LaserSVT 98 White Pearlescent Progress Thread

You ever think about sacrificing one of those cows as an offering to Fortuna?

If you haven't kept up with his newest thread, the motor in the white mark is done, I installed the crank pulley after he put new timing tensioners and the new reluctor ring, first there was a nice squeel from the front bearing and an unmistakable rod knock...the motor must come out regardless if I've stated the wrong bearing or not

so now we've gotta weigh the options and see which one will be more economical

Yes, sorry I have not kept up in my progress thread too.

Jeremy is right, loud squeal and loud knock that can be heard very clearly from the oil pan. The motor is toast.

Last night I thought my decision was clear and I knew what I was going to do. Today its a different story as there are some members that want to help and would allow me to bring her back to life and stay blown. I am talking to people now and figuring out what I want to do..... well I know what I want to do but have to sit on my pride a little..... and there aint much pride left! :rlaugh:

Alright ya'll, here is where we are at. I am getting the motor from Jamie and hopefully he can ship it next week. Gonna go through the motor and put in new gaskets and install my new tensioners and reluctor ring. Gonna go over the top end and make sure its all good an may pull a main or two and check the bearings.
Ordering an engine stand I found for $50 since its a must and gonna have an engine on it for a year or so. Also I need a cherry picker. I found a rental place but its $100 to rent and gas will be around $80 to get it then bring it back. Big issue is I think its too small. I believe I need a two ton to lift the car properly so I think I will buy the one I found for $200 then sell it after this is done to recoupe most of the cash. Will be cheaper then renting. Sapperfire has a fridge cart on castors that may work to slide the engine on the k-member around but not sure so I am checking into the cost of something to put under them to move them from under the car after its unbolted.

Thanks again LVC! Without the great kindness of some of you then this wouldnt get done. :)

Better then leaving it on its side on the ground. I am not gonna worry about it. Engine builders ALLLLLLL do it. Horse Power TV leaves them that way fully dressed for years then slaps them into a test car. Plus the Teksid block is the strongest small-block v-8 ever made. It rivals iron big blocks with its sheer strength. If an undressed long block cant sit on an engine stand for a bit then it sure as hell cant stand up to the power numbers a chit ton of people are making with them.

Its happening, as I said, better then leaving it on the ground on its side.

I bought my stand from Eastwood Company, it bolts to the motor mounts and is 4.6/5.4 only. Im just telling you exactly what the ASE says and what ive seen with the GM 3.8 short block i had on a stand for 18 months did.

GM 3.8 is a POS. That is about the weakest iron block out there.

When it happened to me it was a V6 short block, every engine at school (all of them new except the 305) was warped also(complete engines), some had been on stands for 2-4 years some were mounted last summer.

ASE states that bare blocks should be stored on wood standing upright (the same with heads) and complete engines should be stored on engine carts. Stands should only be used to do repair work where you have to have the engine upside down or the work cant be done in the car.

Gm 3.8. So much for that junk of a car that grand national is or the s/c grand prix. I say we go cheer laser up with a bbq at his place ill pitch in for food and coke/ice tea.

bill- damn havent been on here in a while i just cought up DAMN im sorry bro are u going to build it this time around?

If I can build a bomb, which was my job for 5 years, engine hoists and stands aren't very scarey
just have to calm down on my ammount of safety features

Just got back from gettin the tools to pull the motor. Fortunately Harbor Freight was running an even bigger sale in store on the hoist. Was $249 and was listed on line on sale for $179 but the dude told me in store it was $189. Well they had a big flier on the window for $159 but it didn't start till August 27th. Still when she rang it up it showed $159 :D Then I got another 20% off with my coupon. The stand was on sale too and with the coupon they both came out to under $190! :wrench

IMGP1607.gif

IMGP1608.jpg

For $40 I think it was a damn good deal. My plan was to list the hoist for $150 after we were done with it but its such a nice hoist and I will need to use it at least two more times after this so I may as well keep it. It folds up so its not like it will take up much room.

So I have gone into detailing mode since I have nothing else to do. I scrubbed the timing chain cover down till it was spotless. I was gonna paint it the same color as the blower but decided since I am painting the valve covers the same color that the natural aluminum finish would look better on it. So since the valve covers are gonna be metallic silver the brass colored dingy bolts wouldn't do so I soaked them in degreaser then sanded down each one with my rotary tool so that I could paint them with an acrylic enamel and then clear them.
Tomorrow I will do the timing cover bolts to match. Not sure why I messed with the studs for the valve covers since I will be ditching them and just run all bolts. I dont have the EGR stuff any more that used to mount to the studs so no sense keeping them. :shrug:

IMGP1610.jpg

IMGP1617.jpg

Also noticed the tensioner and idler were looking a bit haggard so I scrubbed and sanded them down too. :)

IMGP1609.jpg

IMGP1611.jpg

IMGP1618.jpg

Yeah I figure now is the perfect time so over the next week I will try and clean up every nut, bolt and bracket under the hood and see if helps out on the way it all looks.

I cant believe how freakin hot it is out! :( All I did was assemble the engine hoist and I was just freakin soaked in sweat when I was done! Too farging hot out.

Hoist sure did look smaller in the store.

IMGP1619.jpg

Laser you are gonna be the Mark 8 Guru soon, every time I get online you and Sapperfire are tearing something down and putting it back together. Its a sick obsession aint it?? Lol, good work nevertheless.

Yeah its all my friends on heres fault! :lol:

I see the beautiful cars on here and think I wanna do that to mine too and do it then break something else. Or I let Brandon talk me into it being an easy job and then go buy all the crap to do it. :lol: Every things easy to him. Its his blanket response! "My car just got ripped in half by an 18-wheeler" Brandon: "No problem! Thats an easy fix! All ya have to do is ..... blah blah blah..." :lol:

Then when I get overwhelmed and wanna give up, you guys light a fire under my ass and get me to continue on. If I cant do it or don't have the things needed to do it then LVC almost always comes through with help on that front too.

I love this place most times. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back