I can just friggin scream! Found what was wrong with my motor.

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So as I was detailing the parts today I grabbed the oil pan and started to scrub it down. As I turned it upside down I hear a clattering sound...... :( ...... I reach in the hole and find this:

IMGP1675.jpg

A gawd dam timing chain guide chunk! :mad: I look at the timing chain right where I knew it would be.

IMGP1674.jpg

Looking in my pictures of when I first cracked it open I see that chunk is missing from before. That was my fuggin noise, engine is just fuggin fine! I am so fuggin pissed!

I found this chunk at the exact time Jamie texts me to say the engine was JUST picked up.

I cant take this chit any more. There was no reason for me or Sapperfire not to see that. I even posted pics of where it was missing the chunk and nobody here caught it either. When does it get caught? 5 seconds after its too late to stop the new motor coming.

My level of chit luck no longer amuses me. Its all I can do to keep from pulling a "Ripped Camel" on my car right now. I am so fuggin angry I am shaking!

Are you absolutely positive that's what was causing the noise? If so, I'm sorry you didn't find it sooner. That sucks.

No, not positive but if you saw the inside of my motor then you would know why I am 90% sure. The motor is so clean inside! I took off two connecting rod caps and the bearings are almost perfect! Couple light scratches but cant feel them with your finger. No discoloration at all as well. I kept saying over and over it was timing chain guides but got sidetracked when I saw the broken gear so I neglected to completly go over the guides. I am so sick right now.

Bill, go look at my post over in your progress thread. Have you pulled any of the main caps yet?

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel better I left my car in Illinois over a mis-reporting temp gauge. I coulda taken it to Boscobel and not spent a fortune on plane tickets and bugging everyone for help!

You can always sell back the extra motor and get some of the money back.

When you get a job consider getting a cheap beater so you can make this your hobby car. When stuff like this happens you can take your time and not worry about your ride. I love my Geo!

Anyway, good luck!

I wouldn't be suprised if the plastic tensioner had broken right where the metal part is and you were metal to metal that you could have that noise, but i'm still betting on main bearing...

bill i didnt get what you were talking about from your texts, now i get it, but listen dude, all the trouble you have had since you put the blower on whats wrong with having another motor? put yours back together, and drive the car, take the new motor and build it right, or just leave it in the crate and resell the thing, this sucks but something tells me if you put your motor back together and fire it up i feel you are still gonna have something wrong with it. sorry about the outcome dude i hope it all straightens out for you.

I wouldn't be suprised if the plastic tensioner had broken right where the metal part is and you were metal to metal that you could have that noise, but i'm still betting on main bearing...
Well only three left to check. It started raining sideways so I had to cover it back up.
Pulled the front main and the second one. I also pulled rod bearings for pistons 1,2 and 6. I have to spin the motor to pull number 5.

I am by no means an engine guru but it looks pretty good to me so far.

IMGP1676.jpg

IMGP1680.jpg

IMGP1678.jpg

IMGP1679.jpg

They do look good so far... I just can't believe a tensioner like that making all that noise.

I have to go with Dan on this. All that noise from the tensioner? Does not make sense. I think if you were to fix the tensioner and put it all back together and in it would still make the noise and let go if you drove it. Getting deeper into the motor as you pull it completely apart to build it the true culprit will show.

i say just put the newish motor in from jamie and save the old one to build the way you want

You have gone through all of this and now have a spare engine. I would continue as planned because if something has not let go yet, it would have eventually.

mike had a chunk of the timing guide in his oil pan as well...which was very similar to yours and he had no noise's at all. Not that it is'nt your problem. I would still install Jamies motor and build yours or sell yours if that's what you need to do. Just to be on the safe side.

im with you guys, put the motor in after you spend 2 days trying to get the crate opened, and take your motor apart completely, remove all mains, take the crank out, knock the pistons out, take it to a bare block, store the block indoors too so the cylinder sleeves dont rust. my motor runs fine bill, after you put all the crap back on it to make it run, it will be a perfect bandaid motor to get you by long enough to build a real motor. like in 8 mile (just stick to the plan man, do your job, and stfu)

Thats the plan guys. I get over stuff fast and figure out how to make it work.

See my engine build thread for rebuild ideas. :)

No, I have some. I DO still need the evap cans.

I had a similar noise in my original green Mark engine.

I'll be taking it apart soon, and I'll look for the same thing.

Members online

Back