Retractable License Plate???

I want one of these bad, but I park partially on the street, and I'm not too sure I can trust the cops around here to leave me alone about it.

Update,
Now its been on the car for a couple weeks. Works awesome, only problem is at speed there's too much wind resistance for the motor to actuate correctly.

State cop pulled me over said my plate was crooked, I didn't believe him, thought maybe the frame had come loose and blown/bent it up because I knew the actuator had been working correctly.
I asked if I could get out and look, got out, went to the front, it was halfway down. Reached back inside, lowered it all the way, the look on the cops face was priceless, he wasn't sure to either give me a ticket or was like WTF?
He said: "I've never seen that before!!!????"
Told me to have a nice day.

lol, I wouldn't have written you a damn thing. More power to ya in my book.
We don't require front plates here anyway.

It turned out very nice. I wanted one forever but Hite's bracket solved my biggest concern.....not drilling into the front bumper. Hell of a nice job Bull.

...Hite's bracket solved my biggest concern.....not drilling into the front bumper...

worked great for me as well when I had it mounted higher than the lowest part of the bumper (side placement). I relocated it to the center, so like you did I attached the bracket to the bottom of the bumper. Howevevr, this makes the license plate lower than the bumper so I'm slowly destroying the plate lol scraping going down most inclines. So the bracket is fine, doesn't scrape at all. The problem is the bottom of the plate sits a bit lower than the bottom of the bracket. This placement doesn't work too great for lowered LSes.

I have to talk to Hite maybe he can develop a couple of small piece that can raise up the plate maybe .5"

Not trying to take anything away from the product. I still think its a great custom product.

BTW, great job Bull. Although we already had this convo lol.

Cool!!!:cool: Plan to start driving the LS more. I will need this come summer.

worked great for me as well when I had it mounted higher than the lowest part of the bumper (side placement). I relocated it to the center, so like you did I attached the bracket to the bottom of the bumper. Howevevr, this makes the license plate lower than the bumper so I'm slowly destroying the plate lol scraping going down most inclines. So the bracket is fine, doesn't scrape at all. The problem is the bottom of the plate sits a bit lower than the bottom of the bracket. This placement doesn't work too great for lowered LSes.

I have to talk to Hite maybe he can develop a couple of small piece that can raise up the plate maybe .5"

Not trying to take anything away from the product. I still think its a great custom product.

BTW, great job Bull. Although we already had this convo lol.

Ya mine scrapes all the time too. I may play with the design of my bracket and see if I can move the plate up a little and let you know. I have alot going on right now...mods, familly, mods....

Would you say it's GOLDEN?! :shifty:

I am not fully ready to make a call yet. Once I get pulled over again for not having a front plate and see how the officer reacts when magically one is there I will make a decision.

For those who are wondering. It is a Swift Motorsports Motorized hideaway holder. I had to remove some of the slats from my lower grille to do the install. It comes with 2 wireless fobs to operate it. It was wired into the master point line under the fuse box up front so it will work even when the car is off and sitting in a parking lot.

For those who are wondering. It is a Swift Motorsports Motorized hideaway holder. I had to remove some of the slats from my lower grille to do the install. It comes with 2 wireless fobs to operate it. It was wired into the master point line under the fuse box up front so it will work even when the car is off and sitting in a parking lot.

Thanks.

The ONLY time I've been pulled over for no front plate was in Nebraska on vacation. I guess the COPper was ticked that he couldn't get me for speeding (THANK YOU Mr. Valentine!) so he had to get me for something. As he was walking up to the car I heard over his radio "affirmative California." The next thing I know I'm in his car explaining the radar detector was a detector and NOT a jammer (that would be illegal!) and he's writing me a fix-it-ticket for no front plate! REALLY?????? Isn't there a REAL crime happening? I figured I was his out-of-state quota for the day.

Been running no front plate for almost 13 years and the local constabulary doesn't seem to care. The CHPer that wrote me up for window tint didn't seem to care about no front plate.

