Lincoln LS Limited Slip Differential bolt-in...

Something else people. When I had my 8.8 unit built the shp I went to offered to get the LSD unit and Gears as they would likely beat Summit pricing as they obviously buy lots of volume. If you trust the shop not to scam you and use used this worked out well for me. I got my FRPP unit for $189 no shipping.

It looks like I might be getting my hands on a slightly used Auburn diff. For the price it is going for I do not think I will want to pass it up. No problem in going stronger than I originally intended if the price is good. ;)

Well the Auburn is on its way. $150 shipped not too shabby for a slightly used but great condition diff.

So what parts do I need to get 3.58 LSD into my LS?

Just look for a 8.0" inch LSD differential? Are there any exact specs I should look for?
What do I need to get "3.58 gear"?

8.8" LSD of your choice - there are several flavors
8" gear set from the LS

8.8" LSD of your choice - there are several flavors
8" gear set from the LS

So any 8.8" LSD, and 8" 3.58 gear SPECIFICALLY from LS?

Any other parts that should be replaced in the differential?
I don't wanna reuse them as something makes noise in the back that gets louder with speed.

I don't wanna reuse them as something makes noise in the back that gets louder with speed.

Yes, I would stick with the 3.58 gears from an LS or new gen Thunderbird. There are other Ford 8.0" gearset's out there but it has not been verified if those will work. I have never taken a close enough look at them yet.

As long as you get a good quality diff in good shape then you should be fine. If your stocker components were operating ok then they will afterwards too.

For those who would want to take the time to do a little maintenance to their rear differential case, carrier, and assembly such as installing new carrier bearings and pinion bearing then this would be the time to do it. With most of your cars it is probably not necessary just yet.

I suppose if someone had the initiative to get the ball rolling they could get someone to make a few gears to fit in the 8" carrier couldn't they?

I suppose if someone had the initiative to get the ball rolling they could get someone to make a few gears to fit in the 8" carrier couldn't they?

Manufacturing gears is a VERY high tolerance area. A small run would cost allot. The only thing that a job like this would have is that the G-code for the CNC machine would not be terribly hard to write because it will be allot of repetitious passes. Still there is the hardening process afterwards too.

I'm sorry, but did you read any of this post??? Everything you need/need to know is outlined already.

It is usually adviseable to install new bearings and seals when you tear down a diff...

:snip: For a somewhat skilled home mechanic the swap will probably take no longer than 2 hours while screwing around. :snip:

so one doesn't need presses and such to do the swap?

(me and my cousin did take the engine out and tranny to install new heads and torque converter in his T-Bird, and it runs. But he did send his differential to a shop to install TORSEN diff, and higher gear)

I'm sorry, but did you read any of this post??? Everything you need/need to know is outlined already.

It is usually adviseable to install new bearings and seals when you tear down a diff...

I did. And the info and details were scattered among multiple posts. I just wanted to make sure that I understood it correctly with all the details.

Thanks for your and everyone's help.

I did. And the info and details were scattered among multiple posts. I just wanted to make sure that I understood it correctly with all the details.

Thanks for your and everyone's help.

Well, looks like you got your info. If you've got over... say, 60-70k miles, it's never a BAD ideal to swap out your bearings and seals. If you've only got like 40k... usually just throwing away your money.

it will work for a GEN2, I put a 8.8 Trak-Loc in my diff this week. Will have it up and running in the car this Saturday.

Clarification on the GEN2 cars:

I ordered a GEN2 carrier and had it sent directly to a local trans shop to have them install my POSI 8.8" diff I bought. When I went to the shop to check on the progress, I noticed it was a GEN1 carrier that was sent by mistake from the vendor.

The trans shop didnt know the difference so they went ahead and installed the 8.8 POSI diff into the GEN1 carrier and it fits perfectly. So now instead of going through trial and error of seeing if it will fit in a GEN2 carrier, Im just going to use the GEN1 carrier with the GEN1 axles on my 04.

Once I put the GEN1 carrier with the POSI into my 04 LS, I will take apart the GEN2 carrier to check the dimensions inside. From the outside the GEN2 carrier look narrower and according to Ford, the 00-02 and 03-06 use a different diff inside of the stock carriers.

Sorry for the confusion, but there still is no positive confirmation that the 8.8" will fit the 03-06 carriers.

PISS!!!

Well, if you don't figure it out by end of march, I'll move forward with attempting it. (when my buddy will be back in town with the TLOK from his 95 GT).

This would make a good sticky... replacing one of the... how shall I say it... needless sticky's already there.

It is PISS!!

I am now having to put in a GEN1 3.58 complete carrier with driveshafts to make this work in my GEN2.

It is still a very cheap project regardless.

I will see what can fit in the GEN2 carrier once I have it out. I have one manufacturer that claims they have a LSD diff for the GEN2 but need to verify the size before spending $400 just to try it and getting stuck with a diff I cant use.

The Gen 2 diff has the centerline of the pinion considerable different than the Gen 1, I can't see them being the same inside but can't say for sure. Likely same gears but different guts.

In the springtime I plan to do this swap when it gets warmer out. I will try the 8.8" LSD into the Gen2 carrier first and then if that doesn't work I will move onto just doing the full 8.8" including the carrier in the rear of the LS.

Hey 02V8Sport are you still in Naperville? If so maybe you and I can meet up sometime soon and I can see what's what with your Gen2 diff setup beforehand. It seems like it would help a decent amount of people in here.

Hey 02V8Sport are you still in Naperville? If so maybe you and I can meet up sometime soon and I can see what's what with your Gen2 diff setup beforehand. It seems like it would help a decent amount of people in here.

Yes I am, I will let you know when I get all the GEN1 stuff in my car then we can both examine the Gen2 carrier for future reference.

What about using a mini spool from a 8.8, to replace the spider gears?

What about using a mini spool from a 8.8, to replace the spider gears?

Im sure that can be done, but then you stand the chance of eating your tires alive around turns and possibly breaking the CV axle joints.

Members online

No members online now.
Back