Official Plasti-Dip Thread

mlara1129

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So a few of you have started to experiment with this stuff and have had good results. I have to say I love the stuff, especially now with some of the new products that Plasti dip has recently come out with. The applications are endless!

I only have a couple of examples now, but i'm getting plenty of ideas from here:
http://www.dipyourcar.com/
*Check out their galleries, whole cars have been successfully dipped, to get that matte wrapped looked!

***Use this thread for anything related to plasti-dip ( i.e. results, pics, questions, etc).

My work so far:
before:
972201e3.jpg

after: dipped lower and upper grille, looks good over all, i just did a bad taping job.
DSC01980.jpg

4dcffc2e.jpg

And the best part about it; you can rip it right off if you dont like it ;) Good luck guys, post pics!

My contribution: Dipped' T-Bird wheels.

DSC_2294.JPG

DSC_2373_s.jpg

how many cans did it take to do your wheels? wouldnt mind doing the ones on my truck.

edit: they dont ship to canada =/

I used about 2.5 cans: 1 light 50% opacity coat, and 2 heavy coats per wheel. Mind you, I didn't paint the barrels at all, everything was taped off apart from the spokes. I would go with 3 cans just in case. I bought mine at HomeHardware, for $20/can.

how many cans did it take to do your wheels? wouldnt mind doing the ones on my truck.

edit: they dont ship to canada =/

you can get them, the black at least, from many places. Check ebay and your local home depot. Actually most people get it from home depot probably cheaper from there.

It took me 2 cans to spray my stock 5 stars. Also fast M4rk said it was $20 a can in Canada.

I'm waiting to see someone do an entire LS!

Mlara, is it just me or is your white grill sorround not color matched to your car? Love the eyes. I will probably do my lower grill soon.

I'm waiting to see someone do an entire LS!
I'm strongly considering it...this spring maybe. I don't know how much it costs to vinyl wrap an LS, but from I've read you can plasti dip a whole car with about $200 worth of dip.

Mlara, is it just me or is your white grill sorround not color matched to your car? Love the eyes. I will probably do my lower grill soon.

it does look a bit off

Yea its not a perfect match. Its a stock chrome one that i painted myself following the LSKoncepts instructions, but it came out a bit too dark. I also never polished it, so it never got that shine it needed. I've been meaning to re-do it, just hasn't bothered me enough to get on it.

I'm strongly considering it...this spring maybe. I don't know how much it costs to vinyl wrap an LS, but from I've read you can plasti dip a whole car with about $200 worth of dip.

Yea its not a perfect match. Its a stock chrome one that i painted myself following the LSKoncepts instructions, but it came out a bit too dark. I also never polished it, so it never got that shine it needed. I've been meaning to re-do it, just hasn't bothered me enough to get on it.

that would look sweet, and I need to redo my grille its a chrome one I painted and it cracked so i need a new one

I had no idea about the glossifiers. That gold looks pretty good with the black flake in it. I may give it a try on my RR's.

The Gun-metal came out really nice.

I might just have to my foose wheels...

You think this stuff will hold up to an automatic wash or strictly hand wash only?

And my Dad tested the red on my Moms dishwasher lol, it turned out pretty damn good.

According to dipyourcar.com it will not hold up to a power washer. They suggest you hand wash it. Not sure what that means for the less powerful car washes though...

I wonder how it would hold up with 5-6 layers and then the Glossifier. Thinking about doing this to the lower grille of my 02 LS v6.

But with these winters in WI I'm not hand washing all winter.

You think this stuff will hold up to an automatic wash or strictly hand wash only?

And my Dad tested the red on my Moms dishwasher lol, it turned out pretty damn good.

According to dipyourcar.com it will not hold up to a power washer. They suggest you hand wash it. Not sure what that means for the less powerful car washes though...

I wonder how it would hold up with 5-6 layers and then the Glossifier. Thinking about doing this to the lower grille of my 02 LS v6.

But with these winters in WI I'm not hand washing all winter.
It says that on the FAQs, but idk when that was last updated. Look:
Powerwasher on PlastiDip? - YouTube

mlara next time your in jersey youdown to help me do my window trim ?
of course dude, ill let you know.

Thank you for the video I must of missed them. I think i will be doing this as soon as the weather warms up.

My wheels have 3 coats and they've help up to the power wand at the car wash fine. I would assume with clear and glossifer on them they'd be even stronger.

PLEASE DO!!! If you do i'll send you a free can of the gold metalizer, just pay shipping...

Did you do a set of wheels in gold and have extra???

I will PM you if I decide to go for it.

Does anyone know how the plasti dip will stand up to someone mounting/balancing a wheel after it's been dipped?

Members online

No members online now.
Back