Ported gen1 intakes......Please read.

94m5

Dmaup's Daddy
Reaction score
Hey guys...... I just got done porting, and gasket matching my intake and IMRC's. I bought ALOT of stuff to do the work, and have alot of materials left do get more done. What I want to know is.....How many of you would be interested in doing a ported intake swap program?

I have a couple of intakes sitting on a shelf that I could work over, and ship to you guys on a core swap basis. I would be doing this for profit, so I would become a contributing member. I am seriously considering opening a shop here in Illinois, that would cater to the modular engine platform, but would be available for anything else.

I have "abit" of porting experience under my belt, and would like to use it for something good. 4-valve heads are my thing, but I've done LT1's, LT4's, and have a set of LS1's done right now.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Your gonna be the biggest influence as to the price, I want to make it affordable for the guys that want it, but can't afford it. But I don't want to be cutting myself short. Give me some ideas about what you think you would be able/want to pay for a fully gasket matched intake, and we'll go from there.

Mike

ME!

Do you have any pics of one of the intakes you have completed ?

I am definently looking for a ported/polished intake, with perhaps shorter runners.

Where at in Illinois are you located? I'm in the Southwest side of Chicago.
About 10 minutes from downtown.

StraDog said:
ME!

I am definently looking for a ported/polished intake, with perhaps shorter runners.

Central Illinois, 45 miles west of Springfield. I had'nt thought about shortening the runners. But I could look in to it. I have pictures, but will have to get the camers from Katie (the woman) to get them uploaded. I'll try to get that tomorrow.

Mike

I've just finished one for a guy here on the forum and sent him a bunch of pics.If he feels like it he'll post up some pics, if not then you wont know till he passes you on the drag strip. LOL

I've done a few of these now and depending on what he decides I'm either getting it ceramic coated or powder coated for him before I ship it back to him.

Bye the way, you know who, YOU HAVE MAIL.

StraDog said:
ME!

John, let me know when your ready.If you want I'll e mail you some pics.

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me. Only thing is I can't donate my intake because I drive my car every day. I have no idea how much this costs so I'll leave it to the other guys...

What gains do people usually get from this mod?

I think hes talking about a core exchange, you know he sends you the intake and charges you 100 extra bucks then when your done installing you send back your old intake thus you getting your 100 back

Thanks Chris! Can't keep a secret around here. LOL!

You can pick up intakes on the cheap for cores. I have 2 in the trunk of the '91 LSC(garage is full - lol!).

WARNING... this gets addicting... :wrench

mini-Driller 008.jpg

mini-Driller 013.jpg

mini-Driller 015.jpg

Hey guys.......After talking with some people, and doing some comparing....I was thinking ~200 for the work with a 100 dollar core. Of course you would get the 100 back.

Does this sound about right?

as far as gains......I hav'nt swapped the intake out yet, so I'm gonna be taking the 94 over to the dyno to get some baseline runs. After the swap, I'll take it over and get some numbers with the ported job on.

As much material as I took out of these, i'm hoping for 20-30 HP. This sound about right?

I have heard 20 - 25 hp gains when installing the Cobra intake manifold ported. As far as the stock intake manifold ported, I'm not positive, but I would definently be pleased with an extra 20 HP for roughly $250 - 300.

I can't wait til I get done with these gears and get one of these intakes installed.

StraDog said:
but I would definently be pleased with an extra 20 HP for roughly $250 - 300.

That's probably going to be more than a port and polish for a 20HP gain. Most likely a simple P&P will yield 15HP. Easily should see 10HP plus. A gain of 10HP would yield over 1 MPH in the quarter and a tenth off the ET. Most likely less than $25 per HP, hard to beat. :wrench

driller said:
Most likely less than $25 per HP, hard to beat. :wrench
I agree. Too bad I have a Gen II. :mad:

94m5 said:
If I could get ahold of a gen2 intake I would love to see what I could do with it. Anyone have one sitting around?
I do, I was gonna put it up on e-bay in afew weeks

Mike, save your time with the 2nd gen intakes. Porting alone is not worth it. The actual plenum and runner design is the problem. It is very easy to swap a cobra intake on a 2nd gen. It has been done numerous times with great results. Since you only need the upper and lower manifold, the cost is very low.

ModPWR said:
Mike, save your time with the 2nd gen intakes. Porting alone is not worth it. The actual plenum and runner design is the problem. It is very easy to swap a cobra intake on a 2nd gen. It has been done numerous times with great results. Since you only need the upper and lower manifold, the cost is very low.
Thanks Jeremi........Iv'e never had the oppertunity to look one over, so I have no Idea. I'm still working on the logistics for the swap program, once I get something figured out, I'll let you guys know. Expect some dyno runs very soon.

Oh yea......the numbers will be slightly higher on my peticular Mark due to the 5 speed. I would imagine that as long as you have the baseline run, and a run Immediatly after, they would be the same? right?

Allright.......update.

1st dyno pull is set up for this saturday. I have the intake done, but not the IMRC's I fried most of my good rotary files and am waiting for goodson to get me the replacments. Saturday night~Sunday morning I'll have the 1st pull #'s for you.

Mike.

I hope you have a way to alter the A/F
If not, dont be surprised if there isnt a whole lot of gain. On Joes car it only picked up a few HP but his A/F went WAY rich.So if he was able to lean it out there would have been way better results.
I still for the life of me cannot figure out why it went rich but it did.
Make sure you pay the extra money and have the A/F logged.

94m5 said:
Hey guys...... I just got done porting, and gasket matching my intake and IMRC's. I bought ALOT of stuff to do the work, and have alot of materials left do get more done. What I want to know is.....How many of you would be interested in doing a ported intake swap program?

I have a couple of intakes sitting on a shelf that I could work over, and ship to you guys on a core swap basis. I would be doing this for profit, so I would become a contributing member. I am seriously considering opening a shop here in Illinois, that would cater to the modular engine platform, but would be available for anything else.

I have "abit" of porting experience under my belt, and would like to use it for something good. 4-valve heads are my thing, but I've done LT1's, LT4's, and have a set of LS1's done right now.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Your gonna be the biggest influence as to the price, I want to make it affordable for the guys that want it, but can't afford it. But I don't want to be cutting myself short. Give me some ideas about what you think you would be able/want to pay for a fully gasket matched intake, and we'll go from there.

Mike

IS THIS A GEN-1 THING ONLY??????

94m5 said:
Allright.......update.

1st dyno pull is set up for this saturday. I have the intake done, but not the IMRC's I fried most of my good rotary files and am waiting for goodson to get me the replacments. Saturday night~Sunday morning I'll have the 1st pull #'s for you.

Mike.
so how did you do?

K*A*B said:
so how did you do?

Damn man, I forgot to update......After I posted this, The dyno shop said they had to change appointment days. I will be there at 9:00 wednesday morning. I'm sorry to leave you guys in the dark.

Mike

94m5 said:
I'm sorry to leave you guys in the dark.

Mike
Don't let it happen again . . . :joke . I'm curious to see the results as well. Good luck.

1wykdmk8 said:
YUP....unless you go with a Cobra intake......now don't you wish you had a better/faster Gen 1? :N

I had a '95, I'll just go with the Cobra Intake...

:C

I am definitely interested, but I'm in the same boat that this is my only car at this time. I think the prices are great. Maybe someone can come up with a way to fix the air flow problem, and we can make this thing work!

Members online

No members online now.
Back