Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

ILLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to finally get off my tail and do some measuring today to see what ways a LSD could be installed into the stock Lincoln LS differential carrier. There were two other viable options that Jason and I had thrown around.

1) Do a powertrax unit into the stock 8.0" diff case.

2) See if an 8.8" 28 spline differential would bolt into the LS 8.0" carrier while using the stock LS gears.

I know I had mentioned I planned to get to this and I finally did today. Tore the 8.8" down first. Took my measurements. Then it was time for the 8.0" LS diff teardown. Did that and took a few more detailed measurements. So far everything was a perfect match. Then I decided I had better unbolt the 8.0" ring gear and see how it measured up to the 8.8" ring gear bolt pattern. Same, 10 bolt pattern same OC measurement. I finished bolting the 8.0" LS ring gear onto the 8.8" differential and then bolted it all back into the LS carrier. Long story short... It was a dead match in every way.

I decided not to even measure for the Powertrax option as it will be the more expensive option of these two; though slightly more easy to install.

Now as some of you may know, we had already did the 8.8" full differential assembly swap in Jason's LS with a 8.8" LSD w/ 4.10 gears and a custom diff brace built by me. I wanted to discover if there was something a little more bolt in for those of you that just wanted an LSD but still stay with the 3.31 or 3.58 LS rear gears. This is it. So far I have only tested this on the Gen1 LS differential but have no reason to believe that it will not work with a Gen2 LS differential also. Once I do the differential swap in the springtime I will let you all know the official Gen2 results.

This will be a good mod for those of you planning to either to my turbo system, a roots supercharger like Quik or a nitrous system. No more one wheel wonders. :cool:

What would have been so hard for Ford to have done this right up front?
IllS, what do you think this cost to do...just the price of the 8.8 LSD?
Are LS axles 28 spline, or will it require new, or mod'd axles? Likewise, if the gear set is the same, there would be no need for a mod'd drive shaft(?)
Is the 8.8 you used out os a Mark VIII?, or?

Sorry for all the questions, but there you go...

Thanks,
Gary

What would have been so hard for Ford to have done this right up front?
IllS, what do you think this cost to do...just the price of the 8.8 LSD?
Are LS axles 28 spline, or will it require new, or mod'd axles? Likewise, if the gear set is the same, there would be no need for a mod'd drive shaft(?)
Is the 8.8 you used out os a Mark VIII?, or?

Sorry for all the questions, but there you go...

Thanks,
Gary

Gary the parts cost will only consist of a Limited slip differential of your choice and that is it. You reuse your stock CV shafts (axles), stock carrier, and stock ring & pinion gears as well as the shims (if they are in good condition). For a somewhat skilled home mechanic the swap will probably take no longer than 2 hours while screwing around.

The LS diff is 28 spline and the Mark VIII diff's are 28 spline. The 99-01 Cobra's use a 28 spline 8.8" diff too. Stock gearset will be reused unless you are want to swap up to the Gen 2 LS 3.58's. Stock driveshaft reused.

Does this mean more boost for you?

Nope, but it does equal more traction. If this didn't turn out to work then I would have just done the full 8.8" swap like what we did for Jason's Gen1. Either way TurboLS needs a LSD and drag radials bad.

This is great!!!! I'm so stoked now! SO correct me if I'm wrong... the only real difference is in the pinon? If I recall, the pinion was slightly different between the 8.0 and 8.8... meaning you can't swap to 8.8 R&P. Correct?

Are you doing anything to build the tranny up a little? I know a little while ago someone posted a kit out of a magazine for a build up on the LS tranny, but it was for a mustang.

This is great!!!! I'm so stoked now! SO correct me if I'm wrong... the only real difference is in the pinon? If I recall, the pinion was slightly different between the 8.0 and 8.8... meaning you can't swap to 8.8 R&P. Correct?

The 8.8" ring and pinion are both different from the LS 8.0" ring and pinion. The pinion gear sets .4 further outboard outboard on the 8.8" than the 8.0" which would lead to ring - pinion gear mesh issues if you tried to mix and match.The bolt patterns on the 8.8" ring and the 8.0" ring are the same but the teeth and outer diameter are different. You can use the 8.8" differential but will need to reuse the LS 3.31's or 3.58's with this setup. If you want to gear it then you will have to do a full swap like what we did with Jason's Gen1.

Are you doing anything to build the tranny up a little? I know a little while ago someone posted a kit out of a magazine for a build up on the LS tranny, but it was for a mustang.

The 5R55S transmission can handle a pretty decent amount of horsepower in stock form as long as the tune is tweaked a bit. I plan to leave the transmission stock, just keep the bands adjusted in it.

If I ever decided to go for real big power then I would have Level Ten rebuild it like they do for the Mustang 5R55S as well as the 5R55N and 5R55W transmissions too. Honestly I will probably leave the "big power" to someone else. I am just interested in getting the TurboLS to high or even mid 12's in the 1/4 mile and then that will be it. I have other bigger projects that need my attention more than the LS does.

Looks like its time for a Torsen.... ;)

Not going to bother with it. i consider the Torsen overkill until you are pushing 400+ at the tires. It is a nice diff but the price also reflects that. ;) I plan to go with a stocker Ford LSD unit. It did my truck well when it had the same amount of power as what the LS should have.

I'm so throwing a TLOK in it... or if I find an eaton for an outstanding deal...

Not going to bother with it. i consider the Torsen overkill until you are pushing 400+ at the tires. It is a nice diff but the price also reflects that. ;) I plan to go with a stocker Ford LSD unit. It did my truck well when it had the same amount of power as what the LS should have.

Just like a stock one with clutch packs?

This is FANTASTIC news! Thanks for doing the leg-work! :Beer

Will the LSD form any 8.8 work, or will it have to be out of an IRS Mustang? (Or maybe they're the same unit. Should have done some research myself.)

Thanks again. This is one mod that will be made on mine.

Andy

Just called my buddy who works on mustangs and he has a used torsen that he is going to sell me for $200.00. YEAH! Sure hope it works for gen 2 :)

just found a TLOK, my buddy replaced his 28 spline in his 95 GT with an eaton 31 spline... and has still has the TLOK

Will the side gears need to be milled for use in an IRS?

it will work for a GEN2, I put a 8.8 Trak-Loc in my diff this week. Will have it up and running in the car this Saturday.

Good news. I miss the trac-lok I had in my LSCs!! Especially in the snow!

This will definitely be done soon at my friend's shop.

:Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back