Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

Is it a good idea to buy a used 8.8 LSD on eBay?

They are starting at $50.

What should I look for on a used unit to get a decent one?

Heres how I look at it. Is it worth to not spend $200 and get a completely brand new unit? Is it worth to pull out the diff a second time because of a $50 diff off Ebay having worn out clutches or a problem not noticable until after the diff is installed and functioning?

I know my time and aggrivation is not worth saving $150 to risk going the cheap route and Im sure your time is valuable too.

Dont chance it, buy it new.

I agree just buy new. I have a few units in junk cars I have, why bother. By time I pull it, rebuild it, not worth it. You can rebuild a used one, but then the new one is only like $100 more.

Well guys, I'm not sure how far I'm going to get with this diff project.

I may just end up selling the entire carrier with the LSD in it. I also have the axles for the GEN2 swap for the 03+ guys.

The LS has been good to me but I think its time for me to move on. I wont be modding it anymore and will be putting it back to stock and trading it in for something with more power out of the box.

Let me know if you would be interested in purchasing the GEN1 carrier with the LSD in it. If I don't get any interest I will just trade the car in with the LSD in it.

I've got a friend coming into town this weekend with a used 28 spline Trac-loc from his 95 GT. I'll be taking it, and my carrier to DTS and seeing about a swap (if it can be done they'll be rebuilding the TL). BTW, I have an 03... so hopefully very soon we'll have an answer as to if the 8.8 diff will fit the Gen II.

Hey nate,

I know that you are the guinea pig on the fit for the 03+. But, it will be very interesting to see if it fits. That would be so great. Good luck!!!

I've got a friend coming into town this weekend with a used 28 spline Trac-loc from his 95 GT. I'll be taking it, and my carrier to DTS and seeing about a swap (if it can be done they'll be rebuilding the TL). BTW, I have an 03... so hopefully very soon we'll have an answer as to if the 8.8 diff will fit the Gen II.

Looking forward to your results, Nate. Thanks for the foray into uncharted waters.

Andy

Heres how I look at it. Is it worth to not spend $200 and get a completely brand new unit? Is it worth to pull out the diff a second time because of a $50 diff off Ebay having worn out clutches or a problem not noticable until after the diff is installed and functioning?

I know my time and aggrivation is not worth saving $150 to risk going the cheap route and Im sure your time is valuable too.

Dont chance it, buy it new.

I agree that buying one sight unseen from eBay may not be the best way to go, but I've no problem buying one from a reputable source and re-building it. In fact, I'd prefer it. Hard to say how much play might be in a new one slapped together by the OEM. Within tolerance, I'm sure, but never as tight as you can get it yourself, and without the added benefit of a modified stacking order, which I'd do, as well.

As for the extra $100 or so saved, I'll take it if you don't need it! ;)

Andy

I'll keep you guys updated as things move along! If this doens't work out, I'll have a used TL available for installation into a Gen I housing...

But hopefully it's new home will be at the back end of my driveshaft!!!

Do you think that an Auburn unit will fit in the Gen1 or Gen2 housing?

Any 8.8" 28 spline unit will fit the GEN1.

I am taking my GEN2 carrier apart tonight to see what will fit in there since its out of the car already.

I just got the Jegs catalog in the mail yesterday and was looking thru it and saw the Powertrax unit for the 8.8 Ford diff's. The discription says that it will fit in a non-locking 8.8 rear end. Maybe it will fit in our 8.0 rears?

I just got the Jegs catalog in the mail yesterday and was looking thru it and saw the Powertrax unit for the 8.8 Ford diff's. The discription says that it will fit in a non-locking 8.8 rear end. Maybe it will fit in our 8.0 rears?

Leo if you read further back in this thread the Powertrax option had already been discussed. If the LSD's for the 8.8" can also fit into the Gen2 8.0" carriers then that will be the best choice for most people. If not then the Powertrax might become a more viable avenue to explore.

I was looking at pictures of the 7.5 posi and the 8.8 posi next to each other, they seem simular. I was wondering if the 7.5 would work in the Gen2 housing better than the 8.8 posi ? I don't have actual access to them in person if anyone does, could you put up to each other and see the difference if any.

Hey 02, did you ever get that Gen2 diff apart to see the differnces between them?

Hey 02, did you ever get that Gen2 diff apart to see the differnces between them?

Yes, the gen2 diff is way different, the diff casing is offset a lot and the axle shaft would not slide all the way in if you swapped a standard 8.8" diff into it.

Oh well. Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be hunting down some Gen1 parts.

Yeah, I saw 02's post on that... I have a TLok in my garage right now, but since someone else already checked to see about it fitting and it doesn't, I'm just going to wait. My LS is getting up near 100k miles and will be replaced in a year or so with a low miles 05 or 06. I'll do a full 8.8 swap at that time

I do not believe these will work - you have to go back to some of the older threads - but the LS uses a unique pinion and it is offset more than the usual Ford 8". therefore none of the usual Ford 8" gearsets will work.

saved me $188...i got a question....

do i need to mess with that backlash and shims and preload and all that if all im doing is bolting the LS ring gear onto the 8.8 diff?

i plan on putting the diff in without removing the whole pumpkin. just taking the stock carrier out and putting the 8.8 in. is it possible? ive seen it done on 350z and mustang websites.

likely not. if you pull the open 8" carrier out, swap ring gears to the 8.8" LSD and then drop the LSD into the pumpkin - it 'should' be a drop in - but you will need to double check it. Preload sould not change since it's the same gear and you are not messing with the pinion.

It you buy new carrier bearings and press them onto the new LSD carrier (vs. pulling the stock ones off the open unit) then there is always a chance that you'll be just a 'touch' off and need to work the shims a bit.

nice nice nice. Why is this thread not a sticky!!!!!

ok i got another ?. do i need to take measurements if i just replace the clutch plates inside the diff? or is it just a swap in n out thing?

i bought a LSD TracLok (arrives one the 10th!) and the rebuild kit M-4700-B

The pinion depth and preload should already be set in the stock LS housing since you aren't disturbing that. Those are more of a PITA to set IMHO anyways. I always seemed to go through 500 crush sleeves before getting it all right.

If you want to do it right then just check the gear mesh on the ring gear. If that looks right then your backlash is probably right. Since the pinion depth is already set that is all you really have to check. Just pick up some gear marking compound (I like bright colors like yellow) and read up on setting the mesh pattern. You may or may not end up adding or subtracting shims doing this. If you have a dial indicator you trust then you might as well check the back-lash as well.

I'd probably start with the bearings that came with the new carrier first and see if they slight in and are snug. If you can get the carrier and shims in without tapping anything with a hammer then you need more shims LOL. You should however not need to break out the sledge to get it in.

On a side note, does anyone know if you have to swap the driveshaft in a gen2 if you do this swap? I know i'm looking at changing the center section and CV shafts but don't remember if the driveshaft was the same.

Members online

Back