Sometimes, it pays to help people out.

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
I helped out someone in a jam in the middle of nowhere today. They needed a jumpstart and didn't have jumper cables. The closest town was about 70 miles away.

I told them I have a set in the pick-up truck, but they are kinda janky as I've been meaning to buy another set.

So, I whipped out the jumper cables, hooked them up and we waited for a few minutes. In the meantime, I got to talking to one of the guys and I noticed a tow rope in the back of his pick-up truck. 2" x 20 feet. These guys work for a big Oil and Gas service company and use those ropes to pull their semis out when they get stuck. I commented on how it was a shame to let that rope get trashed in the back of his pick-up truck. He agreed, told me it was not his company truck. Apparently, his co. truck was in the shop.

Anyway, we get the engine going, and the guy asked for my number to give to his boss in case they needed to account why they were late. SO, I gave him one of my cards.

I get back into town, and I get a phone call from a local number that wasn't in my address book. I answered, and the guy on the other line identified himself as one of the guys I helped out today. He asked if I was in town. "As a matter of fact, I just rolled in and I'm at my shop", I said.

"Would you mind meeting me at (xyz), my boss has something he wants me to give you."

"Uhhh.. Ok...? I'll see you there in 10 minutes", I said. I figured a nice coffee mug or another such trinket they give out.

I get there, and the guy thanks me again for helping them out today. "No worries man", I said. "I couldn't just let you guys hang there like that". YOu'd have wasted 3 hours going back to town to get jumper cables then come all the way back here. (20 miles of the 70 miles were on a mud road).

"My boss knows you and he wanted me to give you these" he said as we're walking to the back of his pick-up truck.

"Your boss being?" I asked.

He told me the guy's name and sure as hell, I know who the guy is. We get to the back of his pick-up truck, and he pulls out this box.

IMG_20110227_174139.png

Brand new.

I told the guy "Look man, I appreciate it, but it's not necessary. Have your boss buy me lunch some day if he wants to pay for my time."

"Yeah, he said to call him, he is buying lunch", he tells me. "But on top of that, he also wanted me to bring one of these out for you".

He reaches into the bed of his truck and pulls out a sack. "WTF?", I thought.

"I mentioned to my boss how you told me you've pulled your share of people out of the ditch with the rope you have on your bumper and how you're waiting for the day when it will snap trying to pull someone out that's stuck a little more than usual. So he told me to grab one of them".

So, here's the old tow rope:

IMG_20110227_170346.jpg

After spending a half hour trying to figure how I'm going to get the new rope on the bumper and not fall off, I came up with this:

New rope. 2" x 20'. 98,000 lb break rating. Or was it 96,000... I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the other side of the shop. Either way. My bumper will rip off before the rope will break. Kind of defeats the idea of making the rope weaker than the bumper so it snaps before the bumper pulls off, but I'm well aware of what that bumper can pull and I won't go over it.

IMG_20110227_175842.jpg

What's the moral of the story?

Well, it's simple. I'm not ALWAYS and ass in real life. I only turn into one when I deal with idiots. ;)

Edit: It's 92,000 lbs. Delta Rigging and Tooling Co.

Last edited:
The Good Samaritan

+++ Good on yah!

You haven't lived until you give a jump to a pair of the kind of characters you'd expect to find on a deserted side street in downtown Detroit in a snowstorm. (It's hard to attach the cables---home-made from 00 welding cable---while keeping one hand on the 1911);)

KS

nice story frog. i have done things like this too, jumped a few, changed a few flats, even helped someone recently walking with a gas can, but i was lucky to even get a thank you lol!

Aaaand it looks like I get to test the new tow rope tonight.

I decided to head to my property tonight. 3 miles from the house, I get stuck on my road. Now I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to show up and bring a snow machine with him. We can take it to the house, fire up the blade and bring it back here to pull my happy ass out.

I made the tracks a couple of days ago when I was last here. In the meantime, we got another 3 to 4 inches of snow.

IMG_20110227_214430.jpg

IMG_20110227_214452.jpg

IMG_20110227_214510.jpg

IMG_20110227_214400.jpg

I am getting too old to walk in 5 degree weather and knee deep snow while wearing only thin cowboy boots.

IMG_20110227_215524.jpg

Damn... I always help people out and it always seems to pay, I've never gone hungry.

I can't believe you got that beast stuck... wowza.

There's always a first time for everything. Haven't been stuck in the 2+ years I've had it. What killed me was the tires. They are an "ALll terrain" setup (Continental HDR's), but deep snow like that, they aren't made for.

It happens. Wasn't the first time I've ever been stuck won't be the last.

6.4L Powerstroke I assume? How do you like it and have you had any problems with it? I hope nobody tries to gank your pretty pull rope, nobody probably looked twice at your old rope.

nice story frog. i have done things like this too, jumped a few, changed a few flats, even helped someone recently walking with a gas can, but i was lucky to even get a thank you lol!

