Sapperfires new motor.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Some of you may know that a couple weeks back Sapperfire stopped by so I could try and figure out some weird problems his car was having. Well I found a bad head gasket and #7&8 were getting coolant in them. We put a band-aid on it (Bars Leak) and he hunted for a new motor. We pulled it last week from a JY in Waco and started our project.

He compression tested a cylinder at the yard and it was 190 so he figured all was good. Unfortunately we didn't have a starter today when I thought we should check all eight. Turning by hand we could only get 25psi out of it. :lol: But jamming my finger down each hole showed me each cylinder tried to swallow my hand so I hope we are ok. Engine is pretty clean inside and no sludge at all. The passenger side cylinder head has been....... molested before. Its quite a bit cleaner inside then the drivers and there was gasket maker on the VC.

So we will move foreword and hope for the best. We are replacing ALL gaskets on the motor just to be safe and I have checked the guides and tensioners and all seem to be in good order.

Now on to the fun part..... The engine was FILTHY!! It was so nasty outside and it took fore freakin ever to clean the damn thing.

IMGP1798.jpg

IMGP1802.jpg

IMGP1803.jpg

So after getting it cleaned down I went to town on the beautification. Did some titanium blue pearl on the intake, brackets and timing cover. I did Ford racing blue (its much darker in person) on the valve covers and the water pump. Tried some old chrome paint on the pulleys but it was old and no good so it messed them up. Gonna strip and try something else.... not sure what yet.

So let me know what ya think! I been bustin ass all day on the paint and am quite pleased with how it turned out. :)

EDIT: And it was only mock up. The IMRCs are coming out for strip and paint and the bolts are all being polished up.

IMGP1809.jpg

IMGP1814.jpg

IMGP1818.jpg

IMGP1822.jpg

IMGP1824.jpg

IMGP1825.jpg

The blue looks great.

Doesn't look like it was easy lol.

Hopefully it turns out to run as good as it now looks.

Thanks! You should see the titanium blue in person though. After I did the timing cover I was HOOKED! I wanna do my valve covers and blower in it. It looks like a darker silver metallic with a blue pearl clear on it. When I brought it outside I was blown away. Cant seem to capture it with the camera though. :(

But I rattle canned the hell out of the covers and then put three coats of a high temp clear that wont yellow like mine did. I am really happy with myself for how they turned out. :)

Very nice. I'll have a motor I plan to fiddle with with my parts car here soon myself. You guys now have a spare motor as well to fiddle with.

Thanks! You should see the titanium blue in person though. After I did the timing cover I was HOOKED! I wanna do my valve covers and blower in it. It looks like a darker silver metallic with a blue pearl clear on it. When I brought it outside I was blown away. Cant seem to capture it with the camera though. :(

But I rattle canned the hell out of the covers and then put three coats of a high temp clear that wont yellow like mine did. I am really happy with myself for how they turned out. :)

where'd you get that titanium blue paint and what brand is it? They have any other colors with the same effects?

shoulda powder coated them........lol, you shoulda taken the imrc plate out too, then showed me step by step what bolts go where cause i kinda don't remember where mine go

Jeez Bill, you sure know how to make a Turd look pretty!!

All kidding aside that looks awesome. I cannot wait to see that thing in Saps car, he must be hanging to get going on this as he has put so much into his car as well over the last few months

That is awesome! Make sure you clean that engine bay up! That's going to look sweet!

Looks great!!! Did Ford ever have a high performance orange or did they only have the blue?

I still think you should be selling some of this stuff here and on Fleabay.

I got both colors at Advance, the titanium is by SCT (I think) and I don't remember what the FoMoCo blue brand was...snap a shot of the cans Bill :)

It does look SO much better in person, that titanium color is just awesome..Bill did a great job of painting those for me

We both busted a$$ pretty much all day, cleaning the motor, stripping it down, cleaning more....and then...cleaning more, used several cans of engine degreaser and parts cleaner, copper brushes and steel wool...

The install will be in the very near future I think, was planning on 2 weeks...I still want more time for cleaning tho..tryin to get a few parts together, still need a new IAC, exhaust gaskets, IMRC gaskets, egr gasket, throttle body gasket and trans seals

as we do this install there will be PLENTY of pics taken, I don't really remember where every bolt goes myself, we were kinda in a time crunch so we just threw all the bolts into one box as we removed everything, took box of bolts and nuts to work as they had a date with my wire wheel

897f39e0.jpg

I've seen them blue, but usually I buy them that way. I guess someone else paints them blue for me. ;) :D

Like the deer hitting a deer thing in my overdrive post? Anyway, I am retarded sometimes. And no I do not paint the gaskets! Sapperfire, Laser sorry for going offtopic, it's something else I do.

That blue looks sick. I can't wait to start tearing into the engine for the red one.

I had originally wanted to do some red, seeing the way Dannys turned out, I really like the way his is coming along. I would love to powder coat it all, but I doubt I would ever get that color in powder...and I absolutly love the way the color came out, and since I have a blue on blue I think red would have clashed real bad

the install is still "planned" for a couple weeks, but getting the list of everything that really needs to be replaced, and then stick $ signs next to those things, it may be a bit longer...so far here's a small list of everything that still needs to be gathered up

IAC ,Injector rebuild kit, IMRC gaskets, trans seals, throttle body and egr gaskets, O2 sensors, exhaust gaskets, vac lines, blue wire loom, lower coolant hoses (just because) ....and a farkin battery cuz mine just died
would also like to finish deleting the intake, the coolant gauge I'm using for a plug looks kinda rice

the pass side head is always cleaner than the driver for some reason, every motor i ever took apart had a clean head and atarnished head, except the last one i took apart that had hot fudge heads. motor looks awesome, but will it run?

There was orange gasket maker in the right valve cover, none on the left, plus there were Brand new motor craft plugs in it, and bosche in the other. Someone has deffinatly been in that motor

ok they may have been in it i wasnt arguing that but my point is, if i took the valve covers off my 97 right now, or m father in laws 97, or my 98, one head would look brand new and one wouldnt, for some reason one head will always look nice and clean inside and one will look tarnished.

Members online

No members online now.
Back