Reasonable Price for Transmission Rebuild?

Notoriou$

LVC Member
Reaction score
OK. I expect to get some sh!t cuz I'm a noob, but this is a serious question. What is a reasonable price to pay for a rebuilt transmission. I have a 93 Mark VIII with a 4.6.

2K is about the going rate for a rebuild at trans shops.

Throw that 93 trans in the trash and get a good used 98 Mark VIII trans.

The receipt that came with mine showed $1700. When I had the transmission done in my Mustang I bought the parts (heavy duty) then had a transmission guy I know do it for $400 in labor, but that was years ago.

Throw that 93 trans in the trash and get a good used 98 Mark VIII trans.

Thats an option right now. I'm lookin into another car that I found randomly and waiting to hear from the owner about selling or parting it out.

Also, what are the places (large chains) that I need to stay away from for a rebuild? Would it be something to take to Ford (even tho i know they'll charge out the a$$)?

get ahold of
darrin at bc automotive
or
lonnie at blue oval chips

everything about the 93-97 trans is crap I even read you shouldnt reuse the case... get a 98 trans and have that rebuilt then swap it in when you are ready.

You could also try your local community college auto program. They will often do jobs at steeply discounted rates.

Also, what are the places (large chains) that I need to stay away from for a rebuild? Would it be something to take to Ford (even tho i know they'll charge out the a$$)?

I'd stay away from all national chains. I'm sure Ford would do fine, but I sure wouldn't pay them to do it. Find some local car guys and/or a local car related forum and ask them who does good work in your area.

If you have a reputable transmission repair place, that will do quality work, just rebuild it. Alot of people like to get a 98 tranny and rebuild it, but you already have a tranny in the car. My very first Mark, I bought had a bad tranny, and I sent it to my mechanic knows his sh!t, rebuilt that puppy right, and to this day, there has been now trouble with it. Mark101's brother has it now, and it's going more than 5 years on that rebuilt tranny. I believe in the quality of the workmanship and the competence of the mechanic. Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

If you have a reputable transmission repair place, that will do quality work, just rebuild it. Alot of people like to get a 98 tranny and rebuild it, but you already have a tranny in the car. My very first Mark, I bought had a bad tranny, and I sent it to my mechanic knows his sh!t, rebuilt that puppy right, and to this day, there has been now trouble with it. Mark101's brother has it now, and it's going more than 5 years on that rebuilt tranny. I believe in the quality of the workmanship and the competence of the mechanic. Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

I go back and forth on this.
I can see if your planning to do future mods to go with the 98+ trans, but if you drive the car without beating the hell out of it the factory trans will work just fine for 100,000 miles.

It depends on what your plans are for the car.

As for price you just have to ask around, just keep in mind a 98+ trans is not a straight swap.

Do they include a parts box for the ones they left out?
What makes you think they are going to leave anything out:rolleyes: I've had a couple of people I know go this route and didn't have problems.

$200 to $400 for a 98+ trans, do not rebuild it. Swap electrical internals out, J-Mod it and install it. It's too simple and all of this can be done for less than $500 and you'll have a much better transmission without anymore future worries about it, if treated right.

I wouldn't pay $100 for a transmission place, including Lincoln to rebuild a 93 thru 97 trans. Not worth it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back