack of sales is paying the price to be seen again. After what I seen that came out of the Mark lol, I wouldn't want anything they have. I know I yanked a stock system and they do have better quality but I'd prefer not to mess with it. If I took my car to UNIQUE, he would be told to keep JBL out of my car.

i love the idea of 3 g5s im damn sure it would sound amazing, but how do you think the spg555 would compare to 3 g5s? i kno its more surface area (prolly answered it there) but im really steering toward boston. ive always wanted to try fi or dd but way outta my range (like to have top model or runner up of brand) So rear firing sub with upward (deck) facing port/side firing port for optimum volume. am i on the right track with these amps?

slick, if you're going for looks and really want to fill the trunk, go with the 3 G5's if you're dead set on Bostons and the Fosgate 1000.1 but for settings purposes and known power of the JL 1000/1, I would go with the JL amp. I say no to HIFONICS but that's just me. Yes, it's going to be higher in price by a hundred or 2 but IMO, it just has it and I have been in cars with both. Both have a lot of true power and for the box, if you want deepness, go vented and if you really want the deepness and pressure in the cabin with you, have it vented into the cabin with you. Laser could probably explain this 20 paragraphs shorter than I could. Since I have an extra rear seat from the 93 parts car, I might try a new project but I'm not going to use my 94 seat. It's going to require cutting the center out of it and being able to see all 3 of my 10's from the inside but in a good way. People would still be able to ride in the back if needed but I never ride anyone in the back. If I do this, which won't be this year, I will be sure and post the pics of it.

Hey Laser, do you remember back around 83, 84 when the Sony 880's came out? 8" 2 way or 3 way speaker with a raised grill and a red ring around the top. That was the best sounding speaker I ever heard but obviously they have been discontinued for over 20 years. I knew a guy that had 4 of them in the back of an 84 white camaro. They were mounted on a board and the deep well space in the very back was his box. I could hear him coming a mile away but setting in it was so clear.

Sorry for the book! :)

I remember those old Sonys! Their tweeter was a paper cone but horn shaped trim ring. :lol:

About 8 years ago Sony made another set of speakers that were the cleanest I ever heard but they were very wxpensive and only a couple hundred were made. Funny thing was it was all Infinity design. It was 2"x1" titanium ribbon tweeters (Infinity Kappa EMIT ribbon) that are THE SINGLE BEST SOUNDING TWEETER EVER MADE! I love ribbon EMITs but they dont make them any more and they onlyhandle 50 watts. I know a guy that has a set brandnewin the box for $200 and I am always tempted to get them.
Anyway they rest of the Sony speakers were a 6.75" full range and a pair of 12" subs. They sounded excellent but you had to buy the whole ES system I think and it was like $10,000.

PM me some info on that 6 channel impulse. That is the old Zapco desined boards. They will last forever and their signal to noise was over 105db with under .01 THD. Good amps and were very under rated.

As for the JL amp, I would go with the JL if its gonna be tripple DVC subs but on the SVC 4ohm the Rockford will give more power for allot less money. Anything below 1.5ohms and the JL amps get too hot and they dont cool that well. The Rockford has a forced cooling system and being a class "D" they all have lousy THD and high frequency response which is why they are 95% used in sub channels only.

As far as a box a sealed will play deeper then a ported. A ported just has more output at 45-60hz so it seems deeper. A ported box tune port size is its -3db roll off point so if its tuned at 38hz then everything below that freequency will be muted or canceled out all together. In a sealed box the sub can play to below 20hz and there is allot of musical information there. Thats what I mean by impact. My G5 in its .5 box can play to 12hz on an RTA so I set my subsonic filter at 20hz cause humans generally cant hear below 20hz...... but elephants can. :lol:

PM me some info on that 6 channel impulse. That is the old Zapco desined boards. They will last forever and their signal to noise was over 105db with under .01 THD. Good amps and were very under rated.

PM sent! I'm not so sure it's the one you're thinking about though. I did hook it up to my current speaker setup and it hit those 3 10's pretty good but not like the 1252xi did and especially not like the 2252xi is now. Inside speakers sounded the same as the 654xi I have hooked up now. I think you may be referring to the ZR series which I have had before and I couldn't tell any sound difference. Both Impulse and ZR series as with any Kicker amp are very underrated.

i didnt even have to watch that video ive seen it so much. if you look around this guy steven meade i believe it. has other videos as well my favorite is the one where he pops a prostetic eyeball out of a socket of a lady standing at the window of his truck. hes using i beleive 4 18 inch fi car audio fully loaded btl woofers. its friggin sick.

im curious why do people not like hifonic amps. ive been pushing the brutus 1600 and ive never had a problem with it and the sound quality is pretty dandy as well. ya i said dandy.

personally i think 2 12's is perfect for this car i wish i had a digi so i could high light my system. ive got 0awg running down the driver side and all my rca running down the passanger side. the only wire you can see is in the fender of the car when ya open the drivers side door and look in. its about an inch worth of 0awg. the back seat where the arm rest comes down is pretty much paper thin. i acutally installed my 20 farad cap into that area with this would be the only other place you see my power wire but its ment to be seen and looks rather nice. of course im not going with everyone else suggestion of a vented/ported box i myself like a good sealed box you get a tighter cleaner sound from it in my opinion and you dont need as much air space as ya do for ported/vented. if your after spl and you want pressure in you car then go vented. if you want sound qualty look into a sealed box.

The Brutus is becoming well known and is also winning in some competitions. I wouldn't call it a bad amp, especially for the money. They do push some power but I guess my main reason for leaving them alone is because HIFONICS is illuminated when it's on and it reminds me of the old California Profile amps. It's not a quality issue with me for saying no to HIFONICS, it's the appearance I guess. Titan and Zeus I would surely say no.

HiFonics was great then they turned to crap. Maybe they are getting good again.

Id loooove to run 2 spg555's but itd run tooo much money both for the subs and amps. my main mission i suppose is to have perfectly powered sub/subs. no point in underpowered badasss subs.

As far as a box setup ive always always went ported except once went with 2/10's in a bandpass box (85 gt) but is it a bad/stupid idea to have a ported and sealed box (split not seperate)?

You could run two box styles if the subs were playing different freequencies but around 35hz you would have virtually no bass due to cancellation.

The box should be built around you and what kind of music you listen to.

Members online

Back