Official Plasti-Dip Thread

Cheap, lazy ... argument ... I'm just not a big fan of the Plastidip, seen to many close up results where it doesn't impress me too much.

That's not to say, that it won't work for you.

There are as many fail videos as there are good review youTube vids.

... and I should shut up now, considering I have zero experience with the product personally myself other then having reviewed it online and based my own decision solely on that.

Good luck.

Sorry Rig, but you are quite wrong in this case. I've used Dip a fair amount, and I can tell you that, if applied correctly and given at least 2-3 coats this product is as durable as paint, if not more. Can't speak for vinyl.

I've taken my nails to it, dropped dipped wheels on their faces among other things, without making a dent on the dip. Unless you have an edge, you'll take a very tough time trying to take it off. And even if you have a lifted edge, it takes quite a bit of force to peel it off.

Try it. Only $5.99 a can. You may be surprised.

I was thinking of blackening my stock LS wheels so it may be worth a try but I would never do a whole car with that stuff.

Sorry Rig, but you are quite wrong in this case. I've used Dip a fair amount, and I can tell you that, if applied correctly and given at least 2-3 coats this product is as durable as paint, if not more. Can't speak for vinyl.

I've taken my nails to it, dropped dipped wheels on their faces among other things, without making a dent on the dip. Unless you have an edge, you'll take a very tough time trying to take it off. And even if you have a lifted edge, it takes quite a bit of force to peel it off.

Try it. Only $5.99 a can. You may be surprised.

$20/can up here, or $15/can off eBay (I buy mine off eBay).

This is the 2nd time I dipped my winter wheels. My first attempt lasted the entire winter with only a tiny amount of peeling around some spoke edges (due to washing technique and thin application - user error). The T-Bird wheels have 21 spokes so they are tough to paint evenly in between each and every spoke.

My second time painting them (pic is top of this page), I did a much better job, plus added glossifier. Zero peeling and epic durability in winter, and it's been very cold for a few weeks. I am even debating doing my summer wheels as the blacked-out look is starting to grow on me :cool:

When I get a new car, I will definitely dip it for winter to preserve the condition of the paint. Maybe not the whole thing though..

Do we all realize that vinyl wrapping was critizised just as much when it was first catching on? I also think glossifier would possibly make a good bra on the car and on the mirrors. Here is a shot that shows protection of the paint after a fender bender.

485352_462258330507084_669426043_n.jpg

I dipped my lower grille in August, it's now white with salt in the middle of winter and no signs of peeling. For a $7 non permanent paint, I think it's amazing stuff.

You guys inspired me to dip my mirrors today...

In between games of Black Ops 2 lol

2013-02-18_19-04-55_583_zps40ecd316.gif

You guys inspired me to dip my mirrors today...

In between games of Black Ops 2 lol

2013-02-18_19-04-55_583_zps40ecd316.gif

your LS is just a mix match of everthing isn't it!!! (so many colors!!!).. If your unsatified with the texture, try reapplying a little heavier...

and chrome and silver ... all good though... I think you wheels would look good black with your paint

Nice Mlara! Any shots in the light? I'm wondering if the finish came out like mine. Are you happy with it?

if you buy it off dipyourcar.com its like 8 dollars a can or you can buy a wheel kit like i did which has 4 cans for like 35. only needed like 2 or 3 for the wheels but also did the grill.
was gonna pull it off the grill today but its not lookin like its gonna wunna come off. the plastic grill might have not been the best idea to paint. looks tight tho

Nice Mlara! Any shots in the light? I'm wondering if the finish came out like mine. Are you happy with it?
Thanks man, i think they look better than they did before since they were all scratched up. Ill try to get some pics. If you're wondering about the texture, very little this time around. I've found that warming up the dip(hot water) helps out a lot with texture. Warm dip comes out in a finer mist than cold, which often looks like drops when applied. Guess thats why the DYC guys in Florida get such great results.

if you buy it off dipyourcar.com its like 8 dollars a can or you can buy a wheel kit like i did which has 4 cans for like 35. only needed like 2 or 3 for the wheels but also did the grill.
was gonna pull it off the grill today but its not lookin like its gonna wunna come off. the plastic grill might have not been the best idea to paint. looks tight tho
Your cheapest option (for US residents at least) for black dip is getting them locally from Home depot. $6 a can. Other colors and metalizers and pearlizers thats a different story. Very few other places offer them, and DYC last i checked still had the best prices for those.

About the grille, you need to create an edge so you can begin lifting it off. It should come off any surface with enough patience. I've had dip on a couple of grilles and have not had major trouble pulling it off. Try rubbing with a micro fiber cloth. Now if you mean its breaking up into small pieces when you try to pull it off, then you didnt put down enough coats.

Cop look (winter mode) FTW. The looks I get are funny at times.

But I much prefer Plasti-Dip w/ Glossifier. Easier to clean and looks better.

DSC_3446_s.jpg

DSC_3616_s.jpg

Members online

Back