My 2005 Lincoln LS 3.0 thread

Why are my pictures showing up twice on the thread? Lol

Yeah I know, has something to do with whenever an image is too large in size then makes it an attachment. Not sure, Joey will have to have a look at it.

Noticed the YouTube vid links are broken also.

Rome wasn't built in a day, give him some time, he'll have it fixed up soon, no doubt.

Patience ain't gonna help much in finding what is unobtanium. Better start scrounging boneyards now. And from what I understand... the factory HID's wire in differently in the main harness of the LS... than the standard headlights do. Joe could tell you better if they are convertible properly.

Gen II HIDs add a headlight relay from the factory, but members have reported success with not doing that and just plugging them in. There is a keying tab on the connector that needs to be filed off to get them to plug in.

Gen II HIDs add a headlight relay from the factory, but members have reported success with not doing that and just plugging them in. There is a keying tab on the connector that needs to be filed off to get them to plug in.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info Joe. Still doesn't explain why you gave me a hard time when I said the HID's haven't been available for a few years now. If nothing else... at least I know I might be able to "reverse convert" if necessary.

That's good to know! Thanks for the info Joe. Still doesn't explain why you gave me a hard time when I said the HID's haven't been available for a few years now. If nothing else... at least I know I might be able to "reverse convert" if necessary.

I was correcting your claim that the bulb couldn't be replaced. You seemed to be saying that the entire headlight assembly had to be replaced, which is simply not true. The bulbs are available.

??? The HID headlight on the LS do not have a replaceable bulb. The are a sealed unit,,, and when they fail you have to replace the whole headlight. ...

Surely, you can admit that this is incorrect.

Last edited:
I think im going to go with quality LEDs eventually. I like the way they look softer than a HID

For the headlights?
Good luck finding one that will fit in the gen II headlight assembly and still allow you to put the back cover back on to reseal the assembly. If you do, I would expect the LED to overheat without any air circulation. The LED replacements that I have seen count on the back of the bulb sticking out of the back of the headlight assembly. This is not the case for the gen II headlight assemblies.

Hmmm ... Joe, I run a set of Atshark 72W 6600LM 9005 & H11 LED's in my 2016 Peterbilt headlamps. I run mostly at night and wanted the white brighter lights. Both sets sit within their respective casing and the dust covers closes without touching the back of the LED's. Both are 72W per set, meaning each bulb runs at 36W. I've checked on them regularly only because I was experimenting with a couple of different brand names and I did not find them to run hot what so ever. No overheating that I could tell.

I'm pretty sure LED bulbs do not overheat in behind dust covers or enclosed casings.
Most have fans on the back of them, if they fit within the casing and clear the dust covers I think it should be alright. I had read in the past the 55W Halogens can begin to melt or deform plastics within the socket or bulb housing. Pretty sure LED's run much cooler and should not over heat even within a closed housing.

I had a set of Cree's that had the inline transformers on them and I was at one point concerned about anything heating up and deforming the head lamp (as it's company equipment) so I was checking on those at the time as well but they never ran hot nor warm. LED's tend to run cool is my experience.

Looking at the picture of those, I don't think they would fit in the LS gen II housing, but I could be wrong. There is a somewhat common misunderstanding on LEDs and heat. Did you know that a lot of 10W LED replacement bulbs will overheat in enclosed fixtures that normally have 60 W incandescent bulbs? The reason that the LEDs with just 10 Watts overheat where the incandescents with 60 watts don't is that the incandescent bulbs radiate most of their heat out of the fixture. LEDs radiate hardly any heat away, instead it has to be convected away, which requires some airflow.

Ok so why is it we don't see overheating and plastics melting when small LED's go into interior, plate and back up housings. I don't understand. Can't recall the Wattage on those at this moment. I'm not sure if those that I posted would fit in the LS headlamp housings either, I had only installed and played around with a couple of sets on both my Peterbilt and Silverado. The ones in the Silverado are a tight fit. They do within millimeters touch a metal front cross bar but it works. Those also have the fan on the back. I haven't seen any LED's heat up to the point of melting plastic housings but I'm somewhat limited in experiences with these bulbs. Clearly the fan on the back of these LED's is there for a very valid reason.

I've got a few plate, interior trunk and backup LED's on the LS'es ... the 03 has LED's all throughout the interior.
H11's and 9005 in some headlamps, one of which is enclosed and uses a round turn on dust cover. Lots of room inside, even enough for a non secured ballast with wiring wrapped around the back side of the plastic reflective lens. No heat, no melting of plastics. Was concerned about it but on much checking, I had come to the conclusion all is/was well and acceptable.

