Painted stock wheel

Just mucking around with this myself ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

I had cleaned and scrubbed everything in the tub last night.
Scuffed up the billet and bowtie, etch primer'd those. Then got late and went to bed.

Have to scuff up the plastic chrome grille and also etch primer it.

Hopefully by end of day, the grille will be satin black, the grille billet inserts and bowtie a graphite gun metal, covered with clear. New headlamps and my new LED's installed.

Fun fun fun .... just cleaning up the front end of my 09 Chevyrado.

Just mucking around with this myself ...

View attachment 828502668

View attachment 828502669

I had cleaned and scrubbed everything in the tub last night.
Scuffed up the billet and bowtie, etch primer'd those. Then got late and went to bed.

Have to scuff up the plastic chrome grille and also etch primer it.

Hopefully by end of day, the grille will be satin black, the grille billet inserts and bowtie a graphite gun metal, covered with clear. New headlamps and my new LED's installed.

Fun fun fun .... just cleaning up the front end of my 09 Chevyrado.

That will look nice going with the dark paint

Thanks,
Chrome fronts on 'any' black truck bothers me to no end.
Just hit these with a few light coats. The billets I did outside then brought them in to dry.

3.jpg

Still have to clear these but I have to wait to peel the masking on the outside bowtie trim.

~ sorry this is not 'Painted stock wheel' related. Just talking paint with ya today. ;)

Thanks,
Just hit these with a few light coats. The billets I did outside then brought them in to dry.

View attachment 828504038

Still have to clear these but I have to wait to peel the masking on the outside bowtie trim.

~ sorry this is not 'Painted stock wheel' related. Just talking paint with ya today. ;)

Some chrome looks alright but I agree a black on black truck always looks like a straight beast

Thanks,

View attachment 828504038

Is that just straight black or does it have a shade of something lighter in it or it could be the lighting?

Hey @AmsterDutch

No the inserts were done in a Dark Shadow Gray (I'll just call that Gun Metal) +clear lacquer, and the grill itself was done in Black Satin (didn't want flat nor gloss). I used Dupli-Color rattle can paint and the Self Etching Primer for plastics was from PRO FORM.

Turned out pretty well despite a few stone chips that were too deep for the sanding and primer to hide.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can see (outside) the Black Satin reflects a bit in direct sun light. I'm sure it needs to cure a bit longer, hasn't been near 48hrs just yet and I'm sure it will settle over time. Important part is to keep the bug off it for the next few days.

Overall I'm happy with it. Everything got three coats and clear on the inserts so it should last I hope.

Just gotta get it mounted back on and muck with the headlamps.

~ terribly sorry, this has nothing to do with 'painting wheels' nor LS related. Just talking prep and paint.

Hey @AmsterDutch

No the inserts were done in a Dark Shadow Gray (I'll just call that Gun Metal) +clear lacquer, and the grill itself was done in Black Satin (didn't want flat nor gloss). I used Dupli-Color rattle can paint and the Self Etching Primer for plastics was from PRO FORM.

Turned out pretty well despite a few stone chips that were too deep for the sanding and primer to hide.

View attachment 828538056

View attachment 828538057

View attachment 828538058

You can see (outside) the Black Satin reflects a bit in direct sun light. I'm sure it needs to cure a bit longer, hasn't been near 48hrs just yet and I'm sure it will settle over time. Important part is to keep the bug off it for the next few days.

Overall I'm happy with it. Everything got three coats and clear on the inserts so it should last I hope.

Just gotta get it mounted back on and muck with the headlamps.

~ terribly sorry, this has nothing to do with 'painting wheels' nor LS related. Just talking prep and paint.

Wow!!!! That is professional grade! Very nice it turned out beautiful. I can only hope to have that kind of success. The gunmetal is what Makes it....I'm thinking after I get this crap paint off my rims I want to go black since the car is black and yes I wish I would've used Satin instead of gloss on my bumper... Also after reading the forum on what's the difference between the Sport and Base Satan LS I come to the conclusion I bought a sport because the original bumper I just replaced was all black non-chrome and the new one I just put on has the chrome so now I have a 2001 Lincoln LS sport with a base bumper pretty disappointed about that but I seen in the quik LS super charged picture he had a chrome bumper on his also so that makes me feel a little better since he seems to still be everyone's hero lol anyway it looks good man I appreciate the pics and helpful pointers

Wow!!!! That is professional grade! Very nice it turned out beautiful ...

Thanks man, yeah I'm very happy with it also. The new Euro headlamps and 40W 8000LM 6000K LED's are amazing. Lights up the whole night. Can see Racoons in the trees at night. Same as my DD work truck now. Amazing brightness.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Best of luck on the wheel painting. They will look good like that, or you could murder then right out and go all black on them. Either or, just take your time and prep them well. BTW, you won't need to use Etching Primer on the wheels, I only used it due to the plastics.

Let me see some pics when you get it all done.

IMG_1958.JPG
Thanks man, yeah I'm very happy with it also. The new Euro headlamps and 40W 8000LM 6000K LED's are amazing. Lights up the whole night. Can see Racoons in the trees at night. Same as my DD work truck now. Amazing brightness.

View attachment 828551934

View attachment 828551935

Best of luck on the wheel painting. They will look good like that, or you could murder then right out and go all black on them. Either or, just take your time and prep them well. BTW, you won't need to use Etching Primer on the wheels, I only used it due to the plastics.

Started my rims here's a before picture sanding the paint like you told me to do

Yeah not fun but you pretty much have to get all that old paint off that was coming loose. No sense painting over top of it.

Primer will blister if it sits on a not-clean enough surface. It will certainly highlight it.

Lot of work.

Yeah not fun but you pretty much have to get all that old paint off that was coming loose. No sense painting over top of it.

Primer will blister if it sits on a not-clean enough surface. It will certainly highlight it.

Lot of work.
I hate sanding but you're 100% right with everything you said ....yes it's meticulous work and it sucks but the pay off in the end will be worth it...by the way did you restore those round center Lincoln caps? And if so how did you do it? The Lincoln symbol looks slimmer than I usually see it...They look amazing, I need your knowledge once again. As you can see mine need a lot of help

I never painted any stock 5 spoke wheels with those emblems.

Thanks Bro, I'm happy with it also, was on my to do list for a while. Appreciate the kudos.

Looks good for sure. My 04 LSE is also all black with black wheels.

20151208_161757-png.png

Truly love that look, although black cars are a bitch to keep clean. I have to still send out my rims for repair, I bought the 04 LSE with those wheels and one was curb-rashed. I want them to check all rims for straightness, fix one, chemical dip them all and repaint.

Looks good for sure. My 04 LSE is also all black with black wheels.

View attachment 828566135

Truly love that look, although black cars are a bitch to keep clean. I have to still send out my rims for repair, I bought the 04 LSE with those wheels and one was curb-rashed. I want them to check all rims for straightness, fix one, chemical dip them all and repaint.
That car is what I'm trying for ...Really Nice car Rigs! That's exactly what I'm shooting for except it will have to be the Gen 1 version... I wish I new more about chemical dipping

yeah, all black looks great. By chemical dip I meant, for them to dip all wheels into some sort of solution to get them right down to bare metal as to get them right clean before repair and paint. Just something I read on a local wheel repair shops' website as service they offer.

I'll have to drop them wheels off soon. The 04 is currently sitting on the 01's 5 spoke stockers.

I agree black is the hardest color to keep clean But I truly believe the Lincoln LS looks best in BLACK I think the only other color I would want on my LS would be pearl white but if I had to choose between the two I would definitely choose black all day long .....by the way how many cars do you have damn lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back