Painted stock wheel

I think you should paint the center cap the same color as your car.

i was considering painting my whole winter wheels black but they are chrome, would it be to hard to get anything to stick to it or would i just have to scuff it up a bunch? I dont want it to start chipping off a week into winter. btw i really like both of those wheels. Great job

I wouldn't do it with wheels. Its more likely to scrape/chip off or be susceptible to heat issues than other chrome parts we paint.

Pete, that looks really good. Nice work! And yeah paint the center cap if you can.

i was considering painting my whole winter wheels black but they are chrome, would it be to hard to get anything to stick to it or would i just have to scuff it up a bunch? I dont want it to start chipping off a week into winter. btw i really like both of those wheels. Great job

I did just that to my stock wheels and thought it would chip off right away too. But after an entire winter in Minnesota they held up just fine.

Original wheels:
PB051977web.jpg

Spring time picture after a full winter:
P3163280web-1.jpg

Yea that does look like a police trim. Almost looks like an Impala...

Teaser pics:

I don't have my SLR with, so all you get are crappy cell phone camera pics :D

painted wheel 1.jpg

painted wheel 2.jpg

Pete, that looks really good. Nice work! And yeah paint the center cap if you can.

I did just that to my stock wheels and thought it would chip off right away too. But after an entire winter in Minnesota they held up just fine.

Original wheels:
PB051977web.jpg

Spring time picture after a full winter:
P3163280web-1.jpg

I thought those 16" wheels only came in polished? They almost look like polished, unless its just me.

I know they have been painted. Im talking about factory. I thought they only came in a polished finish!

I know they have been painted. Im talking about factory. I thought they only came in a polished finish!

Are you talking about my factory wheels? As far as i know they (the first picture shown) were a polished aluminum wheel. I sanded the hell out of them and primed painted and cleared them. And surprisingly they held up all winter without any chipping or cracking. We'll see how they hold up to a second winter.

Pete - that looks cool. I like it, for a snow tire/rim setup :D . Looks better than mine anyways :)

Are you talking about my factory wheels? As far as i know they (the first picture shown) were a polished aluminum wheel. I sanded the hell out of them and primed painted and cleared them. And surprisingly they held up all winter without any chipping or cracking. We'll see how they hold up to a second winter.

Pete - that looks cool. I like it, for a snow tire/rim setup :D . Looks better than mine anyways :)

Yes, thats what I was referring to. You made it sound as if you painted chrome wheels. Sorry.

What you did is fine, I would do it. But, what I was advising against was painting chrome wheels.

A couple pics. I still have not CC'ed the wheels. I'll do that when I do the center caps (if I even paint them. Still not sure). And yes I know BOTH headlights are fogged. I washed the car last night, and for some reason this time both fogged up. I know what I'll be doing tonight.

Anyways, here's a couple:

winter wheels.jpg

winter wheels 2.jpg

Awesome dude!

That is a black wheel look I can dig man!

Thanks, I'm satisfied with the look too.

Here's another one where you can see the wheels better:

IMG_8117.jpg

Wow... that actually looks great. I would almost go as far to say they look better than the ones you usually have on there. But it's close!

Thanks, John. Hell yeah, you can copy it!

Thanks!

Thanks, man. I kind of thought the same thing. If these were 18", I'd leave them on all the time.

Pete, I need to do something with my stock wheels. They are so depressing to look at because they are in rough shape. They are cracking and chipping by the center cap and the black should hide some of that.

You and Nic and possibly me will be black riders.

Yep :D Mine were starting to bubble around the cap too. I just had at it with wet/dry sandpaper til it was smooth. I believe I used 320 grit. I just bought a sample pack with grits from 220-800 IIRC.

Members online

Back