I think I like the way this looks....

yeah i'm liking that two tone grille myself that looks awesome, dont like the bird wheels though, but that has to be the first time ive seen that done to a white gen 2 grille, that looks really good.

hey you leave bird wheels alone!!! at least i have the sport center caps, no big bird on mine

Don't knock the bird wheels...they were FREE! So they always look that much better to me! I need to do something about the center caps, but I'm not sure what. Those are the early style SC wheels, which I like better, but they have an off size center cap so none of the blank ones will work. I thought about just filling it with body filler and repainting the center cap, but then I'll lose that polished aluminum look.

I'll try to get some more pics of the grille tomorrow. I just need to get some new batteries for my camera. I actually should take some pics of the car, since the last time I took pics of it was with paint still peeling on the front bumper and grill. That pic was taken by someone else at the charlotte autofair a few weeks back. Part of the reason I did that was to match the niteshaded tail lights

Now I just need to tint the windows, black out the chrome around the windows, and flat black the woodgrain inserts in the door panels (woodgrain console trim has already been done in black). And if I get really ambitious, I'll put black seats and carpet in it too! That's probably not for a while though.

True, I really do wish they were directional. If I could get a company to make a reversed direction early SC wheel, I'd definitely buy a pair.

There is nothing wrong with black wheels or a black grille, It's the rest of the car that has been ruined.

stick on hood scoops are the big thing here. a friend of mine bought that 4 door pontiac thing with the v8, i call it his "GPC" for generic pontiac car. he put some kinda flowmaster crap on it with big tips, a chip, tint, and stick on "ram air" scoops.

i beat his ass by well over a length and a half. my "tired old lincoln" with 160k miles on it. :)

Finally got around to getting new batteries, so here are some more pics.
HPIM0616.jpg

HPIM0621.jpg

HPIM0622.jpg

HPIM0623.jpg

Before paint
HPIM0599.jpg

And having some fun on the way out to Chicago
HPIM0620.jpg

awh, Hotties, give the kid a break....even though some of the mods are....well, a bit out there, he had to care about his Mark a lot to put that much money and time in it.

Do like the black grill. Does it come black on the base 2nd gens? I thought the colorchromatic (or wahtever the continous color from the car to the grill is called) was a benefit of a 2nd gens LSC model.

Sure wish I could put my grill in the crusher!!!

Smooches!

Base 2nd gens got a chrome grille. LSCs got the body-colored grille. Mine is an LSC, but when I was repainting the grille and front bumper, I decided it would look better with the center of the grille blacked out.

He should have at least put 4 Buick ports on each fender.

3 ports = 6 cylinders

4 ports = 8 cylinders

Idiot.:D

yeah but if you dont wash all that bug s**t off you'll be painting the bumper again in no time! bug and tar remover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least he knows how to paint it so when it goes to :q:q:q:q again he can just do it again lol...

I want to learn to paint.

Yeah, I really need to get off my @$$ and wash my car. I still haven't wetsanded and buffed the bumper since I sprayed it, so if the bugs do get stuck to it, that should take care of it.

Kustomizingkid, if you want to learn to paint, then pick up a gun and get to spraying. It's only paint, so the worst case, you sand it off and start over again. I firmly believe that having the gun in your hand is the only way you are going to learn though, so pick one up, and maybe grab some parts at a junkyard and get to practicing. This was actually the first time I had sprayed 3-stage pearl, so it was a bit of a learning experience for me too. I think it came out looking pretty good for a first time pearl job.

Hell Ya!

What kind of gun/guns do you have??

I actually have a really good excuse to try painting, my crown vic got hit in a parking lot and I got $1400 from insurance to fix it, so far I spent $105 on all the parts I need, so the rest can be devoted to paint.

Those are 35th ann. ed. wheels(niiiice:D ), loved 'em on my 90 sc, hated the non directional thing too. If you blacked out the centers they would look much nicer, IMO. Cool ride.

Yeah, I would say you have the perfect opportunity to learn right there. You definitely won't spend $1300 on the materials, even if you have to do it over a couple times, so now would be a good time to do some work yourself, learn a new skill, and put some money in your pocket all at the same time. What exactly needs to be repainted on the vic?

I have 2 guns, one that I bought from MAC and spent about $250 on, and one that I bought at home depot and spent about $80 for. I currently use the home depot gun just as a primer gun, but I have painted with it before, and it does a decent job, I just wouldn't want to spray more than a couple panels at a time with it. If you really want a nice gun, go spend $800 on a SATA gun. Those lay down a really nice finish! Unless you are doing this for a living though, its hard to justify that much of a cash outlay. For starters, just to learn the basics and for your first couple small jobs, a cheaper gun will be fine. What you want to make sure of is that it is gravity feed, and is an HVLP gun. You will also need a pressure regulator at the base of the gun. The ones with a gauge on them are more expensive, but with time and practice, you can adjust the pressure based on the sound and feel, and the way the paint lays out. For starting out, you might want to spend the extra on the regulator with the pressure gauge though.

The other thing with painting, is don't cheap out on the paint itself. The more expensive paint will be much more forgiving in terms of how it lays out when sprayed. I usually use PPG Deltron, which costs about $60-100/pint. If you cheap out and get the $20/pint paint, you may end up more than making up for that cost in extra time spent on the job, and I find the possible hassle and aggrivation isn't worth the small amount you save. This is especially true if you are painting in a garage, or outside, or somewhere other than a dedicated spray booth. Certain chemicals in the air might cause the cheap paint to fisheye, whereas the more expensive paint will be more forgiving.

Oh, and speed demon, those actually aren't the 35th anny wheels, they are regular SC wheels that I repainted. They came off an SC that my buddy and I bought and parted out, and while I had them off, I scuffed them up with a red scotch brite pad, sprayed them with some 99cent rattle can flat black from home depot, and then sprayed a hardened urethane clearcoat over top of that. Since I already had the clearcoat from a previous job, all it cost me was the roll of masking tape ($3), 2 cans of spray paint ($2), and a scotch brite pad ($3) for a total of $8 that I have into those wheels! Plus I sold the 10-spokes with flaking chrome for $100, so I couldn't be happier with those wheels. I have thought about painting the center caps black, but I'm undecided on whether I would like it or not. I think I'll wait until another SC pops up in the junkyard and I'll grab the centercaps off of that and shave the bird out of them and paint them black, maybe even put the lincoln star on them, and see how I like that look. If I decide I don't like it though, I want to still have the ones with the polished look to go back to.

Yeah, definitely do that yourself! Go grab a gun, and find a place near you that mixes and sells automotive paint, and pull the bumper and header panel off and have at it! That's a small enough job that you will almost certainly be able to do a decent job of it, even having never sprayed before, and then it will also boost your confidence for other jobs you might want to take on later.

For something like that, I wouldn't think twice about buying a cheap gun at Home Depot. The one I got from there is made by Husky, and for as cheap as it was, it does a damn good job! Like I said, I wouldn't want to spray more than a few panels at at time with it, but for something that small, you'll be fine with something like that. No need to buy expensive equipment that you are hardly ever going to use.

Hmmmm.... I'm getting more and more tempted to try this...

If I learn how to paint I might try crazy stuff, like repainting the bumpers on my Mark...

Members online

Back