Strange, I wouldn't think that an out of state cop could nail you for something that's only required in your home state. They can nail NE drivers, but I wouldn't think they could nail out of state drivers for it. You could always contest it and see what happens, would be worth a laugh if nothing else. Glad OK doesn't have front plates.

Strange, I wouldn't think that an out of state cop could nail you for something that's only required in your home state. They can nail NE drivers, but I wouldn't think they could nail out of state drivers for it. You could always contest it and see what happens, would be worth a laugh if nothing else. Glad OK doesn't have front plates.

The story about getting it signed-off is pretty good but my typing skills aren't good enough to type that long....

I would like to find these gentlemen that you all talk about in such a favorable tone and really watch how they handle traffic stops. It appears there are some real gems out there, professionalism wise.

Also, I can’t write someone from a state requiring a front plate if they are in my state, which doesn't require one, for not having one. That's kinda ridiculous. An officer can only enforce the laws of the jurisdiction that governs him. I can’t write people for breaking a California law in West Virginia, unless it is also a law here. It that situation indeed happen, I hope you fought that.

I would like to find these gentlemen that you all talk about in such a favorable tone and really watch how they handle traffic stops. It appears there are some real gems out there, professionalism wise.

Also, I can’t write someone from a state requiring a front plate if they are in my state, which doesn't require one, for not having one. That's kinda ridiculous. An officer can only enforce the laws of the restriction that governs him. I can’t write people for breaking a California law in West Virginia, unless it is also a law here. It that situation indeed happen, I hope you fought that.

Looks like NE requires a front plate.

I didn't really care.....It was a fix-it-ticket. Besides, he checked the box that said no REAR plate.

... The next thing I know I'm in his car

did it hurt ?

Been running no front plate for almost 13 years and the local constabulary doesn't seem to care.

Tell me something, when a car is traveling from out of State, (where front plates are not required) visiting or passing through your State, is it required to adhere to local state and bolt on a front plate ?

Why couldn't a car that's registered in a State where no front plate is required pass through a State where it is required with out hassle ?

Why couldn't a car that's registered in a State where no front plate is required pass through a State where it is required with out hassle ?

My car is registered in NJ. Over the 4 years I lived in PA for school, I was pulled over several times, and not once was my missing front plate mentioned...

I've been back in Jersey for about 8 months now, and I've been pulled over 4 times for no front plate. I've been able to talk my way out of the plate ticket, but i'm 2/4 for my dark a$$ tint lol

It's like LS4me said "Isn't there a REAL crime happening"

I once got clocked over going the opposite way, (in my 2001 Jimmy 4x4) he turned around.
I don't usually give them the high speed pursuit benefit so I was already pulled over for him waiting. He said I was doing over, I said I don't think so, he must be mistaking, he said he had me on the radar, I said: oh good, you can show me then, he then says: I already cleared it, I said: you must have been mistaken I'm sure of it. 15 minutes later a fix it notice for tinted frames over my license plate. He also wanted to know where I was going in such a hurry, told him it was irrelevant, he insisted, told him "to your sister's place"

Once in going through a spot check program, asked if I had been drinking, I said: it's Fn 11AM in the morning, do I look like the type that drinks before noon ? We are checking everyone Sir ... You must be on drugs I said as I roll my window back up and hit it.

It's like LS4me said "Isn't there a REAL crime happening"

I once got clocked over going the opposite way, (in my 2001 Jimmy 4x4) he turned around.
I don't usually give them the high speed pursuit benefit so I was already pulled over for him waiting. He said I was doing over, I said I don't think so, he must be mistaking, he said he had me on the radar, I said: oh good, you can show me then, he then says: I already cleared it, I said: you must have been mistaken I'm sure of it. 15 minutes later a fix it notice for tinted frames over my license plate. He also wanted to know where I was going in such a hurry, told him it was irrelevant, he insisted, told him "to your sister's place"

Once in going through a spot check program, asked if I had been drinking, I said: it's Fn 11AM in the morning, do I look like the type that drinks before noon ? We are checking everyone Sir ... You must be on drugs I said as I roll my window back up and hit it.

This made me laugh. You are so pleasant.

Members online

No members online now.
Back