Same here, helped out a lot of folks along the way. It is always nice to see it work it's way back around to you, Frogman! :cool:

6.4L Powerstroke I assume? How do you like it and have you had any problems with it? I hope nobody tries to gank your pretty pull rope, nobody probably looked twice at your old rope.

No major issues with it. Had the HPFP, low pressure pump replaced as well as the fuel system cleaned (tank, etc) because I bought a load of bad diesel at Flying J in Phoenix. Other than that, no major issues.

I don't foresee anyone trying to steal that rope. Most criminals, by default, are lazy and incompetent. With that said, they either won't figure out how to remove it, or they will realize it's too much work to take it off quietly.

Clean your truck! My truck would throw a rod through the hood if I kept her that dirty. Same with my mark. Picky fords =[

In that case, your truck is a foo-foo pansy wanna-be truck. I'm not about to clean a vehicle only to have it get muddy again the next day. I wait until the mud is gone. I'm crazy. But I'm not anal about cleaning a vehicle that's just going to get dirty as soon as I drive it out of the shop.

Frog those recon headlights on your beast?

No. They are not Recon headlamps. Recon does sell the same headlamps at a ridiculous mark-up. I paid, IIRC, $299 for the pair from a company that sells headlamps. About 8 months later, (if not a full year), I get an email from Recon telling me about their two great, new, super dooper new revolutionary headlamps that they came out with.

When I emailed them and asked how it was possible that I had purchased one of "their" headlamp sets (the other style they currently sell) for a mere $299 a whole 8 months before the email, and then told them they're nothing but a price gouging co, I got an email back that said "Have a nice day". Wish I had kept it.

And that's what Recon is, nothing but over priced stuff that if you look around enough, you can find for half off. I've got the Recon cab lights and mirror lights. But I'm never doing business with them again, after realizing how badly they gouge customers.

Funny you say that my good friend has an f150 that had Recon headlights(the new LED type) very dissapointed with them. he used there h1 hyper white bulbs and you couldnt see :q:q:q:q. he ended up taking them off due to the lack of vision and the halo's you couldnt even see from a distance. 500$ paper weights. He does have there blacked out 3rd brake light. was just wondering if you did have Recon what your experience was...so enough said lol...

I think its called karma - in this case a bit more 'instant' than others....

Mostly what you have to do is dirty up the tow rope - so it matches everything else.

The only thing "wrong" I can see with this new rope is that it is a twist braid style.

The old rope was nice in that it stretches quite a bit to absorb the shock from a rolling jerk. I keep a 1.5" double-braid snake rope in my tool box on the F250, and have been able to pull MUCH heavier things out with that.

Get a 10-15MPH run on it and let the momentum stretch the rope out, Hit the brakes and let the rope do the work in pulling. Overall, that new rope is stronger, but it'll be harder on the truck because of the shock.

You know what your doing though, so this post is null and void.

Take care buddy.

Mike

Good on you mang. Thats one hell of a rope! :lol:

So whos blood is that on the hitch?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest it helps being nice to the "idiots" too.

Sure, most of it is wasted effort, but I find find it can come back in good karma 1 in 10 times.

For example, that "diesel mechanic". Sure, he was off-base, but he had your best interests in mind. I thought it was nice of him to offer advice.

Part of it comes from being clueless about stuff myself, so maybe I'm one of them!

The only thing "wrong" I can see with this new rope is that it is a twist braid style.

The old rope was nice in that it stretches quite a bit to absorb the shock from a rolling jerk. I keep a 1.5" double-braid snake rope in my tool box on the F250, and have been able to pull MUCH heavier things out with that.

Get a 10-15MPH run on it and let the momentum stretch the rope out, Hit the brakes and let the rope do the work in pulling. Overall, that new rope is stronger, but it'll be harder on the truck because of the shock.

You know what your doing though, so this post is null and void.

Take care buddy.

Mike

I agree. But I don't plan on getting a 50mph head start on a 20' rope. Besides, the 35 footer that was on there previously will still ride in the bed of the truck, so if I ever need to jerk someone out, it's there.

Honestly, the new rope will be used. But if I can get away with the original one, I'll use that. It's a pain in the ass to remove and re-install the bigger rope. But it's there if I need to pull out a semi tanker in the mud, or if I need more length than 35 feet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest it helps being nice to the "idiots" too.

Sure, most of it is wasted effort, but I find find it can come back in good karma 1 in 10 times.

For example, that "diesel mechanic". Sure, he was off-base, but he had your best interests in mind. I thought it was nice of him to offer advice.

Part of it comes from being clueless about stuff myself, so maybe I'm one of them!

Perhaps. But IMHO the guy was trying to BS me what with him being a diesel mechanic. Personally, I think he was trying to start up a conversation but he went about it the wrong way by lying to me about being a diesel mechanic. Once that happened... nice left kicking rocks down the road.

Members online

No members online now.
Back