Rear Toe Link / Tie Rod / Lateral Bar, options other then ford?

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally found the high-speed vibration in my car. Turns out the stabilizer bar links in the rear have play, and the tie rods as well. fun fun.

The stabilizer bar links are easy enough to get, but are there any options besides factory ford parts for the rear tie rods? Fordparts lists them for around $120 and I just cant bring myself to pay that without looking around first.

Checked rockauto and nothing to be had there. Same with Napa and the other local part slingers. Only thing they list are the stab links.

Anyone had any luck finding them short of a junkyard/used one?

Anything else I should consider replacing for the fun of it while I'm in there? I'm probably going to try and find a polyurethane sway bar bushing while I'm at it. that way I won't have to mess with the bar for a while.

And it just keeps getting better. Looks like they might be on a national back order. Yay! Dealer is doing a search to see if she can find any, but they are $150/ea dealer price.

I'm having the same issue.

fastpartsnetwork has them listed for 87 I think.

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/

My boots are all torn, and the joints are starting to make lovely metal-on-metal noises.

I've already got Moog swaybar links coming from RockAuto. Got two for less then the OEM price of 1, and it's an engineering upgrade :)

Whole problem is the rear: toe link aka lateral bar aka trailing arm aka tie rod. It's the non control arm that bolts to the knuckle! Sorry, I've had to explain WTF it was a dozen times or so to various parts dealers. Seems some are hording a few and others are on national back order. So who knows.

After examining the sway bar mounting, I'm going to leave the bushing alone. Looks like I'd need to drop the subframe to get at it. Save that for when I do the 8.8" conversion.

I did not find an aftermarket for the rear control arm links. Found some at a junk yard for about 20.00 for the pair though.

Good Luck!

Some idiot on Craigslist tried to sell me his of an 02 for 50/ea. I almost peed myself laughing.

Why would I pay 50/ea for 9 year old WEAR items?!?!

I offered him 50 for the pair if they are in good condition, but I doubt he'll reply to my email.

I ended up buying both sides from fastpartsnetwork for $200 shipped. I'm happy at that price. Got the Moog sway bar links from rockauto for $80 shipped. the parts alone were around $500 from the dealer. Now if I install them myself I'm just out an alignment (which isn't negotiable).

I think they are $97, and Tasca has them for $77.
I do not know why everyone goes to Fast Parts Network instead of Tasca. :confused:

Because you took the slow boat to reply to this thread and I wanted to get parts coming ASAP. Totally your fault :)

On a more interesting note, I haven't seen the charge come through from fastpartsnetwork yet, so maybe that will work out in my favor.

Probably because they are going to email you and tell you they are backordered :)

Just kidding, I hope they or Tasca have them because I need to order some by friday!

I looked at those too, kind of expensive. Mine are still fine, no noises, but the boots are worn.

It's interesting that yours are already that much worn. I have the original ones and I am at over 200ks.

Weird.

Pretty bad design if they wear so quick. Bad in 40K-miles? Guess I'll add that to the list of thing to reinvent on this car :)

I looked at those too, kind of expensive. Mine are still fine, no noises, but the boots are worn.

It's interesting that yours are already that much worn. I have the original ones and I am at over 200ks.

Weird.

I'm sure my driving style doesn't help. I'm not the easiest on a car. But by the same token, I do quite a bit of preventative maintenance. If I can help it, it's replaced before it truly breaks. Even with them having some play in it, you only feel it up around 75-80 mph. Anything under 70 and the car is just smooth.

Because you took the slow boat to reply to this thread and I wanted to get parts coming ASAP. Totally your fault :)

On a more interesting note, I haven't seen the charge come through from fastpartsnetwork yet, so maybe that will work out in my favor.

lol, I try and post Tasca whenever questions like this come up and it seems like everyone still continues on with Maxx of Fast Parts...even though they are more expensive.

As for the charge, they cannot post it until the product ships so there will be a bit of a delay between ordering and seeing it on your card.

Ok so I also have the same vibration problem at higher speeds in the rear and called Tasca and they could not get me a new set of these. He said he had over 50 dealers across the US that he could get ahold of some from, but I asked him to check around and verify that they will give up a set to him. Guess what... He couldn't get a single dealer to let go of theirs. They said they either didn't have any or they were already "sold" So my question was did you actually get the new parts in your hands yet, or are you still waiting? I really need a new set asap but they are on backorder from Ford.

I ended up pulling one at a junkyard.

I ordered two from the dealer, and I guess they will call me when the get in. Who know how long that will be.

Ok gotcha. Did that get rid of your vibration? I get mine at around 75mph... I would think that only the adjustable toe links could actually effect the vibration and not so much the sway bar links...?

Ok so I also have the same vibration problem at higher speeds in the rear and called Tasca and they could not get me a new set of these. He said he had over 50 dealers across the US that he could get ahold of some from, but I asked him to check around and verify that they will give up a set to him. Guess what... He couldn't get a single dealer to let go of theirs. They said they either didn't have any or they were already "sold" So my question was did you actually get the new parts in your hands yet, or are you still waiting? I really need a new set asap but they are on backorder from Ford.

I got an EMail on Thursday 6/23 from Tasca that my parts have shipped. I do not have them in hand yet. It did take them a week and a half to find them though. The local Lincoln dealer down here that I'm slowing starting to hate said they could get them but they were $150/ea. The Ford dealer I started going to down the road said they had some in a warehouse I could get for around the same price.

But yeah, I did quite a bit of calling and half think they can get them, and the other half says they are back-order. I do not have them in hand yet. The new Moog swaybar links are just rolling around in the trunk at the moment. I was going to throw them in over the weekend but my old mans house got flooded and I had client work so I just decided to wait for the toe links.

For the longest time I thought the D/S was out of balance. Be very curious to see what happens after I put these parts in. Be nice to drive 100 while evading the police and waving to the news choppers without that annoying vibration :)

If you are seriously hard-up for these things, I can give you the dealers numbers, you buy them and I'll ship 'em to ya. Granted, that Stealership price is going to hurt.

Well I might try again with Tasca and see if maybe they can actually locate a set. So you have not installed them yet? And LMAO about running from the cops! I just want to make sure thats the only things that could be causing the vibration. I wonder if that's destroying my tires? I have already had it on an alignment rack and it's not out on the toe...

Well I might try again with Tasca and see if maybe they can actually locate a set. So you have not installed them yet? And LMAO about running from the cops! I just want to make sure thats the only things that could be causing the vibration. I wonder if that's destroying my tires? I have already had it on an alignment rack and it's not out on the toe...

Haven't even gotten the parts yet. The email was thursday, so realistically it was probably Friday when it went out. I should get it in the next few days and installed over the weekend. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Ok awesome. Sounds good man. Let me know.

Maybe I'll order those Eibachs and have them installed while I'm at it. Seems like a perfectly good waste of an alignment without it.

I should be installing the used arm tonight while I hang the driver's side Magnaflow muffler (if it actually gets delivered today)For some reason Amazon shipped one muffler last week and one muffler this week - kinda odd.

I should be installing the used arm tonight while I hang the driver's side Magnaflow muffler (if it actually gets delivered today)For some reason Amazon shipped one muffler last week and one muffler this week - kinda odd.

That's why I don't like ordering from Amazon. It reminds me of being like one big flea market. I usually have better luck on E-Bay.

Members online

Back