Rear Toe Link / Tie Rod / Lateral Bar, options other then ford?

I've read this whole thread a couple times and am still kinda confused. I recently took my car in to have an alignment (after I put new shocks and springs) and they said the tie rods needed replacement which I believe since the car has over 100,000. I also figure I'd ask what else I should buy so I can "freshen" up the rear all at once and no have to worry later.

I'd like to use motorcraft parts. Are tie rods known as stabilizer links? And what is the adjust link? What are toe links? There seems to be many different names for the same part.

I'm looking at this pic
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocat...P080&callout=6&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance.

I've read this whole thread a couple times and am still kinda confused. I recently took my car in to have an alignment (after I put new shocks and springs) and they said the tie rods needed replacement which I believe since the car has over 100,000. I also figure I'd ask what else I should buy so I can "freshen" up the rear all at once and no have to worry later.

I'd like to use motorcraft parts. Are tie rods known as stabilizer links? And what is the adjust link? What are toe links? There seems to be many different names for the same part.

I'm looking at this pic
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocat...P080&callout=6&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks in advance.

In the diagram you list, Item 6 is referred to under 3-4 different names. Toe Link, Tie Rod, Lateral Bar, Adjustment Link. Depends on who's selling it really.

Item 14 is what is called the sway-bar end-link, or stabilizer bar link. They also have different names depending upon what or who is selling it.

As far as freshening up the rear, you'd want to replace everything with a bushing. Since that's essentially overhauling the rear, I'd just worry about the two items I mentions and replace what else is worn/broke.

Thanks for the explanation - I think I'm starting to get it...One more question, if I were to order item 6, which they call the adjust link, is that the entire bar with both tie rods? I was under the assumption there was a left/right tie rod which needed to be replaced. Would I need to order 2 "adjust links"??

For example, I see that item 14 (sway bar end link) is sold as a left/right but item number 6 is just one piece. Again, I really appreciate the help - learn something new every day.

Thanks for the explanation - I think I'm starting to get it...One more question, if I were to order item 6, which they call the adjust link, is that the entire bar with both tie rods? I was under the assumption there was a left/right tie rod which needed to be replaced. Would I need to order 2 "adjust links"??

For example, I see that item 14 (sway bar end link) is sold as a left/right but item number 6 is just one piece. Again, I really appreciate the help - learn something new every day.

The design of the adjustment link, as you referred to it, is symmetrical. This means it's the same piece for both left or right side. It comes complete as a unit, but you will need to get a new nuts for it. They are sacrificial. I would venture to say that some blue loctite would also allow you to re-use the old nuts, but a new one should only be a few bucks at a Ford dealer.

The design of the end link is asymmetric which means the left side is different then the right side. They also come as a complete unit and the same advice about the nuts applies.

So it's the same piece for left and right but comes complete as a unit which means I need to just purchase one?? Sorry to be a pain in the a$$ but I plan to order tomorrow so I want to be sure.

I plan to order:
Adjust link, ls6, ls8 00-04 $76.98
Link, ls6, ls8, right 00-06 $36.29
Link, ls6, ls8, left 00-06 $36.29

Thanks again Kumba!

So it's the same piece for left and right but comes complete as a unit which means I need to just purchase one?? Sorry to be a pain in the a$$ but I plan to order tomorrow so I want to be sure.

I plan to order:
Adjust link, ls6, ls8 00-04 $76.98
Link, ls6, ls8, right 00-06 $36.29
Link, ls6, ls8, left 00-06 $36.29

Thanks again Kumba!

2 adjustment links, one for the right side, one for the left side.
1 right side sway bar end link
1 left side sway bar end link

4 total assemblies

I am seconding the advice about replacing the nuts. They are one-time-use nylon locknuts. Go to your dealer and tell them what you are replacing and they will give you the nuts. Shouldn't be more than $8 for all the nuts you need.

I am seconding the advice about replacing the nuts. They are one-time-use nylon locknuts. Go to your dealer and tell them what you are replacing and they will give you the nuts. Shouldn't be more than $8 for all the nuts you need.

Blue thread locker would work just as well in theory. If you were really paranoid you could step up to Red but you will need high heat to remove them (and I wouldn't recommend you use it). To do it to spec per the manual you would want to buy new nuts

I just bought new nuts, they were like $1 each.

Is there anyplace we can get the lock nuts online? I need to work on just about everything on the suspension now.

Is there anyplace we can get the lock nuts online? I need to work on just about everything on the suspension now.

Search the site, plenty of guys here who sell parts. As well as any Ford dealer will have them.

I took the plunge on the toe links and sway links. I have a bad vibration at 60 to 80 and is considerably more noticeable when running my 19's vs. my 16's with snow tires. I really hope this takes care of the issue.

UPS came today and dropped off my Tasca parts. Not sure if I'd order from them again or just stick to Max...

Oh, and I got my Eibach Camber Kit too

tasca.jpg

tasca2.jpg

I need to get the toe links and sway bar links. Care to share how much it cost myfirstlincoln?

I believe for everything shipped to my door it was like $270.

I kinda wish I woulda seen how much Max sells the stuff for because Tasca shipping/service is tough to deal with IMO. They also put the wrong address on the box (yes, I gave the correct information - I checked my order confirmation) which delayed shipping further.

Hmmm ok. Ill have to check Max out. 270 doesnt sound too bad though

The price is right, but if Max can get a similar price I'd probably order from him instead. If his price isn't close, Tasca is a good alternative - might take a bit longer to get, but I guess that's the cost for such cheap prices.

Doesnt look to be. Looks straight forward. I havent done them yet, just sayin by looking at it

I bought my toe links from Max in August 2011 for $168 plus shipping. Make sure you order the nuts as well, I had to cut the old links off.

With the proper tools, its a 30 minute job per side. if you dont feel like cutting, you can torch the nylon portion of the lock nut to ease getting it off.

I bought my toe links from Max in August 2011 for $168 plus shipping. Make sure you order the nuts as well, I had to cut the old links off.

Even if you can screw the old nuts off, you still have to replace them with new ones. They are one time use only. If you reuse them, they will loosen over time.

Just ordered a rear end kit off of ebay. Ford part numbers supposedly, rear end links and rear adjustment toe links or whatever they are called for $175 after shipping. Supposedly includes the nuts too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back