IMRC question

raido1980

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what would happen if the butterfly valves on the IMRC were removed? How would the car react?

I do believe without them it would be worse. Unless you have heavy mods.

it would essentially be a homemade iimrc delete plate which will cause loss of low end torque and give you a little extra hp on the top. It is generally not advised unless you have 4.10 or bigger gears.

Bank 1 on my IMRC's (pass side) are stuck open...and the car is SO much slower when they are stuck open.

Edit: I have stock 3.07 gears (base model) so as Calabrio said maybe steeper gears would have made it more acceptable. But in stock form it is a definite bad idea!

Often asked question- and the conventional wisdom is that it's a bad idea unless you have very high gearing or some kind of forced induction. The consequence is that you have no low end torque, the car bogs down.

What's causing you to want to delete them? Are you having trouble with the control module or are yours leaking at the o-rings?

And completely unrelated, I was just wearing a t-shirt I bought in Troy, NY today.
Small world.

Often asked question- and the conventional wisdom is that it's a bad idea unless you have very high gearing or some kind of forced induction. The consequence is that you have no low end torque, the car bogs down.

What's causing you to want to delete them? Are you having trouble with the control module or are yours leaking at the o-rings?

And completely unrelated, I was just wearing a t-shirt I bought in Troy, NY today.
Small world.

Mine are leaking, as well as stuck open. There being an overall pita.

the physics is easy, long tube runners good low end torque, short runners good high end torque. as with everything air will take the path of least resistance which happens to be the short runners so u lose your low end torque, unless u got forced induction like was mentioned above.

my .000002 cents

i will be getting rid of mine when i swap to a cobra intake. i am hoping with a good dyno tune the low end will not be to bad.

i will be getting rid of mine when i swap to a cobra intake. i am hoping with a good dyno tune the low end will not be to bad.

From what I've noticed, the Mark's performance isn't much to brag about below 3000 rpm anywho. So I'm inclined to believe that with your gears you wouldn't miss the low end torque.

Small world.

Hahaha, yeah I guess so. Where was the shirt from in Troy?

uhhh if you think there's no low end now, wait until you take them out. You should also know that the cobra intake will sacrifice a little low end for top end as well.

That Harley dealership. My wife bought it for me visiting family one time.
I drive through Troy when visiting the inlaws on the other side of the Vermont border.
It's a beautiful part of the country.

That Harley dealership. My wife bought it for me visiting family one time.
I drive through Troy when visiting the inlaws on the other side of the Vermont border.
It's a beautiful part of the country.

Ohhh, I know that dealership. Yeah rt 7 is a very pretty drive. I drive it often myself when I want to go cruisin.

I know this is old but I'm changing the gaskets for the whole intake system so I was just wordering the same about taking the butterflies out.....I have 4.10s and a 3k stall and ill get a tune eventually.?.?.? So r my mods acceptable and not sacrfice much bottom end if any at all?????

I know this is old but I'm changing the gaskets for the whole intake system so I was just wordering the same about taking the butterflies out.....I have 4.10s and a 3k stall and ill get a tune eventually.?.?.? So r my mods acceptable and not sacrfice much bottom end if any at all?????

Unplug the IMRC solenoid and see what the difference would be.

so basically im doing more harm than good gotcha

I have heard there is tuning issues that would help some of the lose of low end. I had one side stuck open and noticed the difference in low end and that's with gears/stall. I wouldn't recommend it.

I think your stall is not high enough, plus no tune, plus stock intake?
Leave them in.

Members online

No members online now.
Back