Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

What about using a mini spool from a 8.8, to replace the spider gears?

Very very bad idea unless you are running a dragrace vehicle that gets trailored to the strip.

Mini-spool = Very dangerous and bad idea for street vehicle.

I was not sure how the mini spool worked. I didn't realize that it did not alllow for turning. I now see that it is for drag cars only. Still hoping that the GEN2 will be a go. Alos I know that other companys make different version of a Posi, Dana, Auburn, etc. Has anyone tried looking at the other not so known brands for fitment?

I was not sure how the mini spool worked. I didn't realize that it did not alllow for turning. I now see that it is for drag cars only. Still hoping that the GEN2 will be a go.

GEN2 is a go..... If you put the 3.58 GEN1 carrier and Axles in like Im doing :D

Once my GEN1 carrier is in the car and the GEN2 is taken out, ILLS and I will look for an upgrade route for the GEN2 carrier.

Guess I'll add that to the list as well.

Anybody know how hard it is to replace the clutches on the Ford 8.8 trac-lok factory unit? I know they used those in a lot of the rangers and I'm sure I could get my hands on a used one pretty easy.

Anybody know how hard it is to replace the clutches on the Ford 8.8 trac-lok factory unit? I know they used those in a lot of the rangers and I'm sure I could get my hands on a used one pretty easy.

I have a used 8.8 28 spline Trak -Lok for $100 with 10K miles on it if youre interested.

Rebuilding them is cake. Getting the S spring in is the hardest part...and that's not even hard. I had to do it a few times on my 87 LSC (once after grenading it at the track lol)

Just wanted to thank ILLS for his time. He is a BIG help to our community as we start to explore the performance options for the LS.

THANKS!!

Just wanted to thank ILLS for his time. He is a BIG help to our community as we start to explore the performance options for the LS.

THANKS!!

Thanks buddy. Nice talking to you on the phone today.

Take it back, it just sold on Ebay.

Oh well, my loss I guess. I probably wont do anything in the way of gears until spring anyway, so it would've just been one more car part taking up shelf space in my shed until then. :p Thanks for the offer though.

Looks like its time for a Torsen.... ;)

Oh yeah, I know what I'm calling all the local yards for on Monday.

I have a torsen type in my 'stang it made a major difference in how the GT launches off corners.
I can't wait to throw on under the LS.

But I do wonder, on a supercharged or turbo'd v8 LS, what is the next weak link in the drivetrain. I kind of suspect it is the drive shaft.

I'm also surprised that you think the torsen is too much for the LS. My last three mustangs all ate t-locks for breakfast (and the biggest and baddest of them all made all of 345hp.
The "nightmare" (my 88 lx with a 90 3.8l v6 sc swap) would eat clutches at a track day.
So I gave up on the ford T-lock diff a long time ago. I've put torsen types in my 90 lx, my 89 scorpio, my 96.04 gt and three of my friends cars. All have given flawless service.

Then again, I'd rather overbuild a diff and have it last longer than the car, rather then have to keep replacing clutch packs or spider gears.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I know what I'm calling all the local yards for on Monday.

I have a torsen type in my 'stang it made a major difference in how the GT launches off corners.
I can't wait to throw on under the LS.

But I do wonder, on a supercharged or turbo'd v8 LS, what is the next weak link in the drivetrain. I kind of suspect it is the drive shaft.

I'm also surprised that you think the torsen is too much for the LS. My last three mustangs all ate t-locks for breakfast (and the biggest and baddest of them all made all of 345hp.
The "nightmare" (my 88 lx with a 90 3.8l v6 sc swap) would eat clutches at a track day.
So I gave up on the ford T-lock diff a long time ago. I've put torsen types in my 90 lx, my 89 scorpio, my 96.04 gt and three of my friends cars. All have given flawless service.

Then again, I'd rather overbuild a diff and have it last longer than the car, rather then have to keep replacing clutch packs or spider gears.

I have had quite a bit of luck with the t-locks. I had one that performed flawlessly in a 4,500 lb SUV pushing 360rwhp and the same torque. Your Mustang's probably had the M5 transmissions and compared to the auto's in the LS they will allow allot more abuse on the drivetrain when launching. I would have been fine running a T-lock diff in the TurboLS but as fate has it, I found a Auburn HD in great shape for a real good price so that will be finding its way into my rear end in the early springtime.

Also, if you plan to autocross or take your LS on the track then the Torsen is the diff more designed for that application. If you plan to only go in a straight line like at the dragstrip then you may want to try an Auburn. One is not better than the other, they just have their different specialties.

JES - I'm using the Torsen T2.

I'm betting the trannie is the next weak link. We are getting over 400ft-lbs torque now - so depending where we hit as the converter drops off and lock up - we could be close to the edge.

As posted a few times there are now upgrades for the 5R55 - I'm hoping the N is a little less prone than the S is to the flare between shifts thats breaking some on them.

