Nitrous to Turbo...Out with the old and in with the new...

This sounds cool, where would it be located at in the engine bay? Im kinda interested in doing
this my self.

ILLS;311762 Seeing a V6 turbo LS all depends on who is willing to spend a little money and part with their LS for a little while during the install. Honestly I have not put allot of thought into turboing the 6'er in the LS but it should be pretty straightforward. You all do have stock forged connecting rods IIRC so you have that going for you.[/QUOTE said:
How much is "a little money" ?

And a forged crank, IIRC.

Last edited:
How much is "a little money" ?

And a forged crank, IIRC.

All depends on what the person wants not only power wise, but also accessories too (aka manual boost controller, elec boost controller, BOV, tuning, so on). Just run of the mill turbo system for street vehicle or something more serious that will need more in depth fuel mods? If you are really curious just PM me and I can clarify for you in there.

So did you allready hook up a turbo to your car or what? I take it by another post in this thread you have. I wanna see some pics:D

I did read post # 22, but post #11 came first. Just figgured it was actualy done by now..hmmm

I did read post # 22, but post #11 came first. Just figgured it was actualy done by now..hmmm

Those races that I mentioned in that post were referring to running the LS on 100 wetshot of nitrous not the turbo.

O, thanks for clearing that up. So are you saying you will no longer run nitrous at all with the turbo kit?

O, thanks for clearing that up. So are you saying you will no longer run nitrous at all with the turbo kit?

Nope. I will be selling the entire nitrous system, possibly as in kit for for someone else who wants to run nitrous on their LS. I love the nitrous and it has done me well, but the STS turbo will allow me to further unleash the potential of this vehicle.

Running dual power adders on a stock engine, let alone one with 10.75:1 cr, is asking for trouble. The turbo will be able to supply more than enough power. If I want to push the envelope then I can always run meth injection when on higher boost for the track.

"Speaking of sleepers I hear there is this one fella with a Gen 1 LS that might try hitting high 13's while naturally aspirated with some "special" 4.10 gears and a LSD."

Has someone come up with an lsd for the LS???????
This would be good news, if true...

"Speaking of sleepers I hear there is this one fella with a Gen 1 LS that might try hitting high 13's while naturally aspirated with some "special" 4.10 gears and a LSD."

Has someone come up with an lsd for the LS???????
This would be good news, if true...

It is in the development stage right now, and I am not talking about Quik either.

im going 4.30 gears most likely (thats what we put in newer mustangs and they work really well) but mines a manual tranny. gonna stuff a new diff in the rear. you can buy an sts universal turbo kit on thier website. main problems are going to be extending the mass air because its a blow through setup. extend the fuel delivery(boost a pump, injectors). the kits are exspensive, i have an old school rayjay turbo that we recently got all new pieces for. once my car has seen some road time the way it is now(and is finally tuned) and we get the rearend done, and hopefully i can get rid of one of my other cars we can start with fabbing on my turbo kit. shooting for about 6-8 psi right now i finally got my emissions done but we havent started tuning. the tune it had sucked and threw tons of codes. my ported heads outflowed the stocks by almost 30%. im gonna try tuning it without the intake runner control also and see what happens if anything. the tuning will be done on the street so it will be a bit before i post any numbers

once i put this thing back together ......... holy crap:eek:

turbo.jpg

hey ILLS where you located? do you have a shop or something?

Lake Villa, IL. Yes I do have a shop (KBX Performance); and speaking of STS in your earlier post I am an STS Powerdealer among other things.

The fuel delivery is already taken care of. I installed a Ford GT (supercar, not Mustang GT) fuel pump in the LS a month or so ago and will be using Cobra 39 lb/hr injectors so fuel will not be a problem. I will be retaining the stock slot-in MAF and stay blow through in a similar location to stock. There will be some key changes to the tube that it will be mounted in of course.

Man those 4.30's are not a good gear for a turbo car. Stay with something numerically lower so as to increase load and allot the turbo to spool sooner and not fall on its face in the upper gears. If you were staying N/A or going with a supercharger then going to a 4.30 (assuming traction) would be fine.

