Painted stock wheel

pektel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What do you think? Only one coat of color right now. It needs 1 or 2 more, then I'm going to clearcoat them too. Wondering whether to leave the cap silver, or to paint that as well.

I like the small lip around the wheel left silver, to give it some separation from the tire.

These are going on the car shortly, then after we get snow, it's getting parked. You can see they have snow tires already, so I can still drive it on the random nice winter day.

Thoughts/comments/criticism welcome.

wheel.jpg

You do awesome quality work, Pek! No doubt about that! You took a factory wheel and made it look better too (IMO).

TRU

Oh, and 2 more things.

First, the color is charcoal black. I didn't want a true black, just one shade lighter.

Second, my whole reason for doing this: I wrecked the original finish on the wheels. I accidentally grabbed a chrome wheel cleaner, and didn't realize until I had sprayed all the wheels down. It etched the finish. So, here I am with my fix.

looks very good ,and yea the silver lip around it is a nice touch.

Thanks guys. It's a close copy to fonsito's stock wheels. At least, from what I can remember of them. Except IIRC his were black. I don't know about his center cap, and I'm pretty sure he said he has a "polished" lip on them.

Thanks! Yep, way darker than the LSE wheels.

hence why i gave you the credit in my post #5. love it. i may just paint the center cap. looks great like that. so did you somehow do a polished lip, or is it just the stock silver?

hence why i gave you the credit in my post #5. love it. i may just paint the center cap. looks great like that. so did you somehow do a polished lip, or is it just the stock silver?

My lip was polished and the rim was a gunmetal color but it always looked black :confused:

I think ive seen that some place else:

n502065098_2116118_6177.jpg

Looks super nice. I bought a spare set of stock rims identical to these and planned on painting them for the winter. How do you guys feel about doing them in black to match my car? Anyone has pics of a painted black rims on a black LS?

it looks great. Iirc, mholhut had matching stock wheels. Can.t remember if his was charcoal or black though.

I think you need to do something with that center cap. It doesn't look right in my opinion.

i would think the only way to get a true polished lip is to strip the finish from the entire wheel and start from scratch.

I think you need to do something with that center cap. It doesn't look right in my opinion.
after seeing fonsito's photograph, i have to agree. it will be painted too.

Thats nice Pete.

I also say paint that center cap.

I imagine in order to get that polished lip it would need to be taped off and wet sanded down then polished with a good metal polish and I would also clear coat it with a high heat clear coat.

I really, reeeeeeeeally wish the LS had wider factory wheels!

Oh and make sure you wet sand and polish it before the clear coat pretty good. You will have a 100% better turn out and way smoother look and feel to the touch!

I used 1000 then 2000 and some Ultimate compound before I put on the clear. Then after the clear I did the same thing.

i was considering painting my whole winter wheels black but they are chrome, would it be to hard to get anything to stick to it or would i just have to scuff it up a bunch? I dont want it to start chipping off a week into winter. btw i really like both of those wheels. Great job

Members online

No members online now.
Back