Lincoln LS 302

i was not thinking cash i was just asking if it would be possible and maybe easier labor with everything ?

Body parts would never fit. Well cant say never. $$$$ makes the world go round. Heck, if we all had enough, we'd all have a huge twin turbo, fully built, fire spitting demon under our hoods.

lol i understand about the money. i was thinking more along the lines of the suspension all the electrical and the engine and trans. has anyone every done that with any cars swap all the components into a shell of a different brand

It would be very costly, but doable. The extent of the wiring would be horrendous though. A full swap of EVERYTHING that's on a Jaguar STR including all electronics and suspension would run will way over 15k after all said and done. Money is what keeps most from attempting anything.

What if you stripped down the whole car so that is is just the body. Then take a 2011 mustang gt and strip it sown of all of its parts and put it on the ls. so basically have the body and look of an ls but the power and tried and tested parts of the mustang. i understand not all of the parts will just bolt on to the LS but i feel like you see my point. the biggest advantage is you could just use the entire wiring harness and pcm, and all the other electrical parts of the mustang. that way you do not have all the confusion. it might take a little more labor but if you find a totaled mustang it might be cheaper. just my thoughts

I think the biggest advantage would be the working instruments with the Mustang PCM.

In my opinion, and this is just my opinion, everything about the Lincoln LS is better than the Mustang except for the fact that the V8 never had a manual transmission behind it.

The suspension is light years ahead. Compare the IRS to the old Cobra's IRS. You don't get the wheel hop because the geometry is correct. Also, the front suspension uses the independent control arms versus the MacPherson strut arrangement.

The interior is much nicer aesthetically, and functionally -- minus the 1st Gen's center console. With only a 7 inch longer wheelbase than the SN 197, the Lincoln can easily accommodate four adults.

The exterior is much better looking, especially the 2nd Generations.

Really, the only thing tried and true about the Mustang is the fact that there is an aftermarket at all for it.

Of course, this is all my opinion...

Finally, the LS would make a good looking 4 door sports car with Mustang front and rear attributes...

Update

I started travel a week ago but before I left I completed a lot on the LS. Unfortunately, in my rush I could not take pictures.

The transmission is completely filled and mounted.
Clutch and brake pedal assembly is completed and lines are attached.
The driveshaft arrived and is mounted. I replaced the rear flange with a 4.25” Cobra flange and cut the nipple off of the 8”.
Transmission wiring is complete.
The oil pan is painted and the engine is sealed.
The engine wiring harness is in process. Four cylinders have to be swapped for fuel and fire. Also, the wiring needs some clean-up around the accessories. Believe it or not, the harness fit pretty well.
The timing chain cover is drilled and tapped for the front-mount dipstick tube.
Air-conditioning lines are extended to the proper location.
Auto transmission and hydraulic cooling fan lines are capped off.

So, what’s left??
Finish the wiring. ~ 4 hours of labor
Mount the coils. ~ 1 hour
Mount the Flywheel and clutch. ~ 30 minutes
Mount the engine. ~ 1 hour
Wire the cooling fan. ~ 2 hours
Fuel line. ~ 30 minutes
Throttle and cruise cables. ~ 30 minutes
Route and run all of the cooling lines. ~2 hours
Fill the oil and fluids. ~ 30 minutes
Prime and start the engine.
Charge the AC.

I’m looking at about 12 hours left to fire this mutha up. Nothing has worked correctly the first time on this car so I'm going for a worst case time wise.

After that, it will probably take me a month to get it tuned correctly.

I return home at the end of April. Hopefully, I can have it running by May and spit shined by my birthday in June.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Forgot about the exhaust.

Add about 30 minutes to modify the factory down tubes with new flanges.

I'm going to build a 2 1/2 " system later but for now the factory will get me on the road.

I have given you a whole day and nothing! Updates! Did it start up?! :D

I doubt he will be working on it before the end of April, you're going to be waiting for a while.

I return home at the end of April. Hopefully, I can have it running by May and spit shined by my birthday in June.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Nice work dwiggy, can't wait to see it finished!

Oh I was looking at
I’m looking at about 12 hours left to fire this mutha up. Nothing has worked correctly the first time on this car so I'm going for a worst case time wise.

Finally, the LS would make a good looking 4 door sports car with Mustang front and rear attributes...

That is exactly what i'm going for and i want to happen if ford wont bring the LS back and bring it to its full potential. Then i guess we will have to figure it out our selves lol.

It Works!

Fired the engine up at 2:00am on Wednesday.

It actually hit the first time. After a couple of tries the engine started and idled correctly. I was surprized to say the least. I took a big gamble that the computer would work and it panned out.

It runs good. I've driven about 75 miles. There are only a couple of minor issues with a drive shaft vibration and the Advanced Trac kicking in. I still have detail work to do and I'm hacking through it. I'm going to try to get my wife to shoot a video of the car driving soon.

Let me know if you have any questions.

First Start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmCESb4MgOI&feature=youtu.be

Engine Running with Rev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6W3CO0TY-U&feature=youtu.be

Sorry about the iPhone videos. I didn't think to turn the phone on its side...lesson learned at 2:30 in the morning...
Here are some pics of the final assembly:

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for the props people.

The car is running pretty good (as I stated before).

I am going to have to get with Oddball about the cooling fan because it's wired on all of the time.

There is a mild offset on throttle tip in because of the factory tune or bad gas.

I fixed the Advanced Trac issue by unplugging the switch -- who knew it was that easy... :)

The message center indicates 26.8 mpg at 70 mph average -- WOW!

Still a driveshaft vibration -- 200 dollars for the driveshaft was too good to be true.

I have the catalytic converters and x-pipe on order. When the 2 1/2 exhaust is professionally built I will have them check out the drive shaft.

I have to clean up the power steering line and the intake tube.

The new Explorer AC compressor and LS accumulator is on order.

Finally, the 302 sound is really great and the car has butt-loads of power. It really is more like what Ford should have done 12 years ago.

Thanks again for the following.

Finally, the 302 sound is really great and the car has butt-loads of power. It really is more like what Ford should have done 12 years ago.

Too bad it was physically impossible.

So, do ALL the electronics work?

Looking online this engine puts out only 210 crank in stock form.

Is this one built up any?

Awesome, dude. There's nothing better than the sound of a 302 with an exhaust on it. One of my favorites of all time. Good luck with it :Beer

Very interested in your driveshaft. As installed, does it clear all the stuff that would be in the middle from the factory? (My '02, of course, has the 'X'-pipe and resonators in that area.)

KS

Looking online this engine puts out only 210 crank in stock form.

Is this one built up any?

Explorer cam - 1.7 rockers - Aluminum Heads - HV Oil Pump - Total Seal Rings - ARP rod bolts - HP Bearings - Single Plane Intake - Trick Flow Plenum - 24lb injectors (vs 17lb Explorer)

It breaths much better above 4200 rpm than a stock 302

It might be closer to 211 hp ;-)

Members online

No members online now.
Back