Spark plug blew out

ground_zero298

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Blew a plug finally. Gonna use the time sert kit. Hopefully I can borrow one from some one on here. I'm going to buy the 10 pack insert kit so whoever I get it from gets 2 inserts on top of what ever it cost for me to use it.

Question I have is for the guys that used the kit how did you set the valves closed? And anything special or time consuming on the job?

Its random but it happens, like winning the lotto. If one goes I'm betting another will follow. Has no bearing if you put them in right or not. Thanks for the link Blue. After looking around I might try a Calvin kit.

After I had it towed home I started it with the plug out to get it in the barn. Exhaust noise from under the hood is weird but it sounds mean. Might pull another 3 plugs out and see how it sounds.

Bosch plugs?

I wish, then I would have a excuse. I do have for sale a COP with a Autolite installed in the middle of it, if any one is interested. I call it the new CAP (coil around plug) very compact and adds 10 horse a cylinder. Makes your car sounds mean as all hell. But only in the front.

Car has had 2 sets of plugs total, all seated and TQ to spec with AS applied. All aluminum fails eventually, was just my time. When I first got this car it had 50K on it, changed plugs and coils that day. #8 cyinder coil was burnt from a loose plug at my 50K change. I blew #7 out today. So I'm doing all 8 when I get the tools.

I did notice a early warning sign. I heard a slight noise for the last 5 days. Sounded like a slight lifter tic. In hind sight realize it was the plug moving up and down in the threads untill they were filed down to nothing and the plug blew out. So If you get a raondom ligter tic that does not go away after the car gets warm, check your plugs and save a coil.

Every few thousand miles i will pull my plugs,clean them and regap them.I notice that about half are finger tight.Is this what is happening or do they completely blow out and not loosen little by little?

Every few thousand miles i will pull my plugs,clean them and regap them.I notice that about half are finger tight.Is this what is happening or do they completely blow out and not loosen little by little?

Thats one of the signs, along with the coil boots turning brownish also(blow by). They loosen untill they get a hair of play in them, then with the cylinder going up and down they shake violently in the threads. They pound up and down until the threads wear away and POOF! right into you coil.

The more you take them out and put them back in the more you fatigue the aluminum, but mine have been changed once and I had a burnt coil and one blow out.

I'm about to have some fun playing with timesert in this junk head I've got. When I tear down this motor I'm timeserting all the plugs.

04172010193.jpg

04172010191.jpg

Has no bearing if you put them in right or not.

but it does have some bearing on how you remove them...or when you remove them i should say.

i had a plug launch...i know i put them in right.
i attribute the thead failure to my dumbazz changing the plugs..several times on a hot motor.

now i only take the plugs out before the engine has been started that day..{stone cold}

I put one drop of motor oil on my plug threads to prevent galling, and when it gets hot it acts as a mild thread lock.

most mark 8's have more than a drop of oil in the plug wells...lolz

LOL ^

I was just saying even putting them in right, you still have a chance of blowing one. My dads been on the phone all night with some romeo engineers. Seems my heads are romeo made and the left and right heads are just the same head turned around. If I blew #7 they say #2 should pop next. He's goona call a couple more over the next couple days for more info on issues and other fixes. I'll post any info they give him.

According to my dad, hot change is the proper way for plug removal on these from what the engineers told him and the repair spec books from romeo. Then again I got a autolite shoved thru a coil, so maybe its not the right way.

Huh. All I have heard for 10 years is never to change them on a hot engine. Always best for it to be as cold as you can get it. Oh well, I always did them cold and never poped a plug in the last 6 4V Fords I had.

I always changed hot in every thing me or my dad has ever owned, First plug either of us has ever seen come out. Who knows.

I change all of my plugs while the engine is warm to the touch and usually not up to operating temp sort of a magic temp roughtly 150 degrees measured with a infared thermometer. The plugs come out easier and you don't get burned. The only thing I put on my plug's threads is anti-sieze and I always coat the threads only and chase the threads everytime with a tap. I also lubricate the ceramic groves with dial-electric grease. I never touch the metal contacts with any of it. I change my plugs once a year with autolite double plats. I run my gaps at .065 with no problems on stock coils.

Also the same head flipped for both sides is a conti thing as of right now. Conti heads were made by Romeo. Mark heads were bought for Romeo. So don't read into the "if #7 blows #2 should follow"

And let me say again, This plug did not just blow out without any warning signs. Their were signs I ingnored because of my lazyness, time schedule, and it being 30 degree's and windy outside, more me being lazy then anything. If I would have dedicated a hour to actually look under the hood I could have avoided the whole issue.

First sign was 5 days before the plug came out. Slight knock like a lifter ticking that didn't go away whae it got warm. Could only here it in front of the car. I wrote it off as alternator bearings getting worse even though the sound was in a different place.

Days 2 thru 4, Ticking/knocking progressivley got louder but had the same tick/pattern as a lifter still.

Day 5 was a little louder, then it went from a knocking to a clunking with the CEL light coming on in 3 minutes and a hard miss. Car would idle on its own untill the steering wheel was turned the die. Had a nice exhaust note coming from under the hood.

Now I know, next time I hear a lifter tick, I will pull my coil covers and re tighten my plugs. Kind of hard to have a lifter tick with no lifters. Hope this will save someone else the trouble of going thru the whole situation.

And let me say again, This plug did not just blow out without any warning signs. Their were signs I ingnored because of my lazyness, time schedule, and it being 30 degree's and windy outside, more me being lazy then anything. If I would have dedicated a hour to actually look under the hood I could have avoided the whole issue.

First sign was 5 days before the plug came out. Slight knock like a lifter ticking that didn't go away whae it got warm. Could only here it in front of the car. I wrote it off as alternator bearings getting worse even though the sound was in a different place.

Days 2 thru 4, Ticking/knocking progressivley got louder but had the same tick/pattern as a lifter still.

Day 5 was a little louder, then it went from a knocking to a clunking with the CEL light coming on in 3 minutes and a hard miss. Car would idle on its own untill the steering wheel was turned the die. Had a nice exhaust note coming from under the hood.

Now I know, next time I hear a lifter tick, I will pull my coil covers and re tighten my plugs. Kind of hard to have a lifter tick with no lifters. Hope this will save someone else the trouble of going thru the whole situation.

so your dad and his battery of romeo engineers couldn't save you from this?

had you mentioned that noise here,we probably could have saved your azz.

my plug blew out with about 5 BLOCKs of warning
slight tap...got louder...couple of blocks from the house..POPPOPPOP.

just so no one else procrastinates a similar problem
DO NOT WAIT 5 DAYS

Members online

No members online now.
Back