My LS' Progress

Well I gave the wheels a try, but without success. I couldn't stretch the vinyl enough to get all the way in between the spokes. I might have to try Plasti-Dip, if only it was warmer.

car looks real good but you just have to get rid of those mud guards....I know you live up in The Great White North but still

They're on during the winter season only.

Plasti Dip works fairly well in the cold weather. i painted mine when it was about 35 degrees here.

Thanks for the confirmation jo. How many cans did you use total? I read one can can cover two wheels.

I snatched the last two this morning from Home Hardware. $20/ea + tax.. :eek:
I won't be spraying a huge surface area so maybe it'll suffice. Worst scenario, I'll have one side black and the other silver.

DSC_2277.JPG

I used roughly 2 cans to paint all 4 of mine. Any reason why it's $20 a can in Canada and only $6 here? That's crazy.

I read that it was marked as a hazardous material or something, some years ago. It also used to be sold more widely back then. I suppose that since the change, it became more expensive to import, hence the steep price, as well as limited availability.

I saw an ontario plate here the other day...if he can drive into the states so can you!

One wheel done so far. It's definitely "different" to apply..

DSC_2294.JPG

What makes it "different" ?? I'm thinking of plastidipping my wheels to protect them during the winter and to see what my car looks like with black rims.

It has to be applied rather heavy, else removal might be difficult. It also dries very fast. It's different from conventional spray paint.

If I decide to keep the look, I'll re-do it in the spring, with clear coat to top it off.

It has to be applied rather heavy, else removal might be difficult. It also dries very fast. It's different from conventional spray paint.

If I decide to keep the look, I'll re-do it in the spring, with clear coat to top it off.

I did this to my spare the other day and I have to agree with you. It def needs to be applied heavy. Its a great product. I like it. Will def look into what other uses it can have. Im thinking maybe the lower grille on my LSE bumper and the top grille as well to match. What do you think Mark?

Pic:
c465ef37.jpg

Well, one half is done and mounted. We also got a bit of snow last night, so I finally tested my new winter tires on the way to the grocery store. They're superb! Finally found the perfect winter tire for my needs :D

I pixelated some of the extreme filth that covers the sides of my LS for viewing pleasure. These tires kick up a ton of salty chit.

DSC_2295.JPG

DSC_2301.JPG

DSC_2302.jpg

What do you think Mark?

Looks good Marla. Did you mask anything off at all?

I think it would work great for those with light colored LSs, who wish to paint the lower grilles black, on non-LSE bumpers. Give the grilles a try, you can always peel it off.

Looks good Mlara. Did you mask anything off at all?

Nope, no masking at all. You can peel off the over spray lol I think i want to go back with an exacto knife or something and see if i can peel off that little lip that the stock 5 spokes have.

You're wheels look good! I'm not sure i would have left the center caps like that tho lol. I think the centers are too big to be left unpainted.

Plasti-dip is great for a lot of different cosmetic changes.Not doing the center caps was a good idea,it looks rugged....good job!

Thanks fellas!

I decided to Plasti-Dip the license place screws :D. The silver was an eye sore.

Before and After
DSC_2304.jpg

Well, after months of relentless searching to source a nice looking woodgrain vinyl to wrap my interior trim with, I have finally given up. :( Locals sign shops couldn't help me out as it was going to be too expensive to order a small quantity of 3M's Di-Noc, or it just wasn't available to begin with. On top of that, my online searches yielded only a few common patterns, none of which I was 100% happy with.

So instead, I decided to use my remaining 970RA to wrap my stock Sport trim. I think it looks great in gloss black, especially with the original pattern showing through.

DSC_2327_s.jpg

More pictures to follow once I wrap the other two front pieces :)

Cant wait to see it. I have been wanting to cover up the wood trim in my car in black, but didnt want to spray it

This piece was a HUGE pita to wrap. Why couldn't FoMoCo make the headlight switches flush with the surrounding trim? As a result of me not having any 3M Primer 94, I had to wrap the inside bezel with separate pieces. At least I put my new Nikkor 55-200 VR lens to good use :D

DSC_2342_s.jpg

where did you get that wrap and how much?

I will not mention the retailer due to their poor customer service. My roll came damaged and with a small cut in one area, and they refused to do anything about it. I was able to work around the damage, but nevertheless, I was not happy.

If you search on eBay for "Oracal 970RA" you will find a couple of sellers. I suggest you call a few local sign/graphic shops as well. I am getting a bigger from a local shop roll for less than I would pay online. By the way, an alternative to the Oracal 970RA would be 3M 1080 Scotchprint. It costs around the same, and is just as good. Mind you, you won't achieve a pattern like mine unless your LS is a Sport model with the grey trim.

Members online

No members online now.
Back