So, This really isnt a kit at all and this really is something that could have been done a while ago?:confused:

damn i could have just bought one of those pumps on stlmustangs. i wasnt really thinking about the gear with the turbo so you probably have a point there, but i have a v6 5speed. my gearing is a little different im pretty sure isnt it. i know they couldnt give me good dyno figures because they couldnt tune the car in 5th gear which is my only 1:1 gear, i also have 19 inch wheels. soon to have custom made bogarts though(bigs and skinnies)

So, This really isnt a kit at all and this really is something that could have been done a while ago?:confused:

No one ever said it was a kit made for the LS. The Universal Stage 1 kit from STS is just a "base kit" so to speak that just provides the major necessary components to fabricate your own turbo system. I think people just got a little ahead of themselves there.

Assuming the person has the proper skills to be able to fabricate metal and has a knack for working on cars, and either can tune themselves or have a skilled tuner close on hand then yes it could have been done a while ago. The problem is that most people are either incapable, unwilling, or afraid to do a project like this due to various reasons.

damn i could have just bought one of those pumps on stlmustangs. i wasnt really thinking about the gear with the turbo so you probably have a point there, but i have a v6 5speed. my gearing is a little different im pretty sure isnt it. i know they couldnt give me good dyno figures because they couldnt tune the car in 5th gear which is my only 1:1 gear, i also have 19 inch wheels. soon to have custom made bogarts though(bigs and skinnies)

Even with a M5 tranny you will still want a numerically lower gear in the rear to load the engine properly. It is pretty much general rule of thumb for all turbo vehicles to not go with too high a gear.

This is suddenly less intriguing, you can turbo any car for Christ sake there are Turbo Civics in the Vally. 1 hatch Back, 1 SI coupe, and one beat up 4 door and those POS's are just a few examples along with the riced out Hyundai Accents and Plymouth Sundances.

I think you had intentions on getting some of us ahead of our selfs, universal turbo kits are not any NEW news for any car.

But besides all that it would be nice to see some one do it and how it was done.

Not to long after you posted this I had Talked to a local shop called PSI. They tune everything and put Turbos on anything. They say this would be pretty simple for them, just as simple as almost any cars that dont have a factory Turbo option, be it a kit or not.

This is suddenly less intriguing, you can turbo any car for Christ sake there are Turbo Civics in the Vally. 1 hatch Back, 1 SI coupe, and one beat up 4 door and those POS's are just a few examples along with the riced out Hyundai Accents and Plymouth Sundances.

you act surprised at the fact that people are dropping turbos on civics/integras. there is a huge import scene here in houston and there is a huge amount of the small imports w/ turbos running sub 12 sec 1/4s. not any new news, like you said. budget and patience, is the main key to doing a custom turbo setup, which is why alot of people havent done it on the ls (including me).

this will be a tough way to figure out how much it would cost the average lowly ls owner to turbo his/her ls because the person doing this setup is a mechanic/shop owner. im interested in the monetary/time aspect of this setup and it seems like we wont get an accurate consumer standpoint from this thread. doesnt change the fact that im not interested and anxious to see it done. hurry up and finish/post pics/vids/times... -pwr2killayak

How so?
I don't care where I am at, what car it is, and more importantly if I have seen it done before, I still get surprised and still get excited when I see a car with a turbo that does not have any turbo options from the factory especially if I KNOW it wasn't done with a bolt on kit made for that car.

Trust me I wanna see it done and I will give the guy hell a props when he posts it if I'm around, but the fact of it needing to be fabbed is where the disappointment stands. Fabrication takes skill and I give the guy that but I thought it would be a kit which would be good news for the LS and its aftermarket support that we as owners lack and complain about.

I haven't been here long at all but you can read other posts where people felt the same way with the whole SC idea.

agreed. it sucks it has to be fabbed. what im dissapointed in is the fact i (an average consumer w/o ase cert. or a mechanic shop) wont be able to truly tell how much, how long, or how much patience im going to have to exert if i so choose to drop a turbo on the ls8.

regardless, hurry up and finish.

Members online

No members online now.
Back