Because those are much, much lower power.
I've given my opinion based on the work that I do with them. You doubt it, which is certainly fair enough. (After all, I am not certain that it won't work, I just think that it is likely to be a problem.) Maybe it is time for you to try it. Perhaps it will work okay, or perhaps it won't. Either way, you could report back...

No, the backside mute fans on the higher wattage bulbs is there for a reason Joe, didn't disagree with that at all. Just stated that I had not seen any overheating on a similar situation. You are correct I could very well attempt to install LED's into the LS housing and let you know, however looks like MysticMac may post results before I can get to it.

The work you are involved with on these Light Emitting Diodes ... they run hot enough to require aluminum radiators? Just wondering the capacity of it.
Clearly the larger automotive headlamp lighting plug-n-play kits are provided with such including highspeed mute fans to draw away the heat you mention.

I'm not disagreeing with you just letting you know in a few applications I tried out, overheating was not the case.
LS headlamp housings were not part of this try-out. So as you say, we'll have to try and have a look for fitment and overheating issues.

...The work you are involved with on these Light Emitting Diodes ... they run hot enough to require aluminum radiators? ...

Some do, like the ones shown below, even though they are fairly low power (1/4 W). The back of the PCB is aluminum. I have recently designed some replacements to work with copper radiator (cheaper than aluminum).

IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG

I just grabbed a hold of near the backside on a 7.5 watt LED bulb in a spot light fixture, in our living room, and yes very warm. Not hot like an incandescent or a 1st GEN third brake lamp halogen bulb but warm to the touch indeed.

Agree to Agree, they do emit heat naturally, however the automotive headlamp LED's, higher in wattage are designed to withdraw such for both overheating prevention as well as longevity of the Diode and driver.

I only have a couple of spare 1st GEN headlamp housings. Would be worth the look to see if they'd fit but not comparable to the 2nd GEN housing.

For the headlights?
Good luck finding one that will fit in the gen II headlight assembly and still allow you to put the back cover back on to reseal the assembly. If you do, I would expect the LED to overheat without any air circulation. The LED replacements that I have seen count on the back of the bulb sticking out of the back of the headlight assembly. This is not the case for the gen II headlight assemblies.
I drilled vent holes on the back of my stock assembly because opt7 kit suggested I do so due to the heat that it creates. Not sure if the hole and notches I made will help compensate the size of the bulb but im suer it can work. These HIDs are huge I have in there and needed bigger srews to actually seat the cover back on.

Surely, you can admit that this is incorrect

Yes... I'm man enought to admit I am wrong,,, but according to the FORD website... it's not only the headlight assembly that is NLA. Seems the bulb/ballast assembly is ALSO NLA through Ford. So it seems thaty EBAY is the ONLY spource for HID bulb/ballast assemblies.

So maybe you and I are both half right. I'm still willing to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Pass him the Ketchup Joe, he gonna need it this time.

Even Amazon has the bulbs...
Google "2C5Z-13N021-BA" for the bulb from Ford, first results should have Amazon supplier with 10 in stock, or search Amazon for Philips D2R for aftermarket (might be OEM).
Amazon product ASIN B000NS69B8

Last edited:
Even Amazon has the bulbs...
Google "2C5Z-13N021-BA" for the bulb from Ford, first results should have Amazon supplier with 10 in stock, or search Amazon for Philips D2R for aftermarket (might be OEM).
What good is the bulb if the ballast dies???

Point of the ORIGINAL argument... was that you pretty much "called me on the carpet" for saying that the OEM HID assemblies, (be it full headlight or bulb/ballast assembly), were NLA!!! So NOW... if we are talling cheap aftermarket replacement parts... then I'll take the ketchup as Rigs said, (and mustard and onions, and mushrooms too). Eveyone can enjoy the "crow" with me!!!!!!!!!!!

I said nothing inaccurate... based off the Ford Parts website!!! If anyone wants to take their chances on a possible "faux" Ford part on Amazon,,, then best of luck to them!!! Didn't know that Ford sold OEM parts on Amazon!!! Didn't know any REAL OEM sold on Amazon. Doubt they actually do... or would EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pass the crow... we can ALL eat together,,, and pass the ketchup.

Never heard of a Ford OEM part coming from an Amazon store called "Parts Manager". Seems they sell much more than FORD OEM parts. Didn't know Ford sold popcorn poppers and document scanners plus more. Probable one of those CHINESE sites that sells stuff that will fail in six months.

Part Manager @ Amazon.com:

Come on in Rigs... the "crow" is pretty succulent at this point. Nice and juicy to share with LVC friends!!!! Maybe we could add horseradish and tobasco sauce too!!!

I'm not "Don-O"... or the "demon" J-Rand... but I'll call a bluff in Poker any day,,, when I know I have the cards in my favor!!! When I'm wrong,,, I'll admit I am wrong. At this point... I don't see it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back