Please help. I am stumped

markviii96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Ok so here is the long story. About a month ago i bought a 1996 mark viii for $150 and yes $150 is correct. The air ride was shot, but body was almost perfect with 177,000 miles on it. So far I converted it to coils, replaced headlights, went to HID's, and ordered the IAC and TPS (haven't changed them yet). It was low on coolant when we got it, so I filled that back up and have put like 3-400 miles on it. Today I went out to leave for work and my low coolant message came up. I haven't noticed any leaks and my oil is clean and my coolant is nice and green. I can't figure out where that coolant went to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I am unsure what you mean by that. I filled it through the reservoir. Just took cap off and filled up to the cold line

Is it overheating? You have to fill the cooling system through the crossover tube. Leave the cap off and start the engine. Let it run until there are no more bubbles coming out through the tube opening. Last time I did mine, I parked it with the nose facing uphill. Seems to work better that way. As for where the coolant is going? Haven't a clue. Maybe a pinhole leak in the radiator?

Is it overheating? You have to fill the cooling system through the crossover tube. Leave the cap off and start the engine. Let it run until there are no more bubbles coming out through the tube opening. Last time I did mine, I parked it with the nose facing uphill. Seems to work better that way.

Thanks, Thaywood!
I've heard the term "burping the cooling system" several times, but was never sure on how exactly to do that. :D

You have to fill the cooling system through the crossover tube. Leave the cap off and start the engine. Let it run until there are no more bubbles coming out through the tube opening. Last time I did mine, I parked it with the nose facing uphill. Seems to work better that way.

Thanks. I will try and see if that helps.

Thanks. I will try and see if that helps.

I believe it will help because you haven't filled it properly yet and the coolant could be taking the place of the air bubble that is inside the system. If you got it out on the HWY at 75 mph for about 10 min, I bet it would show to be a lot warmer than it normally would if there was no air in the system.

Might want to check your passengers side floorboard, under the mat (if it has any) and see if you feel any wetness.

I would check the crossover tube first to burp the air out of the system. If you can't get it loose from that stupid little 1/4" square hole, just use a pair of vice-grips around the cap (I had to do that with mine).

If you fill it properly, coolant is still disappearing and you don''t see it leaking out anywhere, check the exhaust when it's running. If it blows a bit white or has a lot of vapor (rev it up a couple of times, see if the exhaust tip end drips), coolant may be getting into the cylinder from a bad head gasket.

went through the same :q:q:q:q when i got my 98. go through your burping process when thats over you may have a small head gasket leak into your exhaust.i used thermagasket and it lasted a year and a half of hard driving before it went, then rebuild it.
http://www.rxauto.com/
you may not see any smoke coming from tailpipes,i didn't it was just a little leak.temp was fine, too. if you do see smoke you have your answer

Possibly an issue with my 98 as well. Extremely slow loss of coolant. No visible leaks on driveway. No smoke from exhaust, but just a wicked slow loss. Not enough to bother me, just enough to know its there.

Don't blown head gaskets normally cause your oil or coolant to look milky? Mine looks fine and my oil is at the perfect line and smells and looks like oil.

Don't blown head gaskets normally cause your oil or coolant to look milky? Mine looks fine and my oil is at the perfect line and smells and looks like oil.

All depends on where they crack/break. The break could be any numbers of places:

1) Between cylinders, but misses water and oil passages. Bleeds cylinder pressure between the two cylinders, idles with a popping sound. Oil & Water is fine.

2) Between water passage and cylinder. You lose water into the cylinder, sometimes cylinder pressure will get in the water system and cause other problems. Oil system fine.

3) Between water & oil. We all know that one, milky oil, oil may or may not be present in the water system.

4) Between oil and cylinder. Oil may escape into cylinder, but more often, cylinder pressure gets in the crankcase and causes weird problems. Lose oil, water is fine.

5) Any combination of the above...

Thanks for the info guys. Now I am a little scared that I may have a blown head gasket because I have a horrible idle. (haven't replaced that TPS, and IAC yet though). I read a few things online and was wondering your 2 cents on them... 1) the 4.6L used in our mark viii's rarely blow a head gasket, 2) they are a bitch to do and easier to replace motor, 3) when they go they will put on a huge smoke show.

Replace the TPS and IAC at the same time. Do the IAC while the TB is off and cover it up with a rag or something while you work at the IAC and it's little gasket. Changing those two parts most times will work miracles. Make sure the battery is unplugged just to prevent harm to the TPS when plugging it back in.

Possibly an issue with my 98 as well. Extremely slow loss of coolant. No visible leaks on driveway. No smoke from exhaust, but just a wicked slow loss. Not enough to bother me, just enough to know its there.

Go to O'reilly.s and use the Cooling System And Pressure Tester... it's free to rent, also get the cap adapter for the over flow tank.
Pressurize the system to 16lbs and watch it, it took a hour for my slow leak to show up.....lower radiator hose.
I believe most box stores have them free to rent, just make sure to get the adapter set so it will fit on the overflow tank.

Amazon.com: Stant 12270 30 Pound Cooling System And Pressure Cap Tester: Automotive

http://www.toolsource.com/radiator-...08I_4wK8CFQYZQgodQngCyg&sourceid=googleps

Thanks for the info guys. Now I am a little scared that I may have a blown head gasket because I have a horrible idle. (haven't replaced that TPS, and IAC yet though). I read a few things online and was wondering your 2 cents on them... 1) the 4.6L used in our mark viii's rarely blow a head gasket, 2) they are a bitch to do and easier to replace motor, 3) when they go they will put on a huge smoke show.

Any decent shop can check your coolant for Carbon monoxide, if found you have a head gasket issue.
Better to find that out early....not later.

Replace the TPS and IAC at the same time. Do the IAC while the TB is off and cover it up with a rag or something while you work at the IAC and it's little gasket. Changing those two parts most times will work miracles. Make sure the battery is unplugged just to prevent harm to the TPS when plugging it back in.
Ya, I plan to do this maybe this weekend. I got all the parts like you said in my other thread (all motorcraft), just have to finish up my grand prix exhaust work so the mark viii can go in the garage to do it.

Well looks like a cant burp the system. That stupid cap will not come over. I broke a socket off inside it(the nub), and vice grips will not grab it. She is rusted on there.

Thanks. It did work. Now I am a little confused on the burping the system. do I remove both caps or just the crossover one? and I add fluid in the crossover? Sorry for being a pain

Thanks. It did work. Now I am a little confused on the burping the system. do I remove both caps or just the crossover one? and I add fluid in the crossover? Sorry for being a pain

You add fluid in the tube, where you just removed the cap from. That is your highest point of water travel. Crank the car and let it get warmed up. You will see the water go up and down but when you don't see any water, then add until you do. Keep the AC off because the cooling fan will make an automatic mess when you pour and it may come on while you're pouring. Just keep doing that until you have nothing but pure coolant coming out of the hole. It will usually be spitting out. I have also heard of some people rocking their car back and forth, to make sure they get all air out. Another reason "thaywood" mentioned parking with the front end setting upward. You'll know when all air is out and you will have to clean the windshield when done.

Try to pour when the cooling fan kicks off if at all possible.

Members online

Back