Getting ready to pull my engine....

Good progress Mike, that repair area in the wheel well did you tig weld that in or mig weld it.

Mig..... We don't have a tig welder out there at the shop. But that Miller does a fantastic job, so ya can't complain. :)

Mike

I agree Miller makes a great mig welder. I have used their mig welders before and they do a great job.:cool:

Update 04/22/06

Did alot today.

I Got the car up on the frame rack, and got the door pillar pulled back into specs. (the door was installed with washers shimming it out to fit the fender correctly).

Both of the rocker panels were stripped, which is no easy task with all of the rock gaurd on there. While stripping it off, I uncovered a rust hole thats shown in the pictures. That was a little bit of a suprise to me, but it's no big deal, just a little more time to repair.

The car is ready to go in to the booth to get it's "final" coats of hi-build primer. I will have to strip the rear section of the 1/4 panels to mold the LMS 3 pc wing in correctly, but this will allow me to get everything else done in the mean time.

Other than that, the project is comming along smoothly, Cobra R hood, and wing will be here friday, and I am ordering a set of 18" Bullits with a set of Hankook Ventus V4ES H104's to wrap em.

June 1st, We leave for Carlisle. :runaway:

Mike

100_1651.jpg

100_1654.jpg

100_1655.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_1660.jpg

100_1663.jpg

100_1674.jpg

100_1677.jpg

100_1678.jpg

100_1679.jpg

100_1680.jpg

100_1685.jpg

100_1687.jpg

100_1690.jpg

100_1692.jpg

100_1694.jpg

100_1696.jpg

You're stepping on that poor Cobra's face!

Awesome. Keep up the good work. :D

Leg room is no problem.

Head room on the other hand..... :)

I pulled the car into the booth to spary the primer. Sorry the pics are'nt any better, but the windows are small on the doors.

Mike

100_1699.jpg

100_1700.jpg

100_1701.jpg

100_1703.jpg

You make me jealous Mike. To be able to have a place to do the work you are doing and the tools available... Plus your skills...

Wish I was closer so I could help and learn more.

Love watching the progress can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks Rich....

Like I said before, Thank Gary Blum.

He has done alot for me regarding this project, and even more for the other VIII's. It's his shop, that he built from the ground up WAY back when he got out of the service.

I'm just lucky to be able to work there.

Mike

Oh I know where you are doing the work. I'm still jelous!! Great to have a place to do what you are doing. Think about how much you are saving, 1 having the place to do it, and 2 having the skills to do what you are doing.

I have 2 friends who own body shops but there is no way I could ever use the place to do my own work, although they do help me from time to time.

Damn rocker rust, mine is starting. Project looks great, can tell you know what your doing. Been a while since I painted a car, its coming up soon thou. The MarkVIII paint is and has been going to heck and the Town Car only needs paint to be complete.

I would love to have that level of body skills. I am not even 1/50th that good.

Dr. Paul said:
You're stepping on that poor Cobra's face!

thats how its done! Scratch that cobra off and put a lin star on it! i know you can do it. your the magic man.

nice

just curious... you still got that parts car kickin around? if so i could most certainly use the driver's side outta door handle off of it :D

Yes, i still have it, but it may have to wait a while till I get everything else done, I have ALOT to do before carlisle.

I'll let you know when i get it off.

Update 04/29/06

Got quite a bit done today,

The "shell" of the car is ready for paint, along with....The front bumper cover, mirror housings, and I got the trunk and rear bumber cover in primer. Tomorrow I'll get that sanded Down and ready for paint. If all goes to plan, You guys will be seeing color by the end of the week.

Less than a month to go, so I'm gonna have to start pouring some work into it.

Mike

100_1707.jpg

100_1708.jpg

100_1715.jpg

100_1718.jpg

100_1719.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1727.jpg

100_1728.jpg

100_1729.jpg

100_1731.jpg

100_1733.jpg

100_1737.jpg

100_1738.jpg

100_1741.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1752.jpg

100_1755.jpg

Mike this has been a great thread watching your hard work and skills...

I think you are scaring Joey!!! You know he wants to be #1 this year...

Not sure if it's your goal but with the efforts you are putting in, it should be!!!

Mike, what color of primer are you using, it looks like you ar using two different colors.

Well, the reason you see different color is, Because of the guide coat.

After the actual primer is sprayed on, you take an areosol can of something that looks like flat black paint, and spray it over the fresh primer. The reason for this is.....

When you are blocking the primer to make it flat and smooth, the guide coat shows you where your low spots are, because you sand it off of the high spots of the primer leaving a black low spot. (It just helps you get the finish prefectly smooth.)

Mike

wow, and to think me being gone for a month and i missed all this?! dude, you are GOD! that car is looking great. keep up the hard work and it will sure pay itself off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back