put it back together now car wont start

Uh..... the flexplate can still spin when the trans is in park.

Everyone take a breath. Imagine the car is running.... flexplate spinning..... thats connected to the TC with bolts so the TC is spinning too...... cars in park..... not rocket science.....

You could just go buy a can of magic white smoke and put it back in the starter. :)

i took the starter off and it worked fine so i loosened all the bellhousing bolts a little bit allowing me to spin the crank. once all the tc/flexplate nuts were tightened i put the starter back on and tightened all the bellhousing bolts again. now it turns over slower than normal and makes a god awful grinding noise. i noticed that the tc nuts are rubbing on that shield that i cut in half and bent during the disassembly. i think there are small metal shavings from inside there. could the shield really be causing the starter to spin too slow to start the car?

looking at it some more i'm pretty sure thgat the torque converter bolts are too long. i think they are sticking out past the bell housing. this would explain my problem.if i cut them flush with the nuts and it should work right?

Sounds like the TC isn't seated all the way.....

Seek professional help before you start cutting things.

Did they grow when you took them out ? Why would they now be longer? How bout just take it back apart...and put it back together properly...or
take it somewhere that knows how

i got a higher stall converter from blue oval chips. a "mechanic" friend of mine put the tc in the tranny. and another said that it seamed good to him. if it isnt seated right have i already screwed it up? i've turned it over quite a few times. i dont see what it not being seated all the way would have to do with the bolts sticking through the flexblate too far.

If you don't understand why a TC not being seated all the way inside the trans isn't a good thing, then there's no help for you

If you don't understand why a TC not being seated all the way inside the trans isn't a good thing, then there's no help for you

try this....remove the inspection plate from the bottom of the trans bell housing...bolt tansmission up fully, check starter bolts and give the motor a turn

i'm sorry i usually dont say stuff like this but lately there have been some really stupid people joining here. first you said you installed the T.C, now its a mechanic friend, and someone else said it seated good, wtf make up your mind. why are you trying such an involved repair on your car if you dont know your ass from your elbow? you cut and pryed out the starter bolts, now you want to cut off the torque convertor studs, omfg donate your car to charity and buy a bike from walmart. you are an accident waiting to happen.

Didn't you notice that the torque converter bolts were hitting the bellhousing when you installed them? Sounds like the converter isnt installed correctly.... get some pictures up here ASAP.

i got a higher stall converter from blue oval chips. a "mechanic" friend of mine put the tc in the tranny. and another said that it seamed good to him. if it isnt seated right have i already screwed it up? i've turned it over quite a few times. i dont see what it not being seated all the way would have to do with the bolts sticking through the flexblate too far.

Congrats you've damaged your transmission pump. Remove the trans from the car, drop it off to a reputable trans shop for pump replacement, have them inspect the tc hub for damage while your there, your tc wasn't seated and has damaged the trans pump that your "grinding" noise.

i didnt cut the starter bolts. the starter bolts snapped off and were drilled out at a machine shop as favor to me. i understand why the tc not being seated will damage the transmission. what i dont understand is why it would make the bolts stick through the flexplate farther than they should. the torque converter bolts were too long and were catching on the shield/engine on the north side of the flexplate. i cut them flush with the nuts after i bolted it to the flexplate and tightened them up. now when i turn the engine over it doesnt make that noise. it does however turn over very slowly. seeing how the starter smoked badly the other day, that could very well be the problem. i am taking the starter off and getting it tested at advanced auto to rule out if that is my problem or not. that would be alot cheaper of a fix than a tranny pump and tc.

any more hating in need of rebuttal-ing that i missed?

Yes you stupid fock! Here is some more rebuttal you ignorant chit.

The TC bolt was rubbing on the NORTH side or the housing? Thats cause the TC is in there at a very slight angle because its not seated down all the way!!! Ask me how I know this, go ahead, ASK!

Fortunately I was smart enough to verify and check before I went tightening down bolts to make sure it was all free moving.

Cut the TC bolts!!??!?!!? OMFG....... screw it, I am done here.

*drops mic*

Try this,
remove starter, remove all spark plugs..(removing spark plugs takes away compression)
Roll engine by hand at the crank
there should be no binding, no noises

here's how a trans install should go

1) seat TC completely in the bell housing by rolling clockwise and pushing it in, untill it won't go in any more, align tc studs in flex plate and slide trans on the guides

2) bolt trans to block

3) install nuts on tc via the hole where the flex plate goes on bottom of trans, tighten to 20ft lbs

roll motor to check

4) install starter
5) install spark plugs

TC's don't have bolts, they have studs.

You ruined your starter because the engine was locked up.

It was locked up because the TC isn't seated all the way.

BOC has been selling converters for quite a while (I have one in my car), and I seriously doubt that the studs were too long.

Listen to what you're being told and take the tranny off and reseat the converter.

thankyou for the suggestions and explanations. i see the bigger picyure now. i will try all of the suggestions when i find some free time.

i do apologize to anyone who was offended by my last post. honestly it was in a joking manor. i didnt mean anything by it.

thanks again

Members online

No members online now.
Back