Official Plasti-Dip Thread

sunday funday

Regular stock gen II Grille
IMG_0961_zpsf36030e5.jpg

4 layers of 75% opacity(nice and light) on both lower grille and surround
IMG_0964_zps975348a2.jpg

Peeling my first try off the surround... make sure to use multiple light steady coats. Don't get impatient and try to spot spray. Learned the hard way, plastidip comes off yes... but you need small fingers to get all the nooks.
IMG_0963_zps10ae173d.jpg

For solid lines: Take the tape off while the final layer is still wet. This technique worked wonders for me but there is a spot where the line isn't as clean because the dip had dried.

Plasti-dip comes off very easily when applied in heavy wet coats.

Regular stock gen II Grille
IMG_0961_zpsf36030e5.jpg

4 layers of 75% opacity(nice and light) on both lower grille and surround
IMG_0964_zps975348a2.jpg

Peeling my first try off the surround... make sure to use multiple light steady coats. Don't get impatient and try to spot spray. Learned the hard way, plastidip comes off yes... but you need small fingers to get all the nooks.
IMG_0963_zps10ae173d.jpg

For solid lines: Take the tape off while the final layer is still wet. This technique worked wonders for me but there is a spot where the line isn't as clean because the dip had dried.

That looks pretty damn cool..

Has anyone plasti dipped this style LS rim? I'm thinking about doing mine but I'm not sure if it'll look good.. I'm also thinking about doing my upper and lower grille, rather than buying the chrome one.

LSRIM.jpg

MyLS.jpg

Messing around with dip today...

Turns out when you do silver metalizer over white dip you get a nice sparkly pearl color. I think if i had done a couple more coats of metalizer it could have matched a bit better:
CC917006-4191-4EA4-9B77-F9EC679367B7-24144-0000092C6754D4F2.jpg

I know the car is filthy, its been cold here for the past few weeks...and by no means do i plan on riding with the skirt like that. Dont need any lip :cool:

I will eventually have it painted. I was just messing around today, had some free time.

P.S. loving the look of the Gen I LSE skirt, if only the rear valence could be made to work as well...

still debating doing mine... just hate the idea of peeling it all off if i didn't like it / not liking it

I'm waiting to see someone do an entire LS!

I am planning on "dipping" my whole car towards the end of summer. I first need to do some rust repair in the third week of March and then wait several months for that paint and clear to cure enough to cover. I will be putting on a LSE front bumper, rear bumper cut outs and also dipping the black plastic running board. I played around with some white on my drivers front fender which I also did the running board on.

IMG_20130118_191404.jpg

IMG_20130118_191749.jpg

plastidip on the LS?

StarTrekFacePalm.gif

not tryin to hate, but honestly, why cant you guys just use flat black paint that wont peel off, crack, or melt in the heat.. why oh whyy. lol
i understand you wanna have the option to peel it right off anytime, and not really having to sand and prep.. but seriously. lol

Vinyl wrap = Rich man's application
Plastidip = Trailer park application

Vinyl wrap = Rich man's application
Plastidip = Trailer park application

I dont know how you'd come to that conclusion...

A plastidip setup done correctly is the exact same price as a wrap. I'll have well over $1k in mine if/when I do it this spring... (for reasons other than just changing color)

I've been following this product for awhile now... The technology and advancements they've made in the product is amazing... (Its no longer 2 dozen shaker cans)... between these advancements and the glossifier they've introduced, its far from a "trailer park" application.

G, soon as someone/something rubs up against it, it's done and needs "attention".
IMO, it's the cheap version of doing it right with a Vinyl wrap

Also from what I read, it also gets sticky in the hot sun.

... and regardless of the many videos out there about it not coming off with a power sprayer, it will when you find that first peel.

I've seen, and talked with (im member of a dip forum) that can testify..that again, if done correctly, will withstand anything a wrap would... and if any damage is done, far easier to fix with a dipped car then wrapped.. Again "cheap" is untrue... If your trying to knock the process, "lazy" would fit better if im understanding your argument.... I am not speaking from experience yet, so thats as far as i can go... but plenty of video's and people to talk to that negate your points...

I assure you I've done a bit of research on this over the last SEVERAL months. Im not quick to through over a grand at anything (despite what my wife says) I wasn't confident in...

Time will tell though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back