I have had quite a bit of luck with the t-locks. I had one that performed flawlessly in a 4,500 lb SUV pushing 360rwhp and the same torque. Your Mustang's probably had the M5 transmissions and compared to the auto's in the LS they will allow allot more abuse on the drivetrain when launching. I would have been fine running a T-lock diff in the TurboLS but as fate has it, I found a Auburn HD in great shape for a real good price so that will be finding its way into my rear end in the early springtime.

Also, if you plan to autocross or take your LS on the track then the Torsen is the diff more designed for that application. If you plan to only go in a straight line like at the dragstrip then you may want to try an Auburn. One is not better than the other, they just have their different specialties.

I was only questioning the value of the t-locks not the auburn. I think the auburns are a pretty solid diff, even if they are happier going straight.
I'm much more of a cornering guy so I'll probably do the torsen type in the LS.
right before I get off my ass and get moving on the manual trans swaps (yeah I said swaps, the wife's v6 first and then a certain 03 v8 sport will be getting my attentions).

I'm definitely a manual guy, I've owned four automatic transmission cars in my life and they all sucked. The first three were all worse than the LS sst, but it is no peach either.

The T-Lok I have now has carbon fiber clutches. They should last for a while.

I was only questioning the value of the t-locks not the auburn. I think the auburns are a pretty solid diff, even if they are happier going straight.
I'm much more of a cornering guy so I'll probably do the torsen type in the LS.
right before I get off my ass and get moving on the manual trans swaps (yeah I said swaps, the wife's v6 first and then a certain 03 v8 sport will be getting my attentions).

I'm definitely a manual guy, I've owned four automatic transmission cars in my life and they all sucked. The first three were all worse than the LS sst, but it is no peach either.

I knew that you were talking about the t-locks only. The Auburn's are in a completely different category in most people's opinions. No problem. ;)

I got a quote from a local guy to install the trac loc, he says he's got some for $45, and $85 to install IF I take it out and bring the whole unit to him, he'll do the internal stuff, and I put it back on, or $250 + $45 if I bring the car to him and have him do the whole job.

However, now all my friends are saying that I shouldn't do it because it's not worth it with the HP the car makes, or that with the added traction I'm going to damage my trans. I don't see how LSD can be bad, and I can't see it not helping ET just a little because of a better launch even with the low hp the ls makes, it still spins the tires on launch. Makes sense right?

Do his prices seem fair, and would you recommend that I (and a slightly more mechanically inclined person) remove it and bring it to him or should I have him do the whole job?

Clarification on the GEN2 cars:

I ordered a GEN2 carrier and had it sent directly to a local trans shop to have them install my POSI 8.8" diff I bought. When I went to the shop to check on the progress, I noticed it was a GEN1 carrier that was sent by mistake from the vendor.

The trans shop didnt know the difference so they went ahead and installed the 8.8 POSI diff into the GEN1 carrier and it fits perfectly. So now instead of going through trial and error of seeing if it will fit in a GEN2 carrier, Im just going to use the GEN1 carrier with the GEN1 axles on my 04.

Once I put the GEN1 carrier with the POSI into my 04 LS, I will take apart the GEN2 carrier to check the dimensions inside. From the outside the GEN2 carrier look narrower and according to Ford, the 00-02 and 03-06 use a different diff inside of the stock carriers.

Sorry for the confusion, but there still is no positive confirmation that the 8.8" will fit the 03-06 carriers.

I'll be very interested to know if the GEN2 /8.8 T-Lok setup works. I'd like to have the LSD, but really don't want to get into swapping everything. Thanks again for all the information. This is GOOD STUFF!
thumb_beer_cheers.gif

Andy

seems like a fair price.

I doubt you'll damage the trans; the mustang GT auto comes with basically the same trans, putting down 300HP.

Limited slip always has it's uses... especially in winter up here in michigan!!!

I have put over 450 horsepower through these new 5R transmissions in stock form. If they are tuned well via the PCM tune then they can withstand a pretty good amount of power. I plan to be putting about 450 total hp through the transmission in the LS here soon and am not uneasy about it. Running 300 hp with a LSD is not going to hurt your car in the slightest.

I will say that the LSD swap will not be worth it at all until you have ALL other bolt on mods with a SCT tune. In stock or near stock form you just don't have enough traction issues to warrant the swap just yet. For those that have full bolt-ons or especially if you plan to run nitrous then this is definitely the mod for you. When I have the 100wetshot of nitrous on the LS it had VERY bad traction issues even though I controlled the shot with a progressive controller.

I have not had problems with traction with the open differential at autocross with my summer 245-40-18 tires (general UHP, falken azenis, Michelin Pilot Sport 2).
So with a clutch LSD, not TORSEN, I won't LOSE traction at autocross, am I?

I'm just worried since you guys are saying that TORSEN is better for autocross.

You don't want a LOCKING diff for auto cross. When the diff is LOCKED it is the same as having a straight axle, both wheels will turn at the exact same speed which will decrease traction in turns.

The clutch style LSD shouldn't have any affect other than making the car more controllable if the back end decides it should be the one doing the steering.

Members online

No members online